Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffallen8

Hi Guys I have been missing in action for a while. I gave my daughter ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

Sherobin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2157E9CE

Blackberry Bold 9700 - Water Problem

Advertisement

Hi Guys

I have been missing in action for a while. I gave my daughter my Blackberry Bold and she decided to text whilst in the bath with wet fingers.

Anyway water got into the phone. I took the phone apart and put it in the airing cupboard, then used the hairdryer to try and dry it out. All the time the phone was still working except for the keys on the top next to the track pad would not move. I eventually put the phone in rice for 3 days. Took it out last night put it back together and it started up but with a white screen and nothing else.

I plugged it into the pc and did a back up which worked. Then tried to put the OS back on thinking maybe it was wiped. The phone rebooted back to a white screen. No idea what to do now, can someone please tell me what to do to get it up and running again or do I have to bin the phone. Please help in laymans terms as I do get very anxious when it comes to things like this.

Thanks in anticipation.

S
    BB Forever - One Love (Sher)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome back, Sher!

Sounds like you did all the right things, although the rice probably should have been the first thing you did.

I'd say leave the phone alone for a couple of days with the battery out, then try rebooting again. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll boot normally.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Hi Roger

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will leave it in the rice until the weekend.

If it still does not load, what do you suggest I do? The thing is when I plugged it into the pc it backed up all her 700 text messages which she did in a space of ONE day. Yes I know!!! So the pc is definitely recognising the phone!

Is it a bin job?

Sher x

Sounds as though the internals are working fine.....it's something with the display that has gone haywire. Do the rice thing and if it's still not coming up with the display, you might be able to get it repaired.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Ok will do that and report back at the weekend. Hope its not going to cost more to repair than its worth or I wont bother, will just chuck it away!!

Thanks Roger x

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Take the phone back apart and look and the logic board for corrosion. I'm guessing that ribbon that the screen uses to connect has corrosion on it. Also take a look at the connector that the track pad uses and make sure its clean also. I have seen times where a dirty track ball/pad area cause the keyboard to act up.
    RogerG likes this.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Thanks, Jeff!

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Okay I have taken the phone out of the rice. All the keypad are now moving freely. I plugged into the pc and backed up the data as the pc recognised the phone. All I am getting is a white screen on the phone now when it turns on.

Not sure what to do next.

Anymore suggestions?

Sx

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Okay I have taken the phone out of the rice. &nbsp;All the keypad are now moving freely. &nbsp;I plugged into the pc and backed up the data as the pc recognised the phone. &nbsp;All I am getting is a white screen on the phone now when it turns on.<br><br>Not sure what to do next.

Jeff I have not taken the phone apart as I know nothing about phones. I just removed the back and the battery.

<br><br>Anymore suggestions?<br><br>Sx

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah there's something wrong with the Screen mechanism. You will find videos out on the web that can instruct you on how to replace them if you are so inclined. There are places like www.cnn.cn where you can purchase the parts. They also have instructional videos.

Otherwise a repair shop could do this.