Problem: When trying to re-install an operating system that constantly intializes, Desktop Manager will not recognize the device.
Solution: The following walkthough!
Thank you to Pentace
for this excellent walkthough:
FYI this will work for any handheld that constantly initializes.. aka the hourglass of doom.
1. Install the desktop software.
2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
3. Pull the battery out of your device.
4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
7. Select the application loader icon.
8. Select all software you want installed.
9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.
10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery.
Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.
THIS MAY FAIL THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME DONT WORRY JUST KEEP TRYING.
If you do not get it by the 3rd time.. download the Blackberry java developers kit and install it. once installed find the javaloader.exe file and move it into the c:\ directory
Once it is under the c:\, go to start then run and type. cmd.exe
After the command prompt apears type in "c:\javaloader -usb wipe" to wipe the handheld
*The reason I have highlighted Step 13 is that this is very important to do BEFORE the DM tries to re-start your device because it WILL NOT re-intialize your device IF THE BATTERY IS NOT IN YOUR DEVICE.