Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stackers I need some advice. I use GoLauncher Ex as my launcher. When I for ... Android Smartphones forum

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME

Question Samsung Galaxy S 4g slowing down

Advertisement

Stackers I need some advice. I use GoLauncher Ex as my launcher. When I for example use the browser and other application and return back to my home screen my icons will slowly come back on the screen for every screen. It can take up to 30 seconds. This will also happen for the default launcher. I think part of the problem is that this phone only came with 1gb on board memory and i am starting to run low on storage memory and only a few apps can be moved to sd card and one can't move the whole app. I really like this phone, but the slowing down of processing is annoying.

Three questions1) How can I speed my phone up? (2) Does rooting make ones phone run better? (3) Can this phone be updated with Gingerbread or newer, or am I stuck with Froyo?

Thanks in advance.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Sounds like you have a crap load of apps hogging memory. Go takes a bit of memory. Go to the market and get ADW launcher for 10 cents, is far better as far as memory management.

Go to system/about phone/battery and see what's running. As well you can check what's running in settings/applications.

There are a couple of ways to manage what's going on. Rooting and dropping an AOSP rom will lower the OS footprint and give you some breathing room. Not that familiar with the SG, but if its using an sd card then jump to a 16gb and move some over. Aps to sd is an app that will move nearly anything to the card.

Start with adw , look for a task manager first. Can go from there.

Assuming this is the model you have, start here for rooting. Think its the I9000. There's an I9001 development board as well.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

xda hasn't been newb friendly as much lately. If you have a question as here or search thoroughly before posting there.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    yea, sounds as you're using most of your available RAM. without changing anything, close some running apps. That should speed things back up.

I 2nd ADW. Get the right task manager. some are bloated crap that do more harm than good. Jay can tell you which one as I haven't been in the market for a while.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    xda hasn't been newb friendly as much lately. If you have a question as here or search thoroughly before posting there.
    I think when you've answered the same questions a thousand times, it's starts to get old. Especially on a board as big as XDA. For one question theres at least 4 threads.

ats why i suggested he ask here. If I can I'll search for him and there's probably a Lurker or two that will benifit as well.

Visionthing,
    https://market.android.com/details?i...ncedtaskkiller
    Use that while on froyo. Its a common myth that you need one on GB but its not really necessary. GB does a good job handling memory on its own. Running a task killer works against it. If needed I'll dig out a Google dev write up.

Remember that every widget added tovthe homescreen eats up member as well. Cut out unnecessary Widgets. If you check your email when notified then you don't need an email widget. If you have a crap load of icons consider folders instead.

Review your apps. If you have several apps that do the same thing, get rid of some. Do you need more than one reader? Calendar app? Can you store any music on the cloud? Can you get a dropbox account and store some pics/files there?

Many ways to slim down without giving up much. Let us know if you need anything.

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Visionthing,Can you get a dropbox account and store some pics/files there?
    Does pics on your sd card slow down ones phone? If so there is many of them that I can get rid of.

Widgets? They are one of the reasons that I use Android, they are cool. The sad thing is they built this phone with low storage memory. With that said storage memory is one thing, but I should look at what use a lot Ram?

I think my favorite apps are the problem, etc. widget locker, clockQ, colorize widget and desktop visualizer?

What about the adobe flash player 11. Does one really that?

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Also what is good and easy to manage the Ram usage. I got App2sd card paid version installed. Any good? Its got a widget with which I can clear the cache. Will this boost the ram. Or use the default task manager that came with the phone?

Well there's your problem....those apps
    I've found widget locker to hog, desktop Visualizer is a widget, thus a lot of them at one time are hogging cycles when you come back to the homescreen.

What I'm talking about with freeing up space on the sd card is so you can move apps over to it.

Pretty much the answer is to dump go, and trim down the Widgets. As well grab startup manager and see if anything that's running as soon as you boot can be eliminated. They'll run once you start them, but not until.

Quote Originally Posted by visionthing View Post
    Also what is good and easy to manage the Ram usage. I got App2sd card paid version installed. Any good? Its got a widget with which I can clear the cache. Will this boost the ram. Or use the default task manager that came with the phone?
    See above
    You will see a noticible difference in performance (average use, don't go bencmarking) if you kill some start up stuff.

BTW, there's an Ice Cream Sandwich beta on xda for your device. Imagine there's other AOSP Rome as well..

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Will there be a difference between factory reset and then reinstalling the needed VS uninstalling the not needed?

Factory reset will wipe all your data and apps. Would be as it was when you pulled it out of the box. SD card (assuming its not a built in card) will be left alone. In other words if you have a physical sd card everything on it will be OK. The data stored on the phones internal memory will be wiped out and you'll just have the OS and apps that came preinstalled.

Now if you're talking about wipes done while installing a ROM, that's a bit different. We'll worry about that if you root.

NyWuil is killing me. Going to bed before in fall asleep on couch. I'll check in morning if you needcanything else.

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Have a good night. Thanks for all the help. I did factory reset. Hey its like getting a new phone. Start from scratch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast