Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

For those of you considering switching from your Berrys to the new G1...Think again - ... Android Smartphones forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

Switching from Bbery to the G1?

Advertisement

For those of you considering switching from your Berrys to the new G1...Think again - LONG and HARD! I owned 2 G1s, and here's my lowdown:

The G1:

1) It's VERY awkward to hold, to type, that sliding, pop-open keybord thing...It's a mess. The obnoxiously large "base" thingy at the bottom, where the buttons are, make typing on the pop up KB hard at best.

2) I had the black one and when pushed in certain areas, the screen squeeked like crazy - It's a known problem, at least with the black ones, and it bugged the hell out of me - It will you too.

3) The Android OS will NOT sync directly with Outlook on its own - I needed to create a Gmail account and jump through several hoops before I got it working - But first, I needed to import, export, transfer, reorganize...etc., etc., etc...everything into Gmail's apps - Pain in the ***.

4) I will admit, the app store is cool and boasts several free and useful apps - Nice.

5) It is relatively cheap - $179 out the door isn't bad for a brand new phone on T-Mobile, considering they are, generally, higher priced than other carriers on devices.

6) It comes with a screen protector INSTALLED - Which is very, very appreciated, at least by me - I can never ever get those things on right and the slightest hint of dust will void all best efforts.

7) I can't say it enough - The build quality is horrific and you will notice it out of the box. After 2 weeks, my screen mechanism got considerably looser and I could envision in falling off within 6 months - Maybe not, but I wasn't gonna chance it.

I've read a lot of opinions surrounding the Storm, Bold,,,In the end, RIM still makes a solid device with build qualities that continue to impress even my obsessive self. In a word, don't switch - You WILL regret it.

wrxboi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    R.I.P
    wow thanks for the update of your experience with the G1
    WRXBOI
    wrxboi69@googlewave.com

so how do you think the screen of the Storm compare to the G1?

phiv5e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217F515F
    ure jumpin ship... awwww damn...

No way am I jumpin ship...no way. The screen on the G1 is nice, yes, but I have found the Storm's screen the BEST I have EVER seen. Period. Check out the sample video (Babylon AD Trailer) loaded on the storm - It's every bit as good uality as my iPod and is honestly like watching an HD movie - only smaller. Everything I have read about the Storm? Negatives and all - I would't trade it for anything.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    I thought TMO was known to be cheap about their phones and plans...

Hmm...interesting review, but I have played with a few G1's and found them to be quite the opposite of your post...maybe you just got a bad batch?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I'm really enjoying my G1.

I find the people that are unhappy are those that don't take the time to research the phone and find out what it's all about. This is a brand new concept, it's more than just the fact it runs on a linux kernel and is open source. It's more than just the Android OS, it's more than the form factor of the handset. It's all those things combined, and the fact that it's entire focus is to be centered on Google services. This is a phone that is _not_ designed to be compared to any other phone out there. It's for an entirely different target market, and users that embrace change. Open minded people that understand this is the very first phone to run this new OS. And the first phone that relies heavily on internet connectivity.

Any time that one purchases cutting edge technology is subject to the various problems that crop up as the device is rolled out to the public. Issues that no amount of "lab testing" will reveal. Also this being an "open source" project, even if somewhat locked down at this moment by Google, is one that is still in it's infancy.

Anyone who buys this phone, as their only phone is making a huge mistake. Yes it will function as your only phone, however it's so different that many people simply do not have the patience and positive attitude that it takes to embrace this kind of change. At the end of the day, this first effort is fantastic, and the new upcoming G2 will be a quantum leap. I've seen it, I've had an opportunity to try it out and I'm waiting for it to come to market.

Cheers...

sk1d no está en línea Stack level 2
    It would be an insult to technology to consider a switch from any BlackBerry to a G1

What a waste

My point is the highest and best use of a G1 is as an alternate phone to experience. One to just play with and enjoy for what it is. Not a BlackBerry replacement. They are two very different phones.

This is the very reason I have three providers I use. AT&T, T-Mobile, and VZW. I enjoy having different phones to compliment my BlackBerry which is my primary phone.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    7) I can't say it enough - The build quality is horrific and you will notice it out of the box. After 2 weeks, my screen mechanism got considerably looser and I could envision in falling off within 6 months - Maybe not, but I wasn't gonna chance it.
    Great review! with all the new phones coming out sometimes the "no frills, hard look at the facts" type reviews are great.

Regarding your #7 comment on build quality- you could say that was to be expected. It is a 1st generation device and the goal wasn't really to test out the hardware, it was more to test out the OS and its open source platform.

My personal # 1 rule for gadget shopping is never, under any circumstances buy 1st generation of anything. I realize that could be hard cause lets be real, new gadgets are amazing to play with. But there is a big difference between being an early adopter and paying a company to beta test their device.
    5RAWMINUTES!

"Things that you want to change in the world have to start inside yourself. You have to be thinking. You have to be resisting. You have to be talking."
    – George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by peguero View Post
    My personal # 1 rule for gadget shopping is never, under any circumstances buy 1st generation of anything. I realize that could be hard cause lets be real, new gadgets are amazing to play with. But there is a big difference between being an early adopter and paying a company to beta test their device.
    Well Said!

This is the best advice that most people fail to overlook. Ver 1.0 is always a risk. The size of which is directly related to the complexity of the device. Thus the "safe choice" is always to wait for the first revision. The benefits of this practice are simply too numerous to list. That said, some of the most important are the fact that with a second generation device you will get a lot longer life out of it. You will experience very little if no down time. The value is there, because the people with the first gen devices have already taken the hit on the price devaluation that occurs the moment gen 2 is released. Thus for those with the patience to wait, the reward is handsome indeed. It's where the smart money is.

Cheers...

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Well Said!

This is the best advice that most people fail to overlook. Ver 1.0 is always a risk. The size of which is directly related to the complexity of the device. Thus the "safe choice" is always to wait for the first revision. The benefits of this practice are simply too numerous to list. That said, some of the most important are the fact that with a second generation device you will get a lot longer life out of it. You will experience very little if no down time. The value is there, because the people with the first gen devices have already taken the hit on the price devaluation that occurs the moment gen 2 is released. Thus for those with the patience to wait, the reward is handsome indeed. It's where the smart money is.

Cheers...
    I had this exact discussion with a group of my friends which are all crackberry heads. We were discussing Bold and Storm. Bold being more of an evolutionary device, built upon other model designs and OS specs and Storm being more of a 1st generation device, being a new hardware design, new OS specs etc.

Would you agree?
    5RAWMINUTES!

"Things that you want to change in the world have to start inside yourself. You have to be thinking. You have to be resisting. You have to be talking."
    – George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by peguero View Post
    I had this exact discussion with a group of my friends which are all crackberry heads. We were discussing Bold and Storm. Bold being more of an evolutionary device, built upon other model designs and OS specs and Storm being more of a 1st generation device, being a new hardware design, new OS specs etc.

Would you agree?
    Yes, you are right on the money!

jayeburd no está en línea Stack level 1
    i am actually doing the opposite. im going to buy an unlocked bold and sell my g1. i like the phone because it is neat and diffrent and i like saying i have the "google" phone, lol but i really want the bold. the g1 is acting crazy i guess its just my service with tmobile where i stay but i can have full bars and the message will not send at all. and it does sqeak!!! it is annoying. and i also think one of my springs are loose because everytime i slide the phone up i hear like a small bell noise.. lol... i am looking forward to coming back to bb lol

Google "screen creak on G1" you'll see what I mean. There are owners actually cutting off bits of plastic or whatever with exacto knives to stop this annoying and poor build issue - that's just crazy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast