First let me start by saying I only started with Android less than 24-hours ago, ... Android Smartphones forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Successfully rooting Verizon Incredible 2 (2.3.4)?

Advertisement

First let me start by saying I only started with Android less than 24-hours ago, so my Android speak isn't very good LOL! That having been said, here's the problem...

I got my Incredible 2 in the mail yesterday and shortly thereafter began the process of trying to root it with a LOT of help from someone far more knowledgeable about Droids than myself. Being a newbie, all I really understood was that everything from Revolutionary to pushing files via command prompt failed, and my PC won't recognize the device as anything but a CD drive. So after spending HOURS with him trying to help walk me through trying to root it and not even being able to attain S-Off, it was finally discovered that this is apparently an issue most (if not everyone) experiences with this device from Verizon with this specific OS, build and/or hboot. So it was more or less determined that my device is too up-to-date to root using any of the methods readily available.

My device is running 2.3.4; build 6.01.605.05 (hboot 0.98.0000)

So I am wondering if anyone else has successfully rooted a Verizon Incredible 2 with this build/OS?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that might help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Someone will respond, Dee! Hang tight.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Someone will respond, Dee! Hang tight.
    I really hope so. I was so excited to get the device in the mail, then it just turned into a complete nightmare
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wonder why our Cell South/C-Spire folks never post in any other threads other than their own. There are some 'Droid 'experts' in there who'd probably be of service.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for Jay or Del to chime in.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm up but crappy. Give me a bit.

Sorry, haven't been feeling well the past few days.

ok. so I'm sure you know by now you have to downgrade to get root. Wanna?

Should be fun.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1298990

Little more user friendly version (files are all on xda in above link)
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-...pare-root.html

Sometimes (rarely) the usb cable and port come into play. If you have a hub, plug the cable directly into the PC.

"Prepare your computer
    It’s really important to quit, turn off, or disable all phone, mp3, or pda syncing software including iTunes and HTC sync, antivirus software, and any extra processes that you don’t need so that Windows doesn’t interfere with installation."

<Never been an issue of mine, but have seen this highlighted several places, so be sure to follow it>

I'll be around if you need help. Oh, be sure to use either the cable that came with the device or a good quality one. Sometimes it matters. Had my S2 flake out and not do crap until I changed cables and plugged into a different USB port. It never liked hubs at all.

OH, once downgraded go Revolutionary (like i'm sure you have many times already) and it should work.
    Don't take an update if one appears from Verizon.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Congratulations on your new phone Dee, glad that Jay has jumped in here to help you out Always a problem that nothing is as simple or as straightforward as one would hope, hate the way carriers sometimes tie down the OS, which I suppose doesn't bother a lot the average person that buys the phone. Also surprising that no-one else has posted this problem. Since I am a blackberry user I can't provide any help, but good luck, I am sure the the guys here will get it sorted it out.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

BTW, guys and gals, Adobe customer support and tech support sucks royal butt.

Just got told the discs I bought had and activation available and my serial was valid, but because the original owner still had the disc (just photoshop) on her (outsourced tech let it slip) account I can't activate. Despite having the correct serial, the disc and case, the correct activation code.

Fuming.....

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    BTW, guys and gals, Adobe customer support and tech support sucks royal butt.

Just got told the discs I bought had and activation available and my serial was valid, but because the original owner still had the disc (just photoshop) on her (outsourced tech let it slip) account I can't activate. Despite having the correct serial, the disc and case, the correct activation code.

Fuming.....
    I don't think fuming is the word for it, but the actual word probably cannot be published!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

it's ok, once I get somethings square on the laptop, I'll find a way to make it work.
    Have GIMP as backup

Java????
    Anything? Kinda figuring the lack of an update means something went wrong.

Sorry I didn't update this last night, but by the time all was said and done I was just completely exhausted.

So in case anyone else runs into this issue, which most with this particular device from Verizon will, we had to use the information posted at the link Jay supplied in post #6 but we had to first achieve S-Off which wasn't working until the information at the links below was discovered...

First here... http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14785-inc...60#entry691054

And to accomplish that you need TacoRoot, from here...http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13713-tac...it-12-30-2011/

Once we used the TacoRoot exploit we were finally able to downgrade the OS & Hboot, then headed over to Revolutionary which FINALLY recognized my device and we were able to get S-Off. But the whole process is long and tedious at best. After that everything was pretty smooth sailing. Having finally got S-Off we pushed SkyRaider Zeus using adb and sdcard for good measure.

On a quick side note, I wouldn't recommend attempting this if you're unfamiliar with what you're actually doing during this process and/or if you're unfamiliar with command prompt, which the vast majority of what was done was via command prompt. I got lucky because I had someone who was already familiar with all of this helping, but still is was a 12+ hour process all together.

So it is up and running, but like most who have had to use this method, my device does get stuck in a bootloop if I power if off and back on again (typically stops after about the 4th reboot). For now I'm not too worried about it since I highly doubt I will be turning my device off for any reason, but I'm sure there will eventually be a fix for that too.

Hopefully that all makes sense but feel free to correct me if I got any of this confused. It was difficult to keep everything straight when I've had to learn about all of this in less than two days LOL!

In the meantime, I got to play with my new device a good portion of yesterday evening and I absolutely LOVE it!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in this, especially a couple of you who have gone above and beyond (you know who you are ). It has all been greatly appreciated and I hope I can return the favor some day!

Thanks again, and now I am off to go play with my new toy LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Sorry you had troubles. At least it worked and was a learning experience.

Yay that you're up and running. Now fun begins.