I just here its like jail breaking...jail breaking, what is that ? I go to ... Android Smartphones forum

KTW Guest

what is bootloading ?

Advertisement

I just here its like jail breaking...jail breaking, what is that ? I go to an istore to ask and the sales rep just tells me its illegal and that she wouldn't have the conversation with me. so I was hopping if someone here could tell me what bootloading and jailbreaking are? and if it even is illegal (referring to both jailbreaking and bootloading)... looking forward to an answer, thanks.

Salismoore no está en línea Stack level 1
    ping me on 30796FF5 i will tell u something ok

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by KTW View Post
    I just here its like jail breaking...jail breaking, what is that ? I go to an istore to ask and the sales rep just tells me its illegal and that she wouldn't have the conversation with me. so I was hopping if someone here could tell me what bootloading and jailbreaking are? and if it even is illegal (referring to both jailbreaking and bootloading)... looking forward to an answer, thanks.
    II'm guessing by "bootloading" you are referring to rooting an android device? Its not illegal, it does void your warrenty.
    I'll explain more but even though this is in the android forum, sounds like you have an iPhone (since you said "istore). You'd have to get one of our iPhone guys to explain jailbreaking.

If you did mean rooting an android, post back.

KTW Guest
    yes rooting.

Rooting is gaining low level access to your androids file system/os.

Out of the box there are certain things you do not have access to, like the system files. Once you gain root you have gained access, thus the ability to change/modify/delete these files, amoung others. There are apps on the market that allow things like full backups, tethering (free tethering) and more.

If you obtain root AND have an unlocked bootloader you have the ability to change ROMs (the version of Android OS), do nandroid backups (carbon copy of your phone, apps and all).

All of this is legal, however it voids your warranty.

KTW Guest
    How do you do it? do you for example go: Settings, this,that ect. or do you download and run it as an app? in other words does this feature come pre-installed on the device or do you need to download it ? and if so, from where?

I purposely left that out.
    What device do you have?

Watching Harry Potter at the moment with my boys. Will help but gimme a little bit.

KTW Guest
    currently I know its impossible. I have a phone running on windows 6.5 but looking to upgrading to either Sensation or Galaxy S2.

Try those devices first. Since you're new to this first get your feet wet. I wouldn't recommend rooting until then.