Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, since I upgraded the OS on my phone to 6.0.0.668 I started to experience ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

Collie no está en línea Stack level 2

Browser problems after software upgrade

Advertisement

Hi,

since I upgraded the OS on my phone to 6.0.0.668 I started to experience problems with my Blackberry Browser. Every now and then I receive an error notification "Sorry! We're closing this page because it is too large to load." Is there something I could do to fix the problem?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Collie, have you tried pulling the battery for a few minutes? Sometimes after a software reload, a battery pull will fix a few leftover glitches.

Give it a whirl and see if it helps.

Hi Riger,

thanks for the tip, but it doesn't help.

<rant>
    I did a little research on the web and I found out that RIM is aware of this problem and their solution is to get a new phone (???). I mean, what's the point of issuing a new version of OS for the devices that don't have the hardware requirements to run it properly? (and I didn't go and search for this new software - after I installed DM on my new PC and connected my 9700, I got a notification about the OS upgrade, so I went with it. Since I had great confidence in RIM so far, I didn't have a worry on my mind and I didn't search the web for the possible downsides to the new OS. Guess I should have done it...) This is all very disappointing for me, I am a BB owner for over 4 years and I was always extremely pleased both with the phones and with the software, and whenever I wore down my phone, I didn't even think about anything else than checking out the available BB models. But this "buy a phone with more RAM" answer really changed my mind and I'll think twice before purchasing my next smartphone.
    </rant>

During my web-research, something else came to my attention - a tool called "BB Boss". If I shrink my OS using that, will it leave my with enough RAM to run the BB Browser normally?

Also, I tried Opera Mini and it works like a charm, but I'm not so sure how is that going to affect my phone bill - if I understood correctly, my data plan includes unlimited Internet access, but only through BB Browser. So I browsed just a little and I'll wait for my next bill to arrive and check if my operator charged me for that.

<rant>
    But, what pisses me off about this is the fact that Opera Mini can work perfectly fine on the same hardware as my native browser, which means that there are solutions to the browsing problem other that "purchase a new phone"...
    </rant>

Sorry about all the ranting, I just had to blow off some steam.

chantal7399 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    Ah, we are in the same boat. I have had blackberries for 6yrs now and this software up grade was a huge disappointment. I have to use Opera Mini because the new browser is horrible. What were they thinking getting rid of column view?!?!! The Opera browser isn't GREAT, but it will load pages (but no animations). And you can't select text.

I also hate that the new BB software has all these sub menus: downloads, favorites, etc. I just need them all on one page and scroll down. And with the trackpad, it's easy to scroll from the 'all' menu to the other useless ones.

I love buttons, but with this stunt, I have decided to go with a Droid Bionic. I know it will be frustrating getting used to the touch screen, but I'm done with Blackberry.

If you've been around the forums long enough, you'll know you're not alone. Many people frustrated with RIM at this point, myself included, which drove me into the waiting arms of the iPhone 4 back in June. Because of my relationship with BlackBerry Support forums, however, I was given a free BlackBerry 9900 to try out. It's a great device and a vast improvement over devices such as the Torch and others, but RIM still has a long way to go to remain competitive with Apple and Android.

Collie, as for BB Boss, I have not personally used it, and caution you to be extremely careful in doing so, but know people who have used it successfully. You don't want to go removing something that will make your device inoperable, but I have heard of people who were able to shrink their OS considerably, freeing up a lot of RAM.

Chantal, FYI, in OS 7 there is now an option to show only the "All" panel, which I really like.

PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    The OS7 is for the 9850 (which isn't available at TMobile), correct? My 9700 says the software (6.0 bundle 1879) is up to date.

Yes, OS 7 is on the 9810, 9850, 9860, 9900 and 9930. I think the 9810 and 9900 are available on TMO, are they not?

PIN/ID
    21A1626C
    they probably are, but i already went with the .01 deal amazon was having on the bionic, so i'll be switching to verizon. the phone should ship in 8-10 days.

Congrats on the new device! Let us know how you like it!

OK, back to the initial problem - I have disabled Java Script and embedded media in the browser options and that seems to have solved the "sorry, your phone's not good enough to display this page" issue. Funny thing that RIM support didn't see that as a simple solution that would definitely sound better than "go and buy a new phone".

Considering BB Boss, maybe I'll give it a try if my phone gets slow with time. The thing is, I don't have almost any 3rd party apps (in fact, I only have Google maps I think) and - according to the status display - I have somewhat over 70 MB of free RAM (with the browser running, and loaded the Internet page that used to give me the annoying message). That should be enough RAM to run the browser properly, shouldn't it? So, since I doubt that it's related to my problem, I will not mess with the OS shrinking for now.

Yes, 70+mb should be plenty, and honestly, I've never heard of this issue before. At least you've gotten it resolved for now, so that's good news.

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    i've been having the exact same problem using the native browser; sometimes i get prompted to close some tabs even when i only have just 1 other open. and other times it just closes all together. I used to get that annoying clock just to load or scroll through pages (which is now a good indicator that the browser can't handle the page and is about to close). i also have few 3rd party apps but for some reason i have about 45 mb of ram left...it's getting very frustrating overall. i guess i'll try using opera mini again but last time i used it i got a message saying it wasn't compatible with os6 so i deleted it when i upgraded...i'm considering getting a torch from ebay at some point. but i'm in the process of getting a playbook on black friday so i doubt i'll be using my phone much other than to talk on it.

Opera is definitely compatible with OS 6 and 7 as well, as I have it on my 9900.

Go to m.opera.com from your device browser and it'll automatically detect your device so you can download the appropriate version.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Opera mini had a recent upgrade, I use it on my Torch (OS6) it is brilliant, far better than any of the previous versions. Just remember that you do have to keep the native browser for installing certain updates.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Opera is definitely compatible with OS 6 and 7 as well, as I have it on my 9900.

Go to m.opera.com from your device browser and it'll automatically detect your device so you can download the appropriate version.
    thanks when the 9700 initially came out my opera mini wasn't compatible but i guess they have updated it now. this should relieve my stress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast