Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, it's been almost two years since I've joined this forum. I joined as a ... Android Smartphones forum

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro

So, I'm switching to the Dark Side...

Advertisement

So, it's been almost two years since I've joined this forum. I joined as a die-hard and loyal BlackBerry user. Although I wasn't using it on an entirely professional level with BES, my BlackBerry has served as the pinnacle of my professional operations.

It has allowed me to place orders for business and personal use, given me great communications through other BlackBerry users, rock solid stability on every model I've owned (with the exception of Storm 1), great battery life, and excellent service reception (one of my most frequent examples of my loyalty to BlackBerry is that I have always received service in my work's walk in freezer).

However, since the release of the HTC Incredible, I've left my feelings in the gallows. My loyalty to BlackBerry has been compromised. I now know I'll be forced to answer questions from friends and colleagues on why I've decided to abandon a platform I have rigorously defended and championed against all the shortcomings of the iPhone.

I can no longer tout my BlackBerry's superiority. After falling in love with the Incredible in the Verizon store (unfortunately there were none on hand to purchase), I found out that a co-worker had just gotten their Incredible in the mail from eBay. We rushed to work to see if we could make and receive calls, and send e-mails in the walk-in freezer....

Without hesitation.

I'll either be owning an Incredible as soon as Verizon has caught up to purchase demand, or I will suck it up until this HTC Scorpion becomes a reality (and much more likely with a different name).

Sorry RIM. Your unwillingness to embrace the Open Source community, iPhone-like app exchange (by ways of heavy regulation of what is considered an acceptable app), neglect to address your terribly operating line of Storms, and enforcement to use a proprietary data server (BIS/BES), hindering your customer's choice of how data is processed.... has ultimately lost a once loyal customer.

I feel in the long run, Android's open source platform will ultimately lead to more professional oriented third party applications, better security, and better long term consumer satisfaction. You'd have been able to keep me on board a bit longer if you had just implemented a 1ghz processor into your Bold 9650...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    You are leaving the dark side and coming into the light haha

I have no regrets about my jump to Android, hoping RIM makes something down the line to tempt me, but no RIM device leaked to date has piqued my interest.....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was tempted by the Incredible too. But returned it because the screen could not be seen outdoors, the battery life sucked (don't get me started), reception was inferior and the email apps were just not up to BB standards. Now I'm waiting for the Motorola Shadow to see if some or all of these concerns are resolved. Of course, there's always BB OS 6.0, if it ever gets released.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    It's only a matter of time before a good chunk of people switch to other devices. I think my calling is going to be the new iPhone

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well I tried as Well, and thank goodness I didn't get rid of the 9700...I came back within 2 days and I have seen the light, again !
    Whewww, that Was a close Call !

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I need to decide between the EVO and the 9650 ;0( I have had a bad experience with touch screen phones for the last year or so, I am just assuming the evos gigantic screen would be good for my gigantic hands. HOWEVER blackberry has never let me down in the past and has always offered me a solid/reliable unit.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    If you have BES and are a cooperate person that needs nothing more than from their phone but calls and email then BB is the best option. If you want more than that not one Blackberry on the market can touch a iPhone or Android 2.1+ device. BB was the best device available to all until the iPhone came along. How many years has that been. 2 days isn't enough time to for anyone to truly get a feel for any OS that they aren't use to. You have a 30 day period with all US carriers so use it up then make your decision. After a good 2 weeks with Apple or Android you won't miss your BB, you'll wonder why it took you so long to get rid of it.

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    I too have switched from the BB. I had an unfortunate event with the Atlantic Ocean and my Curve is no more. I looked at the Incredible but the lack of a physical keyboard scared me away and I went with the MotoDroid. I have had it in my hands for a little more than 12 hours and love it so far, with the exception of having a difficult time transferring my contacts from Outlook. RIM had my loyalty untill I took a long look at the fact that they are just not keeping up with the market. Their updates leave a bit to be desired and as a recreational user I could not see buying another device that I saw as being inferior. I am going to miss BBM but there are other chat apps out there that don't limit me to 160 character txt. I am SOOOOO looking forward to this DROID.
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Welcome to the Droid world You will get over BBM, trust me Verizon switched my contacts from my BB to my Droid, I'm not an outlook user so I can't help you there...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...Outlook! A bummer for Droid. That's why I don't use Droid.Havibng 100 John's and 100 Mary's (just first names) drove me nuts...
    Good luck anyway.

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ...Outlook! A bummer for Droid. That's why I don't use Droid.Havibng 100 John's and 100 Mary's (just first names) drove me nuts...
    Good luck anyway.
    Do you mean that Android will not sort contacts by last name?

postmandav no está en línea Stack level 1
    I just went from an Iphone 3g to a Blackberry Torch. I had blackberrys in the past and hated how I had to do battery pulls so often. The same thing happened with the torch, so I went in ATT and asked what other phones there are that might fit my needs. I am now a 1st time owner of an android phone. I like it a lot. Still have a lot to learn.
    BTW I have the Samsung captivate.
    Last edited by postmandav; 08-25-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: forgot to list the phone I bought

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^ that phone is tempting me to jump ship as well but I still have my doubts. I love portability and being able to have everything I love in one device does make my life a lot easier. Good luck with your phone I know someone with the phone and I know you'll love it specially after previously being in the darkside (blackberry) for so long. Enjoy!!
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was told a long time ago when I was a Microsoft programmer that I was going to the "Dark Side" when I started programming in Java... then I learned Microsoft was the "Dark Side"... I've had a couple Blackberry's for the last couple years, now I'm looking at Android's (Vibrant and the new G2, and a few others, but staying on TMO)... some say I'll be going to the "Dark Side"... it's all subjective!!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I tried the switch to the dark side for 5 months and came running back to my 8120 this month (had to swap it out due to a bad USB port but that's another story). Windows Mobile was fun, but multitasking and the simplicity of the BB OS were much better for my needs. Pulling out the stylus, tapping the screen to bring down a drop down list, and holding the icon for what I wanted was much more difficult. I never did learn to take notes while putting the thing on speaker mode. Reception and battery life started to go down the toilet. There were features and software I did like, but until the reception issues are worked out, I will remain loyal to my BB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast