Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Someone give me a reason NOT to ditch my 8700g and get a Sidekick III. ... Android Smartphones forum

donmitchell no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31892F51

T-Mobile Sidekick III 3

Advertisement

Someone give me a reason NOT to ditch my 8700g and get a Sidekick III. So far I like the 8700g better than the sidekick II, but the sidekick III plays MP3, has bluetooth, and it looks cool and stuff. I have a $50 rebate from T-Mobile on the way as well as a $150 from Amazon. I'm wondering if I get the sidekick and change plans from BB to Sidekick, will I become ineligible for those rebates?
    -Don

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: T-Mobile Sidekick III 3

Because then you wouldn't be able to send PIN messages, making you ineligable for pinstack!

Have you had a sidekick before? I have... and since I switched over to the BB, I have not had to call Tmobile for data issues.

ENY428 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

We'll You said it has a MP3 player. If that was one of your major needs you could do that. I wanted a more "MATURE" device. I also have an ipod for music and a videocamera for that need. The guy at the T-Mobile store put it best. Do you want a buisness phone or a GAMEBOY?

rcheing no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    40131C40

Quote Originally Posted by ENY428
    We'll You said it has a MP3 player. If that was one of your major needs you could do that. I wanted a more "MATURE" device. I also have an ipod for music and a videocamera for that need. The guy at the T-Mobile store put it best. Do you want a buisness phone or a GAMEBOY?
    Well in that case I want a "gameboy" because it can do far more things than what my bb currently does for the same amount of money. I am looking into getting this Friday a Cingular 8125 with the exchange push email solution, it runs on Windows Mobile 5, has mini usb out, mini sd card slot, wifi, bluetooth and a 1.3mp camera!! Much easier to use as it is a touchscreen. PS: I hate carrying multiple devices to do what ONE phone can do and very well.
    Last edited by rcheing; 07-06-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    Thank you,
    Richie

PIN/ID

With a sidekick. I highly doubt it. For starters you can't download any apps. And there is no upgrade. My cousin had a touchscreen phone. Dropped it once. The screen is EXTRA sensitive due to the touch feature. I also hate multiple devices. Was looking into the sidekick also but still would've needed to carry my NEXTEL. 7100i All in one.
    GOOD LUCK hope you don't "crossover" LOL.. Is windows stable on PDAs? Heard complaints about software updates.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Hmmm this topic was touched upon in another thread on this board. Basically I think you should make a list of MUST HAVES. If your list includes mp3...GO FOR IT.

My list of MUST HAVES included - must be secure, must be able to work with mulitple email accounts. Must have functional PIM.....etc etc. Following that criteria BB wins out.

Also 3 more things-

1. Kicks are basically AOL devices. I don't like AOL so that is not a good fit .... lol

2. very important - BB is coming out with a device with a mp3, camera with video features AND an expansion slot. So if you can be patient you can have the best of it all.

3. Kicks are corny, weak, wack, and played out already. I wouldn't want a device I see a 5th grader rockin...But that is just me.

This is just one of a few threads on the subject- BB with MP3 and More

PIN/ID

Thank you PEGUERO. Number 3 is the real reason. But i didn't wanna hurt anyones feelings. It looks cool. Im a buisness man. I need a real toy. Nintendo DS or PSP. It's that simple. LOL. But if you need a MP3 player as your main feature do for it. But my friends that have MP3 capable phones bug me for my ipod. LOL. AND BB's are SECURE!

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Thank you PEGUERO. Number 3 is the real reason. But i didn't wanna hurt anyones feelings. It looks cool. Im a buisness man. I need a real toy. Nintendo DS or PSP. It's that simple. LOL. But if you need a MP3 player as your main feature do for it. But my friends that have MP3 capable phones bug me for my ipod. LOL. AND BB's are SECURE!
    LMAO-

LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD...KICKS ARE FOR KIDS!!!!

The BB is my first smartphone device, I know ALOT of people with kicks who were telling me..."you need to get one!!" but the idea of someone breaking into my data was not cool, neither was the constant calls I saw my "kick enabled" buddies making to customer service whenever there was a data outage, software bug or other issue.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Just keep in mind, SKs data service goes down all the time. Like at least monthly. And all you can do is look at your neat toy that will do, well, nothing. You also can not download anything that Tmo doesn't put out on thier catalog, including ringtones, themes (there are none on the SK unless they change that on 3), and programs. No yahoo email delivered to my phone.
    SKs are also touchy with that flip screen, and I had charging problems with all the SKs I had.
    I dropped my SK once I learned about the BB. And I actually spen less a month on my Tmo bill with my BB than with my SK!
    I would never recommend an SK to anyone. It spent a lot of time as an expensive paperweight.

Also - a Tmo rebate and Amazon rebate generally can not be used together on a phone.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

rcheing no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    40131C40

With a sidekick. I highly doubt it. For starters you can't download any apps. And there is no upgrade. My cousin had a touchscreen phone. Dropped it once. The screen is EXTRA sensitive due to the touch feature. I also hate multiple devices. Was looking into the sidekick also but still would've needed to carry my NEXTEL. 7100i All in one.
    GOOD LUCK hope you don't "crossover" LOL.. Is windows stable on PDAs? Heard complaints about software updates.
    I think I agree with you and the rest of the members of this board in terms of the sidekick. It has never been appealing to me not because of it's features but because of it's service provider TMO. I have always been a Cingular customer and never had problems with them, my last phone was a SLVR, and itunes was an awesome feature. The real reason I got a bb 7100i is because in my business, I can use the bb to process credit cards remotely. My processor "USAEpay" recommended the phone as one of my options only because, according to them, Cingular does not support encryption right out of the box like Nextel does and so in Cingular I would have to pay a hosted BES solution where with Nextel I don't. Anyway, Nextel SUCKS in Florida and after only 2 months of having service with them will be leaving Nextel to go back to Cingular who I always had great service thru them. I was looking into the 8700c from Cingular but honestly, I miss my mp3, video, camera, sd card, etc... Things that the 8700 simply does not have. With the Cingular 8125 Pocket PC I can have the best of both worlds, exchange encryption thru a hosted exchange account and push email, besides the amount of software already out there for Windows Mobile 5.0 and the amount of features that make other phones IMHO much better than my boring 7100i.
    Thank you,
    Richie

PIN/ID

But will you have the convinience of the direct line when someone is just a push away.

donmitchell no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31892F51

Wow so many replies...well MP3 is not a MUST HAVE for me, because like most of you, I like more of the business appearance than the toy. I do like the memory expansion slot, but that's mainly for MP3s and I still have plenty of room left on my BB anyway. Hopefully BB will incorporate one sometime in the near future and possible MP3 playback. Mine plays MP3 currently, but only short clips (as far as I know -- and can't hold many full songs anyway due to file size).

I did used to have a sidekick II, that's what I upgraded from to my new 8700g. I miss the camera and the hope BB puts camera soon as well.

As far as AOL IM goes, I'm ALWAYS ALWAYS on it and the sidekick does it very well. But like some of you said, sidekick's data constantly went out and was really annoying. For now, I guess I'll deal with Blackberry's AOL IM, which often disconnects without my knowledge. It's not really a huge deal though, because IMz get forwarded as SMS when I'm offline anyway. Plus, sidekick can't do PIN chat or googletalk, which I also often use.

As far as email goes, which I'm also always using, Blackberry is superior. I also like the ability to install free software or even write my own.

I started out with a 7100i, but I basically had it all. But, I ended up with 8700g on TMO because of the unlimited text. Voice/call clarity was sacraficed a bit, but I text more than I talk anyway. I went ahead and got a cheap boost mobile phone instead and with that I got the walkie talkie, GPS, and a camera -- everything blackberry doesn't have.

I will be a very happy camper once I find a BB I like that has GPS, a camera, plays MP3, has expandable memory and where I can get unlimited SMS, IM, Web,...and all that good stuff. We're almost there...thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna keep the BB for a while, I'll miss it if I get rid of it :-)
    -Don

Summer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D1E3E9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~kicks are cool. I even wanted one ubtil I got my hands on the kick III. Like someone said once youkve gone Blackberry you can't go Backberry. The BB works like it should everytime like clockwork. If you want a device to do what it says it's going to do all the time, everytime then go BB. It blows the competition away. Kicks are for kids, Treos are for the brave of heart because it's always a gamble if the device will work everytime you turn it on. BB's are a sure thing.

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I checked one out at the t-mobile store. They look like they'd break easy. JMO

racinrocker no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i like my berry just fine. Don't play on upgrading for awhile

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast