Am having to send my torch 9800 back as faulty and having a new one ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

snowmonkey no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Any way of backing up old texts?

Advertisement

Am having to send my torch 9800 back as faulty and having a new one arrive.

Does anyone know if it's possible to back-up all my texts from my current phone onto my PC? Ideally I'd like to transfer them back to the new phone, but even if I can't do that, saving them as full threads would be really helpful. Seems to only offer option of forwarding individual messages and have too many to do that and need them for work.

Thanks in advance. Hope to hear from some kind soul soon as need to wipe the phone as courier on the way with new one!
    SM

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have a look at an app called DexRex. Should help you out.

Hi Roger, thanks for your helpful suggestion (once again). I had to act fast as OH was about to pull the 'kill' switch. Found some software called Berry Express which saved them in a simple Notes format in chronological order which I then cut and pasted to a Word doc. Not ideal and obviously won't sync them back onto the new handset, but at least I have them captured, albeit it a rather rudimentary form.

It really pi%%es me off when a faulty handset ends up wasting hours of time I. Trying to fix it, backing up, then trying to capture all the in for (which never works 100% in my experience) and then takes hours again to set up the new phone. My Torch was less than a year old and this just keeps on happening.

Waste of life! Maybe if phones were properly tested before they rushed our a new model every few months we'd all end up with better experiences.

Ok, rant over, and thanks again.

Tab
    SM

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonkey View Post
    Hi Roger, thanks for your helpful suggestion (once again). I had to act fast as OH was about to pull the 'kill' switch. Found some software called Berry Express which saved them in a simple Notes format in chronological order which I then cut and pasted to a Word doc. Not ideal and obviously won't sync them back onto the new handset, but at least I have them captured, albeit it a rather rudimentary form.

It really pi%%es me off when a faulty handset ends up wasting hours of time I. Trying to fix it, backing up, then trying to capture all the in for (which never works 100% in my experience) and then takes hours again to set up the new phone. My Torch was less than a year old and this just keeps on happening.

Waste of life! Maybe if phones were properly tested before they rushed our a new model every few months we'd all end up with better experiences.

Ok, rant over, and thanks again.

Tab
    SM
    your post screams iphone
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Your rant is one of many reasons people ( including me ) have bailed on the BlackBerry platform.

Hi Catside, I think most, if not all, of the different manufacturers are guilty of churning out endless new models without soak-testing. It's the case with all consumer electronics. Just too much competition that they all have to keep up with and too many folks wanting shiny new, new things. I'd just like a bit of stability without items becoming onbselete in circa 3 years. And as for iPhone, I think the word 'aerial' makes the point.

Roger, out of interest, what have you moved to? Am getting to the point where my loyalty to RIM is waning. Do like a keyboard, but need to face facts that I'm probably becoming a minority there. Also, suspect RIM won't be around for too much longer.

Night folks (am in UK and 1am)
    SM

iPhone. Does pretty much everything you describe above.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Point taken.

Physical keyboards are getting more rare by the day. If you want a nice updated device you will probably want to learn to live without them.Some current android phones still have nice keyboards.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Hi Snowmonkey,

Another option for backup is BerryGrab.

I also will most likely switch from Blackberry. I am not a fan of iOS or Android, but I think Windows Phone looks promising. I was a Nokia user before I was a Blackberry user. My next device will probably be the Nokia Lumia 900, which will be available in the US in March. Apparently it and the Nokia Lumia 910 will be available in Europe. http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/n...spotted-online
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Very interesting points (insomnia has now well and truly set in - 4.15am here in UK). Laura, I too was a huge Nokia fan (6110) before BB. Hadn't heard of the one you mention but then we're behind you guys with releases over here. Will look into that. As for keyboards - am typing this on an iPad, but just cannot get on with the pop out characters on an iPhone. Guess just a case of getting used to it if physical keyboards are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Atb
    SM

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Actually it looks like some of the new Nokias are already available in Europe, even though they aren't available here. The Lumia 800 is available in the UK, but I am not aware of any US providers who sell it. http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia800
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611