Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By Delfim

Hi guys, I recently just migrated to France and and it is illegal to donwload ... Android Smartphones forum

cllj no está en línea Stack level 1

samsung galaxy advance complete action with video or internet?

Advertisement

Hi guys,

I recently just migrated to France and and it is illegal to donwload here. i would love to know when i watch a video from the internet, my samsung galaxy advance will ask me to either complete the action using video or internet. It will start to donwload when i select internet but i was wondering, is it the same case when i complete the action using video? Will it be downloading the video without me knowing it is happening?

Thanks for the help.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Yes. Essentially its asking if you want to download and watch it afterwards or download and view it as it streams.

Both are downloading the data to your device.
    RogerG likes this.

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Yes. Essentially its asking if you want to download and watch it afterwards or download and view it as it streams.

Both are downloading the data to your device.
    thanks for the reply, so basically it is also illegal for me in france to watch a video by completing action even with video?

I'm not familiar with French law. I can't comment on the letter of the law, but if its illegal to download then yes, either way you're using data.

Seems like a dumbass law though. French that hard up for bandwidth? Seems like something's wrong, anytime you use data you are downloading something, be it kB or gb. Seems like it wouldn't make sense to own a smartphone unless WiFi is widespread. I doubt that in rural areas.

i just arrived in france and heard that it is illegal to download but i am not clear about the law too, they dont provide much information on the internet too.

i know youtube is not illegal, but when we stream videos on youtube, it is also considered as downloading the data?

Streaming = data.
    If I were you I'd look into that "law".

ok, thanks a lot.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Sounds like you may have heard a bit of skewed information. I doubt it's illegal to download in France. Could be that what you heard was that it was illegal to pirate media or software...which is illegal most places.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I'm of the same thought process as Cats......I believe you've misinterpreted the "law." I've been reading around the 'net and it seems in France that a few years ago they started cracking down on "illegal" downloads, which Cats referenced above......piracy. It should be fine to download something that wouldn't be deemed as "pirating" of music, or movies, or what-have-you.

Here's one article I found from 2010: http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/fran...rs-next-month/

thanks

ya, i think i have misinterpreted the law, because it will be so absurd if downloading is totally forbidden, thanks a lot guys. However, illegal streaming does exist does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by cllj View Post
    ya, i think i have misinterpreted the law, because it will be so absurd if downloading is totally forbidden, thanks a lot guys. However, illegal streaming does exist does it not?
    Any time there is anything that costs money, someone will want or find a way to do it without having to pay.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Sorry I'm coming in late. I'll try and put it simply.
    In any EU country it is illegal to download any content, if:
    1) You use for public use,
    2) To sell, or in any way profit from it.

It´s ok if you do so for your own private use.

There are campaigns against piracy going on sporadically. And if you are caught with obviously pirated content on your PC, smartphone or whatever you own, then yes you'll face the sanctions imposed.

Now, let´s complicate matters, shall we?

No cop or policeman, republican guard, CID, is going to confiscate or demand to see what you own. If they do, you have the right to deny access. The only thing they may ask for is proof of ownership.
    Unless you're involved in some illegal activity, and you have been identified (first) then they'll have to show you an intent to investigate and cease whatever is found in your property. Usually this is a order from the local magistrate.

So, if you're not into crime, download and upload away.
    The French particularly, are more concerned with what Apple, Google, Yahoo and the like do. In other words anything Yank, is (typically and historically) frowned on. French!
    RogerG likes this.