Hey everyone, just curious to see how many Tour owners are using both GSM and ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

Question BB Tour on GSM and CDMA

Advertisement

Hey everyone, just curious to see how many Tour owners are using both GSM and CDMA on their devices. I would really like to get another blackberry and get down to one phone vs carrying 2 all the time (work and personal). My work device is a Verizon Flip and my personal is a iPhone through ATT.

I want to get a Tour so i can have Verizon, and ATT in one device. I guess ill be able to just switch back and forth between the radios (CDMA/GSM) through settings.

Who out there has currently tried this out or is doing it right now? Just looking for some expierence and feedback to help persuade my decision.
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

lvmonkey no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm not sure if this is even possible; I'm not aware of any device that 1) operates concurrently on two differing networks, or 2) switches between networks on the fly.

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Interesting but I don't know if that switching is actually possible.

PIN/ID
    296C692F
    Actually I was referring to being able to switch back and forth. I saw a while back it might of been on CB forums that you can switch to gsm while on verizon (which will disconnect your verizon service and you will not be able to send or recievr data or calls while on gsm) and vice versa.

I just didn't know the success stories of others that may have done the same.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    296C692F
    **UPDATE**

I found a person on CB forums saying he is using the Tour on Spring and AT&T at the same time. You can switch radios from one (CDMA) to the other (GSM) and which ever radio is active, the other line is off (if someone calls that number it goes directly to voicemail) You dont have to pay for a BIS/Data package on the GSM side, but the data wont work, txt/sms and voice still works.
    If you pay for the BIS on both sides, it should work, apparently the user has not added BIS to his GSM line yet.

Long story short, it works, a few people have tried it. Only downfall is the GSM radio is only EDGE/GPRS not 3G while in the US. No idea why, but im still looking into this.
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    BB Bold 9900

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Should work. The reason you wouldn't get 3g on the GSM side is that the bands are for Europe. Blackberry made the Tour for Verizon and Sprints CDMA network, but business folks who travel abroad needed GSM support so they could use European SIM cards when they travelled. The GSM side is purposely unlocked so that the use of an AT&T SIM should be a simple plug-and-play.

Not having GSM 3g really shouldn't be a problem though as long as you use the CDMA side for data/email functions.

PIN/ID
    296C692F
    Exactly, but most AT&T blackberries are edge besides the bold and that is 3G. So I wouldn't have a problem with the slower data.

It's a great alternative to carrying 2 phones
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

cellfservices no está en línea Stack level 1
    Finally, I've joined pinstack and I'm glad these types of questions are here.

I'm sure you've all heard of "unlocking your phone" before and that is exactly what you have to do here to use both the CDMA and GSM portions. We try to spread the word about this and educate end users of what the real benefits of unlocking your phone is through forums as well as our blog. Anyway, let me try to answer your question in as few words as possible.

The way people use their CDMA Blackberry (8830, 9530, 9630) on GSM networks is because these "world phones" are technically not 100% CDMA phones. For those of you that own a Tour or Storm, you'll notice that there is a SIM card slot behind the battery. That is what will hold your SIM card and allow you to use it on GSM networks (ie. AT&T, T-mobile, Rogers, Fido etc). However, carriers and manufacturers add a "SIM Lock" which restricts your phone to from being used on other GSM carriers. (Ex. Verizon will put a Verizon SIM Lock on the phone, so you can only use the Verizon world sims when traveling).

So what do you have to do to use the GSM portion on all worldwide GSM carriers? You need to remove the SIM lock! This is what companies like myself and hundreds of others do. You need to request an unlock code, but for Blackberry phones, they are called a "mep2". I'm sure if you google search "unlock blackberry tour 9630 mep2" you will find a ton of sites that will be able to provide you with an unlock code and instructions to unlock your phone.

Because the Blackberry Tour 9630 is a quad-band phone, you will be able to use it on any GSM carrier worldwide. On the other end, the Blackberry 8830 is only a dual-band phone, so you can only use it in Europe and Asia.

After getting your unlock code, and entering it into your phone, you simply do a battery pull, insert your GSM sim card, put the battery back in and let it boot up. Go to manage connections and then mobile network options, then make sure that beside network technology it is on GSM/UMTS. Then your unlocked phone will allow you to connect to the SIM card's network (ex. at&t on a Verizon Tour).

You cannot use both at&t and verizon simultaneously though. You will have to switch back and forth from CDMA to GSM and vice versa as both technologies cannot be on at the same time.

Now the real beauty of unlocking your phone isn't to use it on multiple networks in the same country, but it is to use your phone while roaming so you can actually eliminate your roaming fees. That's for another day though. We blogged about it in response to another forum member's question if anyone is interested.

Hope this answers your question!

Director447 no está en línea Stack level 2
    HI, The Tour on AT&T or T-mobile is not just plug and play, the Service Books have to be sent to the phone, after you use Crack utility to remove the file Net_ Rim_BB_Browser_ daemon. Then you reinstall that file, after you transfer the service books using the BB desktop file transfer. You can not get the browser to work, unless you do this. This is the same as the procedure on using the BB Storm on AT&T or T-Mobile. The Blackberry Guru PlTaylor outlines this whole process on here. Put the Tour on Global and your Good to go. bye Director448

PIN/ID
    296C692F
    yea i had to do that when i was testing my verizon 9530 on ATT. But ive decided to think about the new curve 8520 or 8530... Dont know which carrier im going to go with, but i really like the touchpad vs the scroll ball.

Good info and thank you to everyone who posted.
    BB Bold 9900

skkhyati22 no está en línea Awaiting email verification

Blackberry unlock from CDMA to GSm

I tried to unlock my handset from CDMA to GSM so that I can use my handset abroad. However, it does not go through;
    The process I have is ;
    Options===> Advanced Options=====> SIM CArd====> type MEPD===> Network status is INACTIVE (where it should be active).
    I asked few technical guys they said its not possible to unlck the handset unless the network shows active.

Can someone help me to reset the handset so that it can show network active and I can unlock the handset to GSM.
    please help