Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG

What is "rooting" a Galaxy S3, and why would I want to do it (or ... Android Smartphones forum

Rooting

Advertisement

What is "rooting" a Galaxy S3, and why would I want to do it (or avoid it)?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Rooting gives you root access. Much like jailbreaking an iOS device. With root access you can overclock your device which speeds it up. Also, you have a great control and access for customization with themes, tweaks, etc. And you can select custom ROMs, which are custom builds of the Android OS. These ROMs have eliminated all the boatware and stuff that slow down your device as well as adding some extremely cool tweaks. I have about ten ROMs saved to my SD card and switch regularly. Personally, I would not have an unrooted Android.
    Last edited by chokem; 02-09-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    What he said.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Hm.

So basically it means giving yourself administrative access. Sounds like something I'll probably do (eventually . . .) Thanks for the info. Since Android is a Linux distro, doing this would be meaningful.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Mark, that's exactly what it is.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's nice to see BB and iOS guys talking Droid...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I believe XDA has a toolkit that makes it easier to root, etc. Not as easy as a jailbreak, but it helps for those of us not so confident in our rooting abilities.
    chokem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I believe XDA has a toolkit that makes it easier to root, etc. Not as easy as a jailbreak, but it helps for those of us not so confident in our rooting abilities.
    I read through it - Also there's detailed explanations and instructions at Phandroid (which seem to be "borrowed" from xda). It looks very easy, except it's a little long-winded. Right now I'm so new at Android (my S3 is my first experience with Android) that rooting is unnecessary, but like I said I may do it down the road as I get used to what this phone can do.