Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OriginalLucy

A couple of days ago I turned my wifi on for the first time for ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

BB Bold 9900 wifi problem

Advertisement

A couple of days ago I turned my wifi on for the first time for awhile because the network was very slow. After I got online and did what I wanted I turned it off but now it keeps turning itself back on. I can turn the wifi off and a few mins later it's back on. How can I stop this because it runs my battery down about twice as fast as it should. Any ideas?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Battery pull?

Welcome back, by the way.

Thanks for the welcome back. Did a battery pull with no help. Also I've not loaded anything new for sometime. It's been 3 or 4 weeks since there has been even any updates to any apps I have. Was wondering if ATT could have did something to try and force the wifi on to help with data use. I'm not a heavy user at all. Its funny because I can turn it off and with in mins it's back on

The purpose of wifi is to you don't HAVE to use data. Been awhile since I had a BlackBerry, but there has to be settings to prevent you from automatically connecting. Have a look here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...1570010_11.jsp

I disabled my home network so it doesn't connect but the phone still turns the wifi on

Do you have the latest OS for the device?

Are you using Fixmo?

OriginalLucy no está en línea Stack level 3
    I use a BlackBerry (the name pinstack came from the BB pin). Do you have your phone set to connect to open networks? I had my 9780 set to do that and it came on whenever I was in range of wifi.

Lucy's back!

Yeah, we know where the name PinStack came from.

Seriously, though, that's what we've been trying to tell our friend bmanley here. Make sure the settings are such that they don't automatically connect to an open network.

Hey Roger, you are always on this site, do you never sleep? The OP should check to see if he has the settings to set to connect to open networks. Otherwise, if the wifi is disabled, then it shouldn't be scanning. Might need an OS re-install or a hard reset and update. Cheers and good to read you. I lurk a lot without signing in.
    RogerG and dushdavj like this.

Don't be a stranger!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Wow two names I haven't seen for ages and both still using blackberries great to see! Don't be strangers please we need BlackBerry people to show some of us still like me them
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Or the OP could always bridge with the PlayBook and never worry.

Back on topic, OP, did you try resetting your router? I had similar happen to me once and I deleted the wifi profile on my BlackBerry and reset the router and then added it again,also,you may have an app that wants to "call home ", like a weather app or gps, etc.