Coming from the most successful Android device ever, the Moto Droid, i'm a hard one ... Android Smartphones forum

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

The Droid X Experience!

Advertisement

Coming from the most successful Android device ever, the Moto Droid, i'm a hard one to please. To beat the Droid, you need more than a snapdragon processor, wrapped up in a cheap, all plastic body, with an OVER-HYPED screen thats barely visible in sunlight! The Incredible, Evo, N1, all failed to match the Droid's fantastic build quality. Enter the Droid X! After watching weeks of reviews, even trying it out in the store, I figured I knew what to expect. Well, the Droid X has exceeded all my expectations, and has left no doubt that its the best smartphone experience I could have.

Build Quality & Design

The build quality is the best ever on a smart phone period. Not just the way it feels in the hand, or the fact the whole body is practically fingerprint proof. But the materials used really show Motorola's commitment to the Droid lineup. I can't stress enough how good it feels in the hand. The size took about ten minutes to get used to. If you can't pocket this device then you must wear all apple bottom jeans. Saying its not pocket-able is just ridiculous. The hardware buttons are so much better than the capacitive buttons that I hit on accident all the time.

Screen

Its gorgeous! I'll never go back a smaller screen again. It feels like where have you been all my life! The screen is also more accurate and responsive. Everything looks great, and i'm convinced, this is how Android is supposed to be viewed. Web browser and videos are a dream on this screen.

Keyboard

The multi-touch keyboard doesnt miss a beat. Its very different from the standard Android keyboard. There's a red bullseye, with a magnifying glass pop up, to move the cursor where you need it. It takes some getting used to, but when you do, it works like a charm. Swipe is also amazing.

UI & Performance

I don't know much about moto-blur since I added ADW Launcher as soon as I turned on the DX.lol The themes look flat out awesome but I do love the Motorola widgets. Needless to say, the DX wipes the floor with my rooted over-clocked Droid, in terms of overall performance. The DX Is FAST! This is where the processor and increased RAM comes into play. No lag to be found whatsoever! Everything is a smooth animation. There's also less heat. My Droid gets hot when I use it for long periods. Heat is reduced by more than half on the DX. Surprisingly, battery life is much better as well, as the Droid's battery life is great and I would've been satisfied with the same. But its much improved on the DX. Did I mention how fast it is?

Camera & Video

Out of all the reviews that I watched, I bet none of the reviewers actually went in the settings before they put out samples of this camera. I say that because its set at 6mp as default. You have to switch it to 8mp. I'll just put up some samples, when I get to my PC, and let em speak for themselves. In one word... Stunning!

Call Quality

Excellent noise cancellation system works as advertised. No matter how loud the background noise is, my voice comes through clearly.

Storage

Included is a 16gb sdcard and 8gb of internal storage. The most of any smartphone priced at $199.99.

Dislikes

The speaker isn't as loud as the Droid speaker, but then again, no smartphone beats the Droid in this department. That's it!

Conclusion

I find the Droid X to be the premier Android device. This is my 5th Android device in a little over a year, and can safely say, its my last for a long time. I can't imagine how much better it will get with Android 2.2 and the speed increase that comes with that version. Add in the extras like the HDMI media dock, HDMI cable, and its one of, if not the best smartphone experience right now. If you've been on the fence about getting the Droid X, then you're waiting for nothing. This is the one device to get.
    Last edited by rdills; 08-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Great review dude. Almost made me jump ship hehehe. I'm quite happy with my device. I'm glad you finally found what you were looming for. I know exactly what you mean about not going back to a small screen ever again.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Lmao! Thanks raton.

Oh yeah. here are those sample pics! I think they're pretty good for a phone. Forgot to mention, the photo and video editing features are good.

riffman no está en línea Stack Professional
    Great review my man, but I am very happy with my Galaxy S/Vibrant- how have you been?- Chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    " I do many things well- none of which generate income"
    - riffman

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice, my mom ordered an X, just waiting for it now. Was supposed to get it by this past Friday but they now said it may not be shipped until the 18th :cry: I really like the physical buttons for back, home, menu, and search. I too easily accidentally activate the touch keys for those actions on my Droid and forget trying to hand the phone to someone else to look at it, they always seem to bump that back softkey!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I'm doing well. Thanks Chris!
    The Galaxy S series is awesome. They have the best screen quality and GPU. I almost held out for the verizon version, but wanted to try the X first, and now i'm hooked.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Nice, my mom ordered an X, just waiting for it now. Was supposed to get it by this past Friday but they now said it may not be shipped until the 18th :cry: I really like the physical buttons for back, home, menu, and search. I too easily accidentally activate the touch keys for those actions on my Droid and forget trying to hand the phone to someone else to look at it, they always seem to bump that back softkey!
    OMG yes! Trying to let someone hold my Droid to see something was a nightmare! They always hit those soft buttons. I hit em alot when typing also. It feels great not to have those anymore. Verizon also changed my shipping date from this past Friday to the 18th which left me frustrated. So I found out walmart had the DX and called around to see if I could find one. After calling every store in a 30 mile radius, I found my DX! Canceled my order with verizon, & picked it up at walmart. No wait, no rebate, & no problems. It was great. I wish I did that sooner.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Surprise, no shipping confirmation sent, but the X arrived today!

I do love the buttons vs softkeys, but hate that they are in a different arrangement than the original Droid. Also the notification LED is much brighter on the X, a definite plus. It would be nice to use their "Messages" and have mail, facebook, etc in one inbox, but it automatically syncs all facebook contacts, that's not cool. It's one thing to wish an old high school buddy happy B-day on facebook, but that doesn't mean I want all of them in my contacts list....switched to the facebook app from the Market! The choice to choose to sync with all, existing contacts only, or none is a must!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thank you for this, I've been in limbo and now know which to get. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I've come from blackberry and iPhone so this is going to be new for me. I don't really care for the motoblur so what is the ADW launcher? Also is the any themes that look like the Droid incredibles where you slide down th make a call and such? Can't wait to get my Droid X
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Congrats on getting the awesome DX BoSoxFan82!

ADW launcher is basically a home screen replacement app in the market. It not only changes the look and removes the Blur, but adds a lot more functionality to your home screen. ADW also has over 50 themes available in the market. Another homescreen replacement app is called Launcher Pro Plus. Its equally great. Both can be highly customized and blows the stock Blur away.

A few more app recommendations,
    Widget Locker- Totally customized your lock screen.
    Web sharing- Wireless file transfer between your DX and pc.
    Where- The absolute best location based search utility.
    Cubed- An outstanding music player. The interface is amazing.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have once you get your DX.

Sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I never used the blur but hear that it's not the greatest. I like HTC's sense and the interface of their droids but was thinking the droid x was/ is better than the incredible so gotta go with that one. Thanks for the great info.

Donny
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

putney1477 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Sounds like an awesome review. I can't wait to get my DX I currently have a BB storm 2. Can anyone tell me if you can have designated alerts or sounds for text, email, IM, etc. I know that on my storm I can. Also can you change the font? I just want to make sure this is exactly what I want before I get rid of my storm 2.

Thanks

Heather

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yes you can designate notification sounds, but stock, it won't do it as well as your BB. There are apps in the market you can add that will give you the same level of detail with notifications sounds and the blinking LED colors. I'll post some suggestions for you shortly.

Coming from the storm, you will love the Droid X! You just have to deal with a slight learning curve because its so different. Just know there's probably an app solution for anything you think you might be missing. To change the font, you will have to root your DX, or use a theme from the market.
    Last edited by rdills; 11-15-2010 at 11:45 PM.

I agree, best phone I've ever had.....keyboard could use some work but that is minor. Just use the swype keyboard. This phone moves and RDills is always around to answer questions.....he's helped me quite a bit. Oming from a BB and iPhone. You wont fi.d a better phone
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~