**UPDATE, Issue is resolved, I can actually use this thing now. GG Verizon** Ok people, ... Android Smartphones forum

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Time for change: Four {Hectic} Days witht he HTC Incredible

Advertisement

**UPDATE, Issue is resolved, I can actually use this thing now. GG Verizon**

Ok people, It has been much longer than I expected before I would post something about my initial time with the ADR 6300, the HTC Incredible as it is most commonly known. I pretty much waited in anticipation for the delivery guy from FedEx to come knocking on my door on Wednesday, but alas it didn’t come and I had to head to work. Of course it showed up while I was troubleshooting TW’s digital phone and broadband customer issues…I got home around 1 am and went straight for the FedEx box, ripped into that sucker like it was Christmas morning. Not much to it, just the usual VZW paperwork and the box containing phone. All it contained was the device, battery, usb charge/sync cord and the usb/ac adaptor, oh, and the manual of course. I performed a close inspection of the components to make all was good before I continued (they were).

I inserted the battery and awaited the boot up sequence…and waited..and waited…well crap this isn’t a blackberry..let’s try the power button. Whala! There’s the splash screen…I let the process finish up and observed the device’s OS initial startup and awaited for the setup process to begin, which it did. I really had no intention on activating the phone at the time and only wanted to explore its innards and connect it to my 802.11, and explore its wifi reception range by connecting to all my neighbors wep and wpa networks that I cracked…(it’s pretty good, but I’ll get to that later). All looked good, skipping the activation step was a pain but got it done, and started my exploration. Then it rebooted on me. Ok, on biggie, its just a startup thing I can see it rebooting a time or two. As I started my exploration again it rebooted once more. Ok. Then did it again and again and again. It was continuously rebooting! WTH!?! Did I get a bad phone? That is what I had to tell myself, there is always a bad batch out there somewhere and someone has to get them. So I even entertained the idea that maybe it was a thing about me not activating it on the network, but even VZW isn’t that sinister. K

Aggravating to say the least.

So I booted the device into the bootloader to see what the options are and selected recovery boot. No good, same deal…so again into the bootloader, this time I selected factory reset..again no change, so now I decided to contact tech support and see if they had any insight on my dilemma. They actually had none, apparently I was the first, if not the only, case of this happening. I went over my trouble shooting steps with the tech and there was pretty much nothing else to try. The tech spoke with her supervisor and looked over any bulletins that may have been posted on the matter and there was none of course. Oh, as a funny side note, the tech asked me how I knew to boot into the loader..my response was, “well hell there are only three buttons on this thing and a battery”. Apparently I was the first case that was soon to cripple Incredible sales in my part of North Carolina and Louisiana. Interestingly enough I took the device to work with me the next day just to mess with and show my coworkers what a 200 dollar high tech brick looked like when it never rebooted once for the 12 hours I was there. I was perplexed to say the lease, did it fix itself? Will I even need the replacement? Well the short answers are no and well no…as soon as I got within range of my house it began its power cycling again…Is it my house? Does it maybe have a bad wifi radio? I turned off all wireless services, still no go.

Well I put it away and decided to hit the sack and wait for the next device to show.

Then FedEx guy showed up around noon and once again I ripped into the box and assembled the phone and awaited boot up. This time it was pretty stable it worked fine. I started thumbing through the phones menu, all was good, I connected it to my home network, all good. Let’s activate it. About two minutes after I made my test call it started power cycling again. Well crap.

Time to change tactics; I dug into Google only to find no hits on the subject. So it’s time to start making some calls and beat a different bush, also compose a couple emails to my special super secret contacts (not really super secret, but it sounds cool) that I have within the VZW ranks. And low and behold someone pointed me to a network tech who had info…a couple minutes on the phone with the engineer and an email appeared in my mailbox describing the issue. Apparently there is a huge network glitch (and I’m not going to get too deep into to the particulars) in which the IP info within the EVD0 signal is incorrect and causing the device to power cycle while within the affected tower regions, effectively making them inoperable. This affected west central NC (from western Greensboro to west of Winston Salem and most of Louisiana), and effectively causing a freeze in sales of the devices In those respective areas. This even affected the way the phone charged incredibly (a pun?), as that I charged the phone all night only to awaken to the phone with about 10% charge with the battery info page showing the device as being unplugged from the charger for over 7 hours. Odd enough, but makes sense.

Just to let you know, before I get too deep into this, I’m a satisfied BB Storm user and really had/have very few qualms with it. I think for early adopters of tech bits you have to understand that there will be issues, resolutions and more issues with more resolutions. It’s all a matter of if the issues get resolved or not in a timely fashion.
    Now that is out of the way, let me just tell you a bit of my first impressions of the OS and Sense UI and some of the features that I was able to experience between power cycle flare ups. It’s fast. As my MotoDroid coworkers said to me, “real damn fast”. There was barely a conceivable lag switching between screens whether it was a slide or a touch, it just changed screens smoothly and fast. GG SnapDragon. In the short time that I had it activated setting up email was quite simple, although it did take me a minute to figure out which gmail setup works with sync (so I could grab my contacts of course) I felt stupid for about 2 minutes. The initial setup process walks you through activating the phone and setting up email(exchange, pop3 and imap) and wifi. Scrolling is fast also, and quite controllable. Contact list is called People…what’s wrong with just calling it Contacts? Also, it would be nice if there was a search option within the People folder for contacts similar to what the Storm has. Otherwise you can use the fast scroll to sift through them, but those of you with 500-1000 contacts won’t be doing it that way I doubt. When you dial within the phone dialer it will populate the contact window above the keys with the contacts whose names start with the letters associated with the numbers you press. Very similar to the BlackBerry. Typing takes a bit of getting used to, the keys are small in portrait mode and switching between numbers and letters are opposite of the berries. As is the caps key, I have to untrain my fingers for this. Landscape is much easier to deal with but you can only rotate the phone in one direction for it to toggle… Texting is ok, I’m not crazy with the format from what I have seen so far, but my understanding is there are some options for that and I will look into them. Return is just that, next line..if you want a smiley, you either have to manually insert it with characters or press Menu->More->Smilies. And if in landscape mode you have an extra touch to send message.

The browser is fast, fastest I’ve seen on a phone. Wifi is quite instant, I really didn’t have much time with the EVD0 side of it, but from what I was able to see from within my house, which btw has sketchy EVD0 service, was much faster than my storm (running .580) or any other blackberry I have used for that matter.
    Voice quality..limited as my time has been with the device activated, I was able to make and receive a few calls. The sound was very clear and the volume range was good, the other side of the conversation apparently was able to hear me quite well also. I will test the reception of the device in some of the rural areas leading up to and including the Blue Ridge Mountains once their network issues are ironed out.

So that is my first initial experience with the Incredible. Not great per say, but I do understand how these things can happen, and hate it for any carrier/company that runs into a crazy issue like this one.

C.
    Last edited by caustic; 05-03-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Very unique bug apparently. Any ETA on this being resolved?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's pretty crazy, hope they get that fixed quick! Look forward to hearing more once things are back to normal and you have had more quality time with the device!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yeah me too! Anyways, when i got home from work last night it seemed to be working fine. I was too tired to mess around with it much.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Archer2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wow, what a story.

I've had mine for a couple of days. It's been great thus far, even better than my Droid. Since I have everything (contacts & such) in my iPhone 3Gs I'm still using it as my primary device till I get time to get them into gmail. Then I plan to designate the Incredible as my primary smartphone & move forward accordingly. While not quite as mature & refined as the iPhone, the Android OS is headed for complete success. I believe they have a clear path to dominance.