Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By PapaMag

Why is it that you can't unlock a Verizon BlackBerry and use it on T-Mobile? ... BlackBerry Smartphones forum

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda

9650 With Big Red

Advertisement

Why is it that you can't unlock a Verizon BlackBerry and use it on T-Mobile? Can't believe the answers I'm getting. If you can unlock other carriers why not Verizon?

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You can, Craig. Who's telling you you can't?

You'll only get Edge, though.

How to Enter Unlock Codes on Verizon/Sprint BlackBerry Tour (9630) and Bold (9650)

1) Turn off the phone
    2) Need a SIM card inserted into the phone (Example: Verizon, At&t, T-mobile)
    3) Turn on the phone
    4) Go to Settings
    5) Go to Options
    6) Go to Advanced Options
    7) Go to Sim Card
    8) Press following buttons: mepd or meppd- If 'Network' says 'Active', phone is locked and continue doing instruction Step #9. If 'Network' says 'Inactive' or 'Disabled', phone is already unlocked, no need to do Step #9 since prompt will not show for unlocked phones. If 'Network' says 'Unknown' this means the phone has no SIM inside the phone or that the phone is not recognizing the SIM card and you need to insert a different SIM card. If 'Network' says 'Blocked' this means the phone is already hardlocked due to too many wrong attempts and there is nothing to do to unlock this phone
    9) HOLD ALT and press: mep2 (Please note that you will NOT see what you type on the screen)
    10) Enter the code, Remember you ONLY have 10 chances to get it right
    11) Enter the 8 or 16 digit unlock code and then press trackball to confirm and your phone is unlocked!
    12) A message will appear saying Code Accepted
    13) Turn device off by removing battery, insert SIM of your choice if have not done so already. Turning device is necessary even if you have SIM of choice inserted.
    14) Turn the phone back on
    15) Go to Settings, then Manage Connections, then Mobile Network Options and set the Network Technology to GSM/UMTS.
    16) Set Network Mode to 3G & 2G.
    17) Press the Back Arrow Button once to exit and save settings.
    18) Inside the Manage Connections, set Mobile Network to on.
    19) Return to the main screen by pressing End Call and you should see your phone getting signal
    20) As a reminder, if you ever remove the SIM card from your phone, you will need to set the Network Technology as GSM/UMTS again

Issues:
    1) If you have issues with the phone not recognizing the network, make sure the radio is on by making sure it is not low on power.
    2) If you follow the above instructions and code is accepted with the Network Technology set to GSM/UMTS and still not working, it may be the SIM needs to be replaced with a newer SIM Card.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well tmo of course is telling me which can only be expected. My wife is being forced into retirement along with me and they are giving her a 9650 and her laptop. We have a Curve with tmo, so maybe we'll just sell the Bold. Thanks Roger I was pretty sure it could be done.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

If you need a code, I got those instructions here: http://www.emptyink.net/Blackberry.htm

9 cents. I've used them 3-4 times.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    This is the reason folks why if you need a smartphone questions answered PinStack is the place to go. Lock this site into your favorites then come on in and check out what's happening. Thanks for the info Roger you are the best
    RogerG likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color