After 2 years without a Blackberry I gave into impulse and bought a Torch today. ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

ghettomedic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    28028AA4

Back to the Blackberry

Advertisement

After 2 years without a Blackberry I gave into impulse and bought a Torch today.

I like it so far, the combination of physical keyboard and touchscreen is nice. I haven't had too much time to play around with it yet though.

Would be nice to use BB Maps instead of the AT&T nav though.

BUT, I found out at the Torch 9810 is coming out in 10 days so I think I will use the 30-day return to upgrade to that, if the pricetag isn't too steep.

Jim
    _______
    Jim Girvin
    CC/NREMT-Paramedic
    EMT-Tactical

flight.medic.752@gmail.com
    PIN: 28028AA4

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Hi welcome back to BB .. I would recommend Google maps, its better than bbmaps. ATT navigator is basically TeleNav and is great if you dont have a GPS navigation system with voice directions, trouble is is that it does not come cheap. Good luck getting the 9810 it has a much faster processor and more memory, I like the 9800 but would love to have the 9810 or 9850

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    This file enabled BB Maps on AT&T 9800 at one time. http://www.gln.bz/ads.nsf/bbmapslaunch.jad

I have no idea if it still works.

I have QuickLaunch. BB Maps will open on AT&T branded devices if you have QuickLaunch.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    welcome back to BlackBerry hope to hear your take on the new torch once you upgade and have a chance to play with it

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    28028AA4
    I've read the reviews for the 9810 and I think it will be worth the $35 restocking fee for me.

This was purely an impulsive "I want a Blackberry" move. LOL. I may regret it in 4 months after playing the increased wireless bill. LOL

Jim
    _______
    Jim Girvin
    CC/NREMT-Paramedic
    EMT-Tactical

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome back, Jim! Even though you've been away from BlackBerry doesn't mean you should've stayed away from PinStack! We've become the place to be for all things smartphone, whether it's BB, iPhone or Android.

Laura pointed you to the BB Maps launcher. It does still work as I used it on my Torch when I had one. I'd definitely go back for the 9810. Hopefully they've revamped the Torch into what it should've been the first time around.

PIN/ID
    28028AA4
    From all the reports I've read and reviews, it will be a good phone. I'm looking forward to it. I deal with a specific sales rep and she knows to hold one back for me already. LOL. she was surprised when I showed her the leaked reports. She hadn't even known it was going to be released or the price point.

Jim
    _______
    Jim Girvin
    CC/NREMT-Paramedic
    EMT-Tactical

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    9810 will be $49.99 after rebate on August 21rst

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

PIN/ID
    28028AA4
    Picked up my 9810. My saleslady did not charge me the restocking fee, which was nice of her.

I LOVE this phone. Transferring everything from my iPhone and the BB will once again be my primary handheld.
    _______
    Jim Girvin
    CC/NREMT-Paramedic
    EMT-Tactical

Cool, Jim. Anxious to hear your thoughts after some time with the updated Torch.

PIN/ID
    28028AA4
    The 9810 is snappier in response. with the 9800 I had some freezing issues. I would take it out of the holster and touchscreen would work but none of the hard keys.

Not so with the 9810. The BT seems to connect quicker, more automatically (if that makes sense) when I am in range of my headset. The wifi connects quicker also.

the H+ speed rocks!!!

Only issue so far is that some of my apps are not upgraded for OS 7 yet.

I like the silver/titanium color better than the black. I like that I can manage panels in OS 7.

At this point, the only reason to keep the iPhone is because my company doesn't support BES and I need to the exchange email for global address list and calendar sync.

Not very wordy or well written but a quick review from a 9800 upgrade to the T-2 9810.

Jim
    _______
    Jim Girvin
    CC/NREMT-Paramedic
    EMT-Tactical

Thanks for the quick review! Seems the 9810 is a vast improvement over the 9800, which is good news. I was never very comfortable with my Torch having been spoiled by the build quality of my previous BlackBerrys, which is what prompted me to move on to the iPhone.

Will I be back in Black anytime soon? Dunno. We'll have a look at what RIM has to offer next year and see what's up then.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    I like the color on my 9800 over the new silver color on the wifes 9810. But if I put it in the otter box you don't see the color much

HippieCowgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had several issues with the original torch....freezing and battery issues after a few months and the battery just kept getting worse. I love the 9810 so far and I have the silver one which is very sleek. The OS 7 is very fast and the phone itself boots up faster than the 9800. Only complaint is the fact that some of my apps are not available for the 9810, main one being my banking app, but I was able to go to the website and save the mobile login to my bookmarks for easy sign ins. The transfer of contacts and emails along with all other pics and videos was fast and easy and I did it myself from my laptop.
    I look forward to finding out what all has been improved on the 9810 and hopefully they will fix the apps that are not available pretty soon.

jamesdenoil no está en línea Stack level 1
    go for storm 9530...i find it better than 9810 but it has some wi fi issues with it