Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meh. Don't get me wrong, its an improvement but overall I call its minor (thus ... Android Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

So I've moved to 4.2 and my first impression is...

Advertisement

Meh.

Don't get me wrong, its an improvement but overall I call its minor (thus the .1 version) upgrade.

The lockscreen Widgets may end up being something big. For those that haven't heard, you can now swipe left/right and see a widget of choice like on home screens. Currently there are 4 stock with a few developers adding the option to their apps. Nice and maybe useful in future, but I get email notifications in my stays bar, as I do messages. I think the calendar widget is a bit ugly so a no go for me as well.

The status bar now has quick toggles...sorta. by pressing a button in the top right corner you get your g+ pic, toggles for brightness, settings, wifi, battery, airplane, and Bluetooth. Not all of these are true toggles. Most are just shortcuts to their respective settings within settings. Custom ROMs have been doing this for years and much better. Customs allow you to pick and choose and actually toggle the item you choose. Even now I am using a toggle app from the Market instead.

Other improvements are the new camera and keyboard, which have been available to rooted jellybean users for about a week now.

Daydream is OK. Think screensaver. Pictures/colors or clock appear as they would on a computer if you leave the device unattended or place in a dock.

Cosmetically there's a new clock and such, nothing that hasn't been seen before.

As I said, its an improvement. Perhaps mire impressive if you haven't used a custom or modified your stock setup. A step forward to be sure, and a foundation for more impressive stuff. Just don't think its a jump anyone should be stressing to get a hold of.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 11-16-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: my keyboards auto correct blows

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Isn't Jelly Bean supposed to have Google Now, or whatever the Siri-like app is?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yes Roger. Go and download Google Search at Google Play. That´s Google Now. Ahem...you´ve waited this long?
    then activate and set it up the way you want. Now, the Google Search widget has a microphone pic. Press that and it initializes and then you can ask whatever you want. After a while, and if you press on the widget, you´ll have the Google Now opening up with the information you´ve set up.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    And Jay, as you say it´s cosmetic. But it´s ok and useful.
    Your comparison is based on your rooted Galaxy Nexus, but from stock the differences will be more perceptive.
    Having said all that, I can´t wait for the all the gizmos coming to the SIII.
    And for Emma Grace to show up...

Can't wait for tweaks. So slow compared to my custom.

philMo no está en línea Stack level 2
    how is the new keyboard? is it better than swiftkey?

The keyboard is good but after trying the beta of swftkey I'd have to say swift is better.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Swiftkey is more intelligent, you can say. It adds a few features that make the difference.

Finally got a stable tweaked custom. 4.2 is still just OK. Still not a fan of the sd card structure change for multiple users, but twrp has made it easier to deal with. Devs are catching up with it.

I've shut down lock screen Widgets, that are annoyingly easy to get to when simply trying to unlock. If you have 4.1 stay with it. Not as easy going back.

hmm i thought lockscreen widgets would be convinient. i think i have to try them for myself. it seems like the devs are having some trouble with 4.2.

I can find any Widgets I think are useful on the lock screen. Emails show in notification, my music app will show controls in notification, weather is a simple swipe, which I'd be if I put it on lockscreen any way.

Basically if you aren't careful where you start the swipe you end up changing lockscreens. Its annoying so I disabled all Widgets.

i find the lockscreen widget, especially the calender, pretty usefull... but it pretty hard to swipe to them. maybe its due to my custom rom (s2) or something else... the only complain i have about them is the size of the music controls. it got so tiny and ugly

quain88 no está en línea Stack level 1
    wow! it excites me on how far android success will be, ill be glad if they can make it to have responsive UI, ill be glad to purchase one than the expensive iphone and windows phone

DanielJones no está en línea Stack level 2
    JB is still not available for my phone but as per the conversation I can say that 4.2 is just like 4.1 with small improvements or Google has added few widgets within the OS. Have I got it right?

Pretty much.
    Rumor 4.3 (or some bump in version) will be released mid month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast