Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey All- I am pretty "techie", but everytime I go over to androidandme and am ... Android Smartphones forum

riffman no está en línea Stack Professional

Rooting G1

Advertisement

Hey All- I am pretty "techie", but everytime I go over to androidandme and am ready to follow their "one-click root access", I read another post with somebody saying "my g1 never gets past the "G1" screen, or "My g1 is hung at re-boot and never finishes", ya da, ya da. Not too much in the "confidence boosting" area, if you will. Is one of you willing to right a step by step ( how you did it) FOOL PROOF process of how to root my G1 and install Cyanogen's latest stable build? I have already loaded up the flashrecovery file and newest build onto my SD card, but that's it.- Chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    " I do many things well- none of which generate income"
    - riffman

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    How bout a write up and video?

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/22/how...-in-one-click/

Just follow the instructions and you're good. From what I've read, its very hard to brick the phone. IMO this is fool proof.

Make sure you go to "how to load a custom ROM" link at the end to load Cyanogen's ROM.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've heard of many people using the 1 click root app and loading the new CM rom in all of 10 minutes. I followed some instructions on youtube and did it the hard way. Either way, if you get stuck on the reboot screen, you can reflash the tmobile rom(factory). You would hit the left/right call buttons along with the menu button to reboot. Immediately hold down the home button until the flash recovery comes up and then you could flash back to factory from your sd card.

The G1 is almost impossible to brick unless you mess around with the hard spl. That requires 0 room for missing a detail when installing it.

You will love the endless abilities of the android os. Check out forums.xda-developers.com for answers to anything you need.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRC1) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Thanks- one question- do i need to re-name his latest build to "update.zip"? Also, I guess the phone is able to deal with a .zip file when the time comes- this is never mentioned.....
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    - riffman

Last two questions ( I promise LOL) do I have to dl an audio file ( I saw it on cyanogen's page) and 2) will all the apps (paid or not) have to be dl'd and work?- thanks for the tips, signed NERVOUS
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    - riffman

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Just Rename it update. The phone will recognize it as a .zip file. Make sure the update file is in the root/main menu of your sd card. Dont put it in any folders. The newest Cyan flash recovery lets you flash any zip without renaming it. But this method tells you to use the Rav recovrey. Just a matter of choice! I use the Cyan recovery.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by riffman View Post
    Last two questions ( I promise LOL) do I have to dl an audio file ( I saw it on cyanogen's page) and 2) will all the apps (paid or not) have to be dl'd and work?- thanks for the tips, signed NERVOUS
    No prob! We're here to help each other learn new things about these phones.

The audio files are probably stock ringtones and notifications. You don't have to DL if you don't want them. All apps are working fine for me.

Read, and you will be fine. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by rdills; 09-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    And welcome to the small Android family here at pinstack lol
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-gb; HTC Hero Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Sure- Just about to get started- I will let you guys know- really different from building BB themes, but I love the android alot more- Chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    - riffman

Ok Guys- just got done rooting my phone and flashing cyanogens latest stable rom- how do I install the themes over at the developer site? I had open home installed before rooting it........
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    - riffman

never mind- just found the answer (duh!) over at the developers site- chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    - riffman

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Also get loccy's browser at xda site under dream Android development
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-gb; HTC Hero Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Will do- and just wanted to thank you guys and tell you with Cyan's latest build and a full blown theme, it is like a whole new Android- kicks a**- I see why people root them- Chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    - riffman

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Glad to here you got it. Themes are much better than the home replacements. Have you done apps2sd yet?

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sweet Riffman....so does this mean you will be moving to Android theme building?

My wife still has the beefed up 8320 hand me down from me and i check it out occasionally, but seriously, the Android OS is kicking butt right now. I can multi-task like a mutha on the G1 and browse in multiple windows or game or stream tv or record my jogging times/trails on a map or check Exchange email or push Gmail or go touchscreen to a full slide keyboard when i need it or scan barcodes for price searching items and the list goes on.... there is unlimited potential right now for the Android.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC59) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast