Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So tmobile is offering me a free Behold 2 (with contract extension) I've been using ... Android Smartphones forum

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Thinking about switching to android...have some questions.

Advertisement

So tmobile is offering me a free Behold 2 (with contract extension) I've been using a BB Pearl 8100 for the past 2 yrs...it has it's issues but I'm glued to it simply for the BBmessenger since i have a few friends on it...What i'd like to know is, are there any apps available for the behold 2 or android that would allow me to communicate with the friends that are on BBmessenger? (probably not, but who knows with all these developments going on). What is so great about these android phones that can't be done on a blackberry?....Yes i'm a rookie...the last time i was in here this site was dedicated to solely BB users, now look at it....anyhow, i'm just hoping someone can give me more incite before i make the switch, or if i should.

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I switched from multiple BB's (8900, 9000, 9530, etc.) to an HTC Hero, and I can say that the biggest difference for me is the user interface. The full touch (Storm doesn't count), and the ability to customize via widgets is a refreshing change from my BB's. There isn't really anything that can replace BBM, but I simply chat with my friends on gtalk, gvoice, facebook, or old fashioned text messaging.

As far as suggestions go, I would try it out. You need to find out what works for you, and what satisfies your needs. People can talk about which platform is better than the other, and things like that, but if it doesn't fit for YOUR life then it is useless. Good luck, and welcome back to the stacks!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I'm glued to it simply for the BBmessenger since
    Along with a LARGE portion of BB's current customers.

This is what I would call an example post or where a large percentage of BlackBerry users have been for the last year. However, its good that you are choosing opening up to "smartphones" as a solution on a whole and regardless of the platform in your search for the best solution for "you". Still, for you that may or may not be Blackberry or Android.

Lets think about BBM and the effect that it has been creating of locking/cornering its users into a "situation", your situation of building all these communications and links to other via BBM and then having no way of exporting these contacts outside of BlackBerry platform. Were you fully ware of this fact when you started making connections? For many users the answer is "No". Therefore, is this is a plus for consumers? What are trends showing as far as cross-platform supported features?

Now, there are many instant messaging type substitutes for BBM, but I'll be honest here, there's NOTHING quiet like BBM! But that's ONE feature. So what are you willing to sacrifice "not having" for that one feature? If you pull BBM out of the ppicture for many Blackberry still sits on top and for others they find their solution in other platforms.

I've heard good things about the Behold 2 but IMO, minus the screen far from the best of current Androids. But that's another topic.

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Android is awesome. Behold 2 is glitchy with that Samsung UI on it. I'd recommend the nexus 1, or the mytouch

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Although there is nothing that allows other platforms to communicate via BBM, in my months of Android use, I have easily found other ways to communicate, twitter, gtalk, sms, email, I have pretty much kept in contact with everyone.

I am a fan of pure Android, not real fond of teh UI skins some manufacturers are placing on devices, I am with disturkis4u, go for the N1 over the behold
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    +1 for any phone besides the Behold II. I had one for about 2 weeks, and when I got my mytouch, it was an upgrade. The wonky TouchWiz ui is not smooth and takes some getting used to. The battery life was terrible, it would die 5 hours into an 8 hour work shift. The only thing I miss about it was the camera, it was excellent. However, the camera is useless without a smooth-running os or a decent battery life.

Go into a store and play with different models. This is just my opinion and experience!
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I reccomend the Nexus 1

You wont be dissapointed. This thing is fast and ferocious, not to mention sexy as hell too. The arrival of better apps really turns your experience around. Blackberry is stale and losing BBM is worth the sacrifice. Better web browsing, gorgeous screen, and a youtube player that streams beautifully. The Email and the touchscreen will take some time getting used to, and the battery life is sometimes atrocious, so buy a car charger, and you will be all set.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by btompkins0112 View Post
    I switched from multiple BB's (8900, 9000, 9530, etc.) to an HTC Hero, and I can say that the biggest difference for me is the user interface. The full touch (Storm doesn't count), and the ability to customize via widgets is a refreshing change from my BB's. There isn't really anything that can replace BBM, but I simply chat with my friends on gtalk, gvoice, facebook, or old fashioned text messaging.

As far as suggestions go, I would try it out. You need to find out what works for you, and what satisfies your needs. People can talk about which platform is better than the other, and things like that, but if it doesn't fit for YOUR life then it is useless. Good luck, and welcome back to the stacks!
    Well i was leaning towards a BB storm simply because it was a blackberry and transferring my stuff wouldn't be a problem as i would just need to plug it into my desktop manager and it would recognize it (i assume)...My friend has one and he doesn't like it. and after spending about 5 min. with one i can see why...You are right though, there are pros and cons to every phone out there as i spent a good amount of time comparing a few smartphones on cnet.com. I think considering that i currently have an 8100 pearl and "forced" to stick with the 4.2 OS I'm willing to switch to the Behold since it's free for me....thanks to all for the incite.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Along with a LARGE portion of BB's current customers.

This is what I would call an example post or where a large percentage of BlackBerry users have been for the last year. However, its good that you are choosing opening up to "smartphones" as a solution on a whole and regardless of the platform in your search for the best solution for "you". Still, for you that may or may not be Blackberry or Android.

Lets think about BBM and the effect that it has been creating of locking/cornering its users into a "situation", your situation of building all these communications and links to other via BBM and then having no way of exporting these contacts outside of BlackBerry platform. Were you fully ware of this fact when you started making connections? For many users the answer is "No". Therefore, is this is a plus for consumers? What are trends showing as far as cross-platform supported features?

Now, there are many instant messaging type substitutes for BBM, but I'll be honest here, there's NOTHING quiet like BBM! But that's ONE feature. So what are you willing to sacrifice "not having" for that one feature? If you pull BBM out of the ppicture for many Blackberry still sits on top and for others they find their solution in other platforms.

I've heard good things about the Behold 2 but IMO, minus the screen far from the best of current Androids. But that's another topic.
    Yes I kind of knew that the BBM was solely for BB users. I thought that with all the app development these days (as the iphone likes to tout in their ads "there's an app for just about everything") that someone had managed to develop an app to communicate to BBcontacts...oh well. As it is, I'm not the type of user that depends on it. Sometimes I don't hear from my contacts for weeks. I know that in the BBforums people like to list their pin#'s which always puzzled me as you would have essentially random strangers sending you messages all the time...As for the "substitutes"; sure i can use msn, aol, yahoo, but not everyone is on those and if they are they're not logged in all the time...There is something about the BBmessenger that "feels" like you have your friends at your beck and call all the time. Although this can pose as a problem as you can see if they read your message or not and if they do and they don't respond than it's cause for a slight rif between friends depending on the situation. Not to mention that using BBmessenger does not use up your text messages, which is good for those of us that DO NOT have an unlimited plan, like me. Well i'm sidetracking here...
    Anyhow, other than that my BBpearl is pretty basic with the 4.2 OS on it and what i liked most about it compared to the regular "old school" cell phones that were just that "cell phones" was that i was able to connect it to my pc and upload and download all my info, pics, contacts, calender etc. which beat having to go to the provider's store and have them transfer your info (for a small fee). So if the latest trend of smartphones let me do that and so much more than losing BBmessenger is a small price to pay.
    Last edited by Optimus; 04-09-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    I reccomend the Nexus 1

You wont be dissapointed. This thing is fast and ferocious, not to mention sexy as hell too. The arrival of better apps really turns your experience around. Blackberry is stale and losing BBM is worth the sacrifice. Better web browsing, gorgeous screen, and a youtube player that streams beautifully. The Email and the touchscreen will take some time getting used to, and the battery life is sometimes atrocious, so buy a car charger, and you will be all set.
    I saw a review of the Nexus 1 and as i stated before; all those phones have their pros and cons. The nexus had some features that are not in the behold 2 and vice-versa. As of now price is a factor in that I would be getting the Behold 2 for free and the nexus would run me about $150...so in terms of comparing i would need to compare it to my BBpearl which I have to deal with the trackball sticking, the camera freezing, looong load times for viewing a pic., not to mention all the other subtle glitches that require the infamous battery pull fix. and the several years old 4.2 OS which is why i stopped coming into pinstack as everyone was way ahead of my time.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I saw a review of the Nexus 1 and as i stated before; all those phones have their pros and cons. The nexus had some features that are not in the behold 2 and vice-versa. As of now price is a factor in that I would be getting the Behold 2 for free and the nexus would run me about $150...so in terms of comparing i would need to compare it to my BBpearl which I have to deal with the trackball sticking, the camera freezing, looong load times for viewing a pic., not to mention all the other subtle glitches that require the infamous battery pull fix. and the several years old 4.2 OS which is why i stopped coming into pinstack as everyone was way ahead of my time.
    You poor soul. Switch to android and do it quickly, pay extra and purchase that nexus and the nightmares will subside.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    You poor soul. Switch to android and do it quickly, pay extra and purchase that nexus and the nightmares will subside.
    HAHA..well he is coming from a pearl, so any Android device, even the B2, will seem like heaven to him. I'm gonna dig up my old pearl and fire it up. Just for old time sake.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    HAHA..well he is coming from a pearl, so any Android device, even the B2, will seem like heaven to him. I'm gonna dig up my old pearl and fire it up. Just for old time sake.
    Exactly; pretty much ANY phone from last year (or 2) would be better than a pearl. You bring up an interesting factor in that i can always just fire up my pearl again if i want to use the messenger on it. It could serve as a "backup" in case my battery dies out on the android which it most likely will if i'm going to be playing with it a lot more.

Well, i'm not a big gadget junkie so running out to get the "latest and greatest" is not something i tend to strive on for 2 reasons. Price and the fact that you're phone will be outdated within 2 months...Example being the behold 2; I don't know how long it took for that to replace the behold 1, but i'm sure the Behold 3 isn't far behind. If i were to get a Nexus 1 now i would probably kick myself in 3 months cause the nexus 2 came out with satellite radio or a cure for skin cancer.

Storm75 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    So tmobile is offering me a free Behold 2 (with contract extension) I've been using a BB Pearl 8100 for the past 2 yrs...it has it's issues but I'm glued to it simply for the BBmessenger since i have a few friends on it...What i'd like to know is, are there any apps available for the behold 2 or android that would allow me to communicate with the friends that are on BBmessenger? (probably not, but who knows with all these developments going on). What is so great about these android phones that can't be done on a blackberry?....Yes i'm a rookie...the last time i was in here this site was dedicated to solely BB users, now look at it....anyhow, i'm just hoping someone can give me more incite before i make the switch, or if i should.
    Optimus, I used a Pearl 8100 for a couple of years, and then migrated to a Curve 8330 which I used for the past couple of years. Just last week I made the jump to a Moto DROID, and I couldn't be happier. For me it felt like going from DOS to a late version of Windows.

I am getting used to the new interface, and I luv the Apps MarketPlace thing.

IMHO, while I still like the whole BlackBerry concept, the world has kinda passed them by... again, just my opinion!

I predict you will like the whole Android thing... take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast