Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Everyone says the storm is sluggish. Yet have you played with one with the new ... Android Smartphones forum

staindone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F059B5

Advertisement

Everyone says the storm is sluggish. Yet have you played with one with the new os? If you haven't, don't compare it to the g1. It is much faster and will be the top device once Verizon releases an os worth a crap.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by staindone View Post
    Everyone says the storm is sluggish. Yet have you played with one with the new os? If you haven't, don't compare it to the g1. It is much faster and will be the top device once Verizon releases an os worth a crap.
    That is precisely Archer's point: Vzn released the much-anticipated first-ever BB touchscreen Storm with a crummy OS. Which is like releasing the new BMW supercar with a crummy engine. You can wait and hope all you want, but you're still stuck with a buggy phone that acts up on you. Not my idea of fun.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

arashb no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well my device history in the since December of last year. iPhone 3G, Nokia E71, HTC G1, BB Bold.

Every phone had their plus and minuses.
    iPhone, incredible 3rd part support, incomparable touch-screen, simply beautiful build and design.
    Nokia E71, built with steel and felt nice holding it, nice 3rd party support
    HTC G1, now I'm a mac fanboy but wow Android OS is just by far the best OS I've ever seen. Completely open to anything you would want to do, Nes and GBA emulators in the Android Market. Emailing is comparable to BB.
    BB Bold, nice screen, the first OS I've used that is flawless with AIM/MSN, the keypad doesn't push in when I push a key (E71 problem)

The Bold is my first ever BlackBerry and definately has the least amount of problems I've ever had on a phone. But it's also the least customizeable. It reminds me of my old old Sony Ericsson w810i, best phone I've ever had for some reason. But when a proper Android phone comes out with 3G bands for AT&T I think I'm going to have to go back.

Because even after the squeeky hinge opening, the ugly T-Mobile sign on the top and the no 3G on AT&T, I was happy with it. The only reason I got traded it was because, E71 for the G1 + $100, $25 unlock code, G1 + $40 for the BB Bold. So in the end I made $35 when I was willing to do E71 + $50 for the Bold.

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3
    I made the mistake of thinking I found a better device with the G1. And it is a great device, but I "dropped it like it's hot" after one short day and quickly unlocked my Bold to get it up and running until I could get back to the AT&T store to switch back.

I realized the same thing about that device that I realized about the iPhone and every other device that I've tried since getting my first blackberry - they are all "cool" phones to show off. They are really neat concept phones. I had people flipping over the barcode scanner app for the G1, and likewise with the Google voice search app for the iPhone. But what it comes down is this; I never actually use any of that crap. I read somewhere recently that something (and don't quote me on the numbers) like 95% of all apps from the app store and android market are never used more than once or twice.

I just realized for the first time, that I am addicted to the blackberry. It has slowly grown on me and I've started to take things for granted, things that I now can't live without. The moment of realization came when I received an email on my computer and my phone didn't beep. I waited, waited, waited, and then waited some more. About 5 minutes later it finally "dinged". Simply put, no other device out there boasts the always on "push" service, via email, weather notifications, facebooks updates, etc., that the blackberry provides. And that my friends is what I'm addicted to, I could care less about making my phone fart.

Devices like the G1 and the iPhone are magnificant devices and will serve some people very well. But for me, I simply cannot imagine not being able to use my bluetooth stereo headphones (can't use on G1 or iPhone) at the gym. I can't imagine not being able to transfer a file from my phone to my laptop, or desktop, or friends phone (can't use on G1 or iPhone). I can't imagine having facebook "check for updates" every 15 or 30 minutes. I want to know right freakin now when someone comments on my status!

Had to post my experience for anyone considering switching to G1. You'll be disappointed if you're a blackberry user thinking of using the G1 as your primary device. While Archer and I have had disagreements in the past, this is one that I strongly agree with him on. The G1 is great, but sorely lacking as a primary device.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I switched from a bb bold to the g1 and I'm really liking it so far. It's very different from a blackberry but so far I have no regrets. The keys take some getting use to but I've used a sidekick and the keyboards are comparible. The touchscreen is very responsive and I've had no lagging issues. There are several free apps available which makes it even better. The push gmail works great. The only major gripe I have is that yahoo, aim, and msn disconnects too much. Gtalk stays connected which isn't a surprise. Overall I'm satisfied.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, this thread sealed the deal for me. I've been unhappy with my Pearl lately (small. Slow. No qwerty. Etc) and have been considering a change. I looked over the tmobile G1 site last night, and although there are some great features, the whole site seems to brag it up WAY too much (you only need to spin the phone a couple times, seriously...not throughout the entire video). The BlackBerry home screen seems mediocre at best compared to the G1. I've been looking at this same Pearl background since late 2007. Its getting tiring. I have been having some trackball issues and have a new BB in the mail on its way to me. I want an 8900...I guess I'll keep waiting.

After reading these G1 reviews...its obvious I need to stick with RIM.

Last edited by green_light; 05-24-2009 at 12:42 PM.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Well, most of the reviews you are reading in this thread are very misleading. First of all, how can you take any "review" serious if the person say's "I returned it after 1 short day"???That only tells me they dont know anything about the G1 except how to turn it on, & never gave it a chance because it didn't feel like the BB they've used for years. Heres some good advice, use the 2 Week free trial and try it for yourself. Then you might scratch the surface on how great Android is. You say youre tired of the background on the Preal, as well you should be! My background changes automatically however often I want it to change...So does my ringtones. Themes and home screens are totally customizable down to the font! Widgets for ESPN, news feeds, music playlists, twitter, and more! Imeem! Shazam! thats just a few because I dont have time to go on about THE 60 PLUS apps im using right now!!! Big update just dropped improved the performance on battery & MANY other issues! My point is try it for yourself! This thread, like many, is inaccurate!
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just picked up a g1 and am loving it compared to my 8320 with the exception of no UMA calling feature. Beyond this detail, the G1 is on point with the kick butt OS that takes the mobile OS to another level and has numerous free apps and growing.

My first impression is wow!

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well I've owned several blackberries over the course of the past 2-3 years and I can't complain. I have a bold with at&t and love it. I recently got a tmobile g1 and although its a fun device, I don't see it ever replacing my blackberry as my primary device.

The screen is really crisp on the g1 and the touch screen is pretty good. I used an iphone for a year and the g1 really holds its own.

The battery life is disgusting. I've been playing around with settings to try to increase it but nothing noticeable. I turned off auto data sync, wifi, my location, etc to no avail. I even turned off 3g and it still is horrible. And considering this isn't my primary device and I don't email on here or make calls, there's no reason it should be at 40% at 3pm.

The keyboard lighting is horrible. I have the white one and in a dim room you can't see the keys. You can't see the red alt keys in any condition except really bright lighting. And the bulk on the side really gives a cramp on my wrist if I type too much.

App store is cool. A ton of free apps to dl. But I can't save to sd card so obviously you're limited to your device memory.

The browser is awesome. Best browser I've used and I've used all except skyfire bc I hate windows

The camera resolution is better than my bold. The bold has horrible color reproduction. But the g1 has a delayed camera so its annoying to use.

Overall I wasn't expecting much from the g1 but I blame htc for the hardware on this thing. The software is pretty good except for the fact that I can't message a number unless its the "mobile" number in the address book.

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Wow I was in a tmo store earlier lookin at the G1 and the 8900. The sales rep asked "what are you looking for in your phone?" I replied "something to compare to my 8320" he laughed and reached in his pocket then replied "you can't go wrong with one of these" he was holding the 8900. We talked about the devices but here's what it came down to; "the G1 is a cool phone, but if you want something that's gonna work for you with minimal flaw, then get the 8900" so that settles it for me. Next month. I'm going to buy a Shiny new BB Curve. (Unless somethin new comes out that I can't resist) ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Quote Originally Posted by disturkis4u View Post
    Well I've owned several blackberries over the course of the past 2-3 years and I can't complain. I have a bold with at&t and love it. I recently got a tmobile g1 and although its a fun device, I don't see it ever replacing my blackberry as my primary device.

The screen is really crisp on the g1 and the touch screen is pretty good. I used an iphone for a year and the g1 really holds its own.

The battery life is disgusting. I've been playing around with settings to try to increase it but nothing noticeable. I turned off auto data sync, wifi, my location, etc to no avail. I even turned off 3g and it still is horrible. And considering this isn't my primary device and I don't email on here or make calls, there's no reason it should be at 40% at 3pm.

The keyboard lighting is horrible. I have the white one and in a dim room you can't see the keys. You can't see the red alt keys in any condition except really bright lighting. And the bulk on the side really gives a cramp on my wrist if I type too much.

App store is cool. A ton of free apps to dl. But I can't save to sd card so obviously you're limited to your device memory.

The browser is awesome. Best browser I've used and I've used all except skyfire bc I hate windows

The camera resolution is better than my bold. The bold has horrible color reproduction. But the g1 has a delayed camera so its annoying to use.

Overall I wasn't expecting much from the g1 but I blame htc for the hardware on this thing. The software is pretty good except for the fact that I can't message a number unless its the "mobile" number in the address book.
    A couple of things you mentioned can be corrected with apps and upgrades. Just like many phones, the G1 out of the box will need some tweaking to optimize your experience. A user with little patience and/or technical saavy could become dissatisfied with the G1. I have noticed the G1 app store is very similar to the Apple store in that there seems to be an app for just about anything you desire-- except 90% of them are FREE!

If you want to be a serious user, you can mod the G1 to allow for running your apps from the sd card--you will need to root your G1. There is also an app to switch off the back light of the keys so that they are easily viewed in the daytime when a backlight is not needed. There are many power management/battery apps to help control wasteful usage of your G1's resources.

I'm really digging the Android OS at this point as its fresh and a very crisp OS that has many possibilities. There are numerous free apps rolling out daily.

Coming from a Blackberry background, I would recommend taking a few weeks to really explore what the G1 offers and to start modding/tweaking it. At a bare minimum, it would be a great 2nd phone/toy to break the monotony!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage_Man View Post
    A couple of things you mentioned can be corrected with apps and upgrades. Just like many phones, the G1 out of the box will need some tweaking to optimize your experience. A user with little patience and/or technical saavy could become dissatisfied with the G1. I have noticed the G1 app store is very similar to the Apple store in that there seems to be an app for just about anything you desire-- except 90% of them are FREE!

If you want to be a serious user, you can mod the G1 to allow for running your apps from the sd card--you will need to root your G1. There is also an app to switch off the back light of the keys so that they are easily viewed in the daytime when a backlight is not needed. There are many power management/battery apps to help control wasteful usage of your G1's resources.

I'm really digging the Android OS at this point as its fresh and a very crisp OS that has many possibilities. There are numerous free apps rolling out daily.

Coming from a Blackberry background, I would recommend taking a few weeks to really explore what the G1 offers and to start modding/tweaking it. At a bare minimum, it would be a great 2nd phone/toy to break the monotony!!
    Yeah the app store is great. I've been downloading and testing out a lot. I had dark keys app on but I had to remove it once I upgraded to android 1.5. I've been looking for a free screen shot app if anyone knows one. I love the widgets though. It is def more of a toy for me in that I'm just using it for a change from blackberries. But I've been working at cell companies for 3yrs now so I've played with everything by now lol. Android is def a great os esp for a first gen. I think once more hardware comes out with it a lot of people will start switching. Because let's be honest the g1 isn't for most people.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by walkiniceberg View Post
    Wow I was in a tmo store earlier lookin at the G1 and the 8900. The sales rep asked "what are you looking for in your phone?" I replied "something to compare to my 8320" he laughed and reached in his pocket then replied "you can't go wrong with one of these" he was holding the 8900. We talked about the devices but here's what it came down to; "the G1 is a cool phone, but if you want something that's gonna work for you with minimal flaw, then get the 8900" so that settles it for me. Next month. I'm going to buy a Shiny new BB Curve. (Unless somethin new comes out that I can't resist) ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I guess when the sales rep said works with minimal flaws he forgot to mention the MAJOR flaws! The curve constantly drops calls in & out of wifi, plus endless battery pulls because of memory leaks! Dont think you're leaving those problems behind by going from the 8320 to the 8900! But hey....at least you're used to it. My G1 has worked with less flaws than any bb I owned! But thats a sales rep for ya.

They want to charge me 450.00 for the 8900. Thats comical! Especially when I got the G1 for 199.00.lol I did try the two week trial though.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Quote Originally Posted by disturkis4u View Post
    Yeah the app store is great. I've been downloading and testing out a lot. I had dark keys app on but I had to remove it once I upgraded to android 1.5. I've been looking for a free screen shot app if anyone knows one. I love the widgets though. It is def more of a toy for me in that I'm just using it for a change from blackberries. But I've been working at cell companies for 3yrs now so I've played with everything by now lol. Android is def a great os esp for a first gen. I think once more hardware comes out with it a lot of people will start switching. Because let's be honest the g1 isn't for most people.
    Found out how to get that screenshot app that you want. You need to root your phone (jailbreak it). Look at this tutorial for the how to:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOo2V9qCauc&feature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage_Man View Post
    Found out how to get that screenshot app that you want. You need to root your phone (jailbreak it). Look at this tutorial for the how to:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOo2V9qCauc&feature=related
    Thank u

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast