I've been debating between iPhone 4 & Samsung Captivate on AT&T. One confusion I have ... Android Smartphones forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Questions about themes for Android

Advertisement

I've been debating between iPhone 4 & Samsung Captivate on AT&T. One confusion I have is in regards to themes, or more specifically, modifying fonts & icons. I've never really been crazy about the choice of icons, especially the top row notification icons, on the Captivate. I thought the natural thing, like with BB, would be to simply find a theme I like better and put that on there.

But while searching for this info, it seems that putting themes is way more complicated than on BB (or others). Gotta go through PC, might need to root, etc. Am I understanding all this correctly? Is adding themes much more difficult than just installing an app? And is a new theme what I'd need to say, modify the icons that are on the top notification row?

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    1st off, Android offers the most customization of any operating system. So the short answer is yes, you have many apps that let you change your icons as easy as one click. A good example of one of these apps can be found here: http://forums.pinstack.com/f60/post_...ml#post1270863
    My last screen shots was from an app called ADW Launcher in the market. Free of charge and no rooting required. It has a bunch of themes to choose from but some themes cost .99 to 1.50. Thats just one app out of many.

But..There are many different levels to customizing Android, it just depends on how deep you want to go. Rooting allows you to change almost anything you like. As I mentioned above, there are apps you can download from the market that offer some level customization, but don't go nearly as deep as rooting. Also keep in mind rooting nowadays is done in one click. Very simple and something you will probably end up doing anyway if you buy the Captivate. I believe you have to jailbreak the IP4 to change anything which is insane IMO!
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Rooting is the same as jailbreaking...Though, unlike Android you cannot buy themes for the iPhone from the apstore itself. Thus, you will have to ultimately jailbreak that bad boy to enjoy it to the max. Both are great operating systems so I'd go with what best suits you. I like my iPhone because it can do tons of stuff my blackberry devices wish to this day do. Android and iOS are pretty much similar except that some specification are not quite there for one or the other for instance on the one hand you have facetime with the IP4 and some droid devices don't which is kinda stupid because majority of the phones have it by now. It's all a matter of preference i believe. I'd say try both and see what you like best. I tried the android device and didn't like much but then again it wasn't rooted just as a person who's a Droid head and tries an iPhone without jailbreaking it would say why would I want this I could just get an iTouch but if they try a jailbroken iPhone they'll be like whoa this is serious lol Trust me Rooting/jailbreaking is the way to have any device nowadays. Don't even try to go Blackberry because you'd end up paying for every app out there...Droid and iPhone devices can download free apps even those people pay for once jailbroken or rooted .

Good luck with your choice
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Good stuff rdills - thanks!

raton, yeah, having a hard time deciding between the two. iPhone still has no restocking fee on returns so prob be best to try that first. Also having mixed emotions moving away from my 9700!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I owned the 9700 before I decided to jump ship. I don't miss that phone at all. Would I trade my phone for the new torch? Nope, they'd have to pay me $1000 and pay for all the apps for bb since I can't get any apps free like I do on my iPhone. Blackberries are a thing of the past bro. Kinda like palm. Good luck though bro.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    I owned the 9700 before I decided to jump ship. I don't miss that phone at all. Would I trade my phone for the new torch? Nope, they'd have to pay me $1000 and pay for all the apps for bb since I can't get any apps free like I do on my iPhone. Blackberries are a thing of the past bro. Kinda like palm. Good luck though bro.
    So I guess we can conclude that you like your iPhone 4? Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    wow. now THAT is an endorsement! Agreed about Torch - came away disappointed with that, and in fact, that's what got me looking at Captivate & iPhone 4. Just curious, do you not miss things like the LED status light, quick zipping around with keyboard shortcuts, etc.? That's what I'd miss most I think.