Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jfcooley

Wow, longest title I've ever created... One of the advantages of owning an Android is ... Android Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Who Stole My Widget? How to use em and other tips for new owners

Advertisement

Wow, longest title I've ever created...

One of the advantages of owning an Android is that you can customize it to your liking. Your device may look a lot like the guy next doors on the outside, but once you turn it on you can show it's truely your own with custom launchers, icons, and Widgets.

What's a widget? Basically it is an app that allows you to add a graphical representation of information or a function to your desktop.

Want to see the current weather? Have a huge clock? Toggle a setting without digging through menus? Simply have the word "Mine" on your screen?
    There's a widget for that!

Now some Widgets are stand alone, and some are included in apps you install.
    For example, some clock Widgets are stand alone. You down load it from the market and there is no icon for them in your app drawer. It's a common question asked by those that are new...."Where's my widget?"

It's there, but android handles these a little different than regular apps. They show up by long pressing the area on the homescreen you'd like to add it to. Select "Widgets", and presto! There they are!

You may notice some have numbers beside them such as 1x1, 4x1,3x2, etc. Those represent the amount of space the widget will occupy on the screen once you add them. Off the top of my head, I believe most stock launchers (we will get to launchers later) are 4x4. Think of it as a grid and it has 4 columns across and 4 rows down. Some Widgets are a set size.

If you scan the market you'll see there is just about a widget for everything. They all are applied to the homescreen in the same way. Ice Cream Sandwich (version of Android) has added a section of Widgets to the end of the apparently drawer , so you can just scroll through them and see what you are getting before adding. Not too many folks have ICS at the moment so we will just let that be.

There you have it, widget basic. These little posts are meant to be quick and simple tips, so if you are left with a question just post it below. If you're new and afraid of asking a dumb question...don't be. We were all new at one time and odds are you aren't the only one with that question.
    RogerG and dushdavj like this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Edit

Sorry about the typos. Right now ics and forums ate'nt getting along the best on my device. Editing and fixing are extremely frustrating. I just lack the patience to do it. Sorry....