Any reviews on this phone? Is it any good? Thanks... Android Smartphones forum

bangus236 no está en línea Stack level 3

sony ericsson P990

Advertisement

Any reviews on this phone? Is it any good?
    Thanks

Marc_SE no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: sony ericsson P990

What did you want to know about? The handset itself or the (not yet available) BB client for it?

I've had one for 2 weeks so far, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

bb connect is still unavailable for this phone?
    anyway, how do you find the phone?
    ease of use, message handling, internet, signal strength, picture quality, sound quality, ease of synch'ing, connectivity, etc., etc.
    thanks!

PIN/ID

Personally, I find it easy to use (I've owned all the Previous P-series handsets and the new M600i). The menus are intuitive to use, I wouldn't imagine a non-UIQ user to take too long to get used to it.
    Messaging is very simple touse. The QWERTY keyboard should be easy enough to use, esp for someone who has used a BB handset previously i.e. 87xx series.
    The inbuilt browser is Opear 8 AFAIK, the small screen rendering is definitely a big help for a handheld. There are some pages that it won't render correctly though i.e. ebay listings (the current bid/postage isn't displayed correctly). It is very fast when connected via 3G and WLAN too.
    Signal strength can vary, on the whole I find it very good though.
    The P990i takes decent pictures (I'm spoiled as I've previously used a W900i 2mp cameraphone and now a K800i. For a 'business' orientated handset, it is more than a capable camera.
    The sound is fine, although I do find it's not as loud as some other SE handsets, namely my K800i.
    Backing up with the PC is extremely easy once the PC Suite and drivers are installed. I've backed up and restored using it with no problems. I haven't yet synched though. I've only used the USB data cable connection, haven't tried over BT yet. iSync for the Mac doesn't support it yet, so haven't had a chance to check it out for ease of use.
    Connectivity is excellent. Everything you'd expect BT, IR, etc but the inclusion of WLAN is a godsend when I'm at home!
    The screen is excellent, displays pictures to the best of their ability.
    I find the phone is more pleasing on the eye without the keyboard attached. Some people will prefer to keep it on, mine came straight off when I got it though! lol

thanks marc for the very informative review.

PIN/ID

No worries, it wasn't meant to be a review, but just a few answers your questions.

Feel free to ask anymore questions and I'll try my best to answer them.

Incidentally, there was a firmware update released by SE for simfree handsets. I've just updated so hopefully it'll run abit more smoothly now.

Still no sign of a BB client though! :cry:

PIN/ID

UPDATE: New BlackBerry Connect client v3.37 was released recently. Got it working on my P990i with BIS, very nice! No BB Messenger, but good nontheless.

Is anyone around who could possibly make an app to support BB Messenger?
    Handsets: 8310 (T-Mob), iPhone (Voda), Nokia N95 8GB & SE C902 (T-Mob)
    Based: London, UK

u_nordbe no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: sony ericsson P990

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_SE
    UPDATE: New BlackBerry Connect client v3.37 was released recently. Got it working on my P990i with BIS, very nice! No BB Messenger, but good nontheless.

No BB support but a question, What were there to setup in order to get Blackberry working? Tricky? Hard to find info on the matter. We have a server in Canada but we don't want to by terminal overseas as the only provider in Sweden is Vodafone and we may not want to use them as carrier. This has led me to consider using a P990 with a good gprs package for our users and then have some hw guarntee/service

Hyper no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24FDAA1C

i got the BB client (3.31) installed onto my M600i & got it started & did the whol setup thing..its works perfectly fine here in Mumbai, India on AIRTEL network.

The only thing i dont like at all is that once i got it setup, all my 7 email accounts came onto the phone as 7 seperate POP3 emails setups.

Is there anyway that i can have all my 7 pop3 new emails to arrive in one folder like on any blackberry phone?

This is very irritating having to check all the boxes to see where my new mail has come into...

If this cannot be solved, i'm going back to my blackberry phone..

I think this is a flaw of BIS 2.0 or has blackberry intentionally done this, so people buy their handsets.

this happens on all non-blackberry phones....

Any Solutions...

Venkat411 no está en línea Stack level 1

i just got myself a P990i, & i need the blackberry connect client for it. am in india on airtel network. will appreciate help on this.

fadocom no está en línea Stack level 1

Where can I download/get the BB Client (3.31) for my P990? Thanks.

dlvaldez no está en línea Stack level 1

the latest incarnation of Symbian OS R9 does not support BB Connect v3.37. So beware in case you upgrade, it will be next to imposible to get the BB Connect working again. - dlvaldez

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_SE