Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

I have the new 9900 and I have to say that having owned many BBs ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

Battery Life

Advertisement

I have the new 9900 and I have to say that having owned many BBs over the years, this one has the worst battery life of the lot.

I guess that with a faster processor and smaller battery than my 9700, it is not surprising that this problem has arisen.

The phone is beautifully slim - but at what price?

The battery life aside, it is a great phone.

I do hope that a higher capacity battery will become available - without the need for a new back
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thanks for the heads up, sinkers. Good to see you again.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Wondered how the battery life would be. Also wonder why they think we all want the thinnest phone we can get? I want a phone I don't have to worry every hour where I can get my next charge.

Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    Wondered how the battery life would be. Also wonder why they think we all want the thinnest phone we can get? I want a phone I don't have to worry every hour where I can get my next charge.
    I think we can thank Motorola for the Thin Thing. They started it when they rolled out the original RAZR way back in the olden days - you know, when there were dinosaurs and stuff - and since then it has been a selling point. On the 9900 you lose battery life, and you lose the camera's autofocus. And that's the only compromises we know about to get it Thin so far - there may be more problems that pop up as time goes by. We'll see!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Mark, that raises a question, when is thin too thin?
    Personally I prefer a little junk in the trunk with my devices, and I'd rather have features than less bulk. The flip side is I do prefer tabs thin.

I loved the old 7520, it filled your hand and was easy to type on. Not sure how many times I dropped one with never any troubles. Can't say that about any phone out there today. We have no need for a thinner phone and maybe one day they will figure out we do have a need for one with great battery life. Ive got the 9800 right now and hate this little keyboard so I can't wait for the 9900 to hit but at the $299 price it may have to wait

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I think you will find as some time goes buy, your battery life will improve!

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    From when I've used it the battery ife can run down a little faster but i guess it's also on how you keep settings set on the device. I know there are a lot of apps that are being utilized that ping the network for location (such as tracking apps for security, or for insurance, or for netowrking). I'm a very heavy BlackBerry user and can get about a full day of use.

When RIM designed the 990 they wanted something sleek with excellent battery life. And thats it. A few things to keep your battery life up would be keep screen brightness a little lower, keeping it high is actually dangerous to vision, turn of wifi or bluetooth when not needed, also if yu live in an area where you don't have "4g" then turn it off because that wiill kill your battery life, screen timeout you don't want set high 20-30 seconds. things like that.

What apps are you running on your device?
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

In my case the brightness is on the lowest, the screen dimming is 10 seconds, the wifi is off, Bluetooth is off and NFC is off. Social feed updates are set to the most infrequent checking. I only have the standard apps running (phone, BBM, web and email). I have a very good 3G signal for 95% of the day. The phone is set to auto on / off over night. Even location services are turned off. I probably use the phone for a maximum of 30 minutes a day and receive about 100-150 emails a day. I barely use the web browser - if at all and BBM usage is minimal. I am not sure what else I can do to minimise battery usage to be honest.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    wow! that could just be a defective device, talk to your carrie to see if they can exchange it. how long is the battery lasting?
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

I's probably now lasting a day and a half.

Morgase no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    If you're getting a day and a half out of your 9900 then you're doing good. I have to recharge mine at least twice a day. I do have heavy bbm and I'm usage. Skype up all day. Everyone complained about the 9800 battery. L0L. I've had the 9000, 9700, 9800 and now the 9900. This one is by far the worst on battery life. I agree with the others that they sacrificed features and a better battery for a slimmer design. I came back for the form factor. Even having smaller hands, I prefer a bit more bulk to the body. Over all its a great phone and I'm hearing that some of the newer OS builds are addressing some battery drain issues. Guess we'll have to see.
    Sometimes at night, the Moon howls and the Wolves listen.

~Morgase~
    Device Pro, Bellshare Moderator

For Bellshare support please go to:
    Bellshare Customer Service

The big problem is they make the battery smaller and there is not allot that can be done with the program to get longer battery life from a smaller battery. I still love the fact that you can still change the battery out yourself unlike the iphone so I hope rim doesn't decide they can get more battery life if they just don't make the battery easy to replace

hitesh83 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Got the same issue, battery takes me up to 4pm and its at 20% i know a few people with the ssame phone and have all said the battery life is really crap, ive set the phone up so everything is on power saver - duno maybe its me who keeps picking it up an playing with ir for no reason lol

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Maybe I received an exceptional copy of the 9900. I have bluetooth and wifi turned on constantly. I turn of NFC all the time. I am a big BBM and IM user as well. Though I use Skype, I don't keep it running when I am not using. Twitter and FB notifications are constantly coming in and I have location services running all the time.

I am on the phone from the start of the day until the end of the day. I am seldom below 1/2 battery when I plug it in at night. I keep the screen at brightness level 3 and have the screen blanking set to 30 seconds. I find the battery life better than my 9000, iPhone 4 and HTC Incredible S.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast