Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeing how this is the first handset that I've owned that hasent been messed with. ... Android Smartphones forum

PIN/ID
    Apple

So who's rooted and who's not

Advertisement

Seeing how this is the first handset that I've owned that hasent been messed with. Yes its still bone stock. I getting the urge more and more to "play". I see the benifits and potential down falls of rooting but I would like to hear from our members on what made you root and do you regret it or what has made you stay with the stock android system that you have. I have choosen to remain stock as of now because this is my business phone. I can't afford something that may work. Its one of the main reasons that I went away from BB. I grew tired of having to keep track of OS releases. I still have my trusty iPhone as a backup so I'm starting to get the urge to play around with the nexus a little and look at some Roms and such. So if You care, post your thoughts and experiences whether good or bad.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    had the g1, now have the droid. both remained unrooted for a combined grand total of 2 days. even when i was still droid shopping, i already had the files on my mac to root it. i don't see any downsides and therefore, no regrets.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It took me a while to make the jump, but now I'm glad I did. I am rootedand have changed ROMS several times. I have had minor issues with certain apps or features not working quite right but nothing major. As long as you have a nandroid backup it's easy to go back if you're not happy. I have never had a major issue or had anything go wrong in the rooting or ROM installing process.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm Rooted and absolutely love it compared to the stock, I have changed Roms a few times just to experience and never had any problems. Now the one that I have I'm very happy with running double the ghz of my stock and no over heating or issues. I've Been fortunate I guess.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

joemc27 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    No More
    I rooted my MyTouch about after a month of using it. It was way better (Cyanogen Rom). Now I have the Nexus One and I've been hearing complaints about battery life, no apps2sd, and CM updater hasn't been made for it, yet. I've been tempted to root it, but I'm going to wait a little longer.

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    There's really two reasons I haven't rooted my Hero. First, I don't know how to do it. Second, if I do learn to do it and I screw something up, I'm not really in the position where I can just go out and get another one. Plus, if my carrier knows I did something to it to make It brick, I won't get the insurance claim on it.

So I have the stock Hero waiting on my carrier to release the "wonderful" 2.1 os.
    because we are amorphous, we hold that in reverence~ Tite Kubo

cyberpyr8 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I want to root my myTouch Fender edition but have yet to find a really good and clear set of instructions on rooting it. My co-worker has the older myTouch and has rooted his and I really want to run other roms like he is able to. I always ran beta versions of the BB OS so rooting is something I will definitely do as soon as I know I can do it without bricking the phone!

SunnyD no está en línea Stack level 2
    okay so i totally just rooted my mt3g for the very first time. im running the new cyanogen to my phone. so far i love it and i love the features that it has. it really is not that hard to root your phone. i think people should do it. the lag that my phone used to have is no longer there and my phone runs much smoother. SUCCESS! gotta love it. i remember doing all this with my bb but it took wayyyyyy longer hahaha!

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    I'm rooted, of course, and it unlocks the true power of your Android device. There is no downside. I've sent at least 2 rooted phones back and never had any issues with tmo checking to see if I rooted. If you can read and follow instructions, then rooting is easy, and these phones are hard to brick. Good thing about it is that you start out making a back up of your whole system before you start so its really no risk involved.

Last I heard, that M.T. Fender was tricky to root, so I would wait if that's the case, but Droid, Nexus, and the older models are so perfected that flashing ROMs and themes are a breeze. No PC needed. As a result, my Droid is twice as fast and powerful. And no more waiting for updates ever again. I've been using 2.1 over a month now.

@BHP77, you have the man himself, Cyanogen, putting out great work for your Nexus. So get to rooting! If you like your phone now then prepare to be blown away.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Any chance someone who has rooted b4 could right up a good tudor for all of us who may like to but have not yet done so?
    Maybe we could get it promoted to a Sticky. I'm sure when I get an Android device this will be one of the things I want to do.

thx in advance

Rooting instructions vary by device, different recovery images etc and links would be different for each, but if anyone feels comfortable with writing their own tutorial for their specific device...go for it, PM me and I will sticky it. For those who want the easy way, there are even apps for the Moto Droid like DroidMod updater that will root your phone for you and make installing new ROMs very easy(not sure if they have similar options for other android devices). I chose to do it manually and am slowly learning the commands and becoming comfortable with the wiping and ROM changing processes.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    I'm rooted, of course, and it unlocks the true power of your Android device. There is no downside. I've sent at least 2 rooted phones back and never had any issues with tmo checking to see if I rooted. If you can read and follow instructions, then rooting is easy, and these phones are hard to brick. Good thing about it is that you start out making a back up of your whole system before you start so its really no risk involved.

Last I heard, that M.T. Fender was tricky to root, so I would wait if that's the case, but Droid, Nexus, and the older models are so perfected that flashing ROMs and themes are a breeze. No PC needed. As a result, my Droid is twice as fast and powerful. And no more waiting for updates ever again. I've been using 2.1 over a month now.

@BHP77, you have the man himself, Cyanogen, putting out great work for your Nexus. So get to rooting! If you like your phone now then prepare to be blown away.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
    Ok. Rooted and running sense from the desire. Like it so far.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC Bravo Build/ERE36B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Any chance someone who has rooted b4 could right up a good tudor for all of us who may like to but have not yet done so?
    Maybe we could get it promoted to a Sticky. I'm sure when I get an Android device this will be one of the things I want to do.

thx in advance
    This is the best place to start to Learn about Rooting anDroid "Root Your Droid" almost all sites related to Rooting recommends this one, and from what I've seen the Author don't mind linking to his guides, but doesn't like anyone "Stickying" on their Sites.
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 03-01-2010 at 01:58 AM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^Thanks 4 the link. Bookmarked

I used that site to learn to root mine, just remember it is for the Moto Droid, not for all android phones.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast