Why? I"ve been wondering this and now I'm asking to see if anybody else has ... Android Smartphones forum

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3

Simple market apps need access to...everything?

Advertisement

Why? I"ve been wondering this and now I'm asking to see if anybody else has an idea. "Wallpapers" is a free app in the market. It needs access to: Your location, Network communication, Your personal information, Phone Calls, and System Tools (to prevent phone from sleeping). The last one I can understand as this is a wallpaper application. But "Your personal information"? "Phone calls"?? What the hell? Anybody know more about this than I do?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Location, totally unnecessary, the dev most likely tracking to see where there app is being most used. Network communication to view and download the wallpapers, personal info is sketchy, but maybe because you have the option to assign wallpapers to contacts, many apps need to know Phone Call State, I believe this is so the app recognizes an incoming call when you are using it and pauses to allow the call to come through.

I think the permissions sound scarier than what they mean, but they should not be dismissed either. If you google the names of the permissions you can often find links to things like google's developer site that explain why apps need certain permissions. Go with your gut, if something seems wrong, don't download it.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3
    Good info, this stuff makes sense. "Your personal information" seems like it should be called something else.

Thanks for the clarification.