Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, so i just switched from the 8330 to the Motodroid. Of course, I come ... Android Smartphones forum

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Rooting?

Advertisement

OK, so i just switched from the 8330 to the Motodroid. Of course, I come to my trusted PINSTACK and see people talking about rooting. I am trying to figure out what this really is? I searched to forums and all I can find are people talking about how to do it and the pro's and con's. I guess I just want to know what it is.
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have a rooted moto droid, so hit me up if you have questions. Rooting is kind of like jailbreaking is to the iphone, it allows you to change more things than you had permission to access before rooting. Some apps, like screen shot apps, only work on rooted phones. Since you are brand new to Android, I recommend you wait at least a couple/few weeks before you root. Get to know your new baby, do lots of reading. There are awesome pros to rooting, but trying new/experimental ROMs can sometimes break some functions, or change how they work. So get to know your phone, know how it's supposed to work, decide what you would like to change, read, read, read some more, then root if you want to.

There are tons of apps in the market called home replacement that change the way your home screens work, give you options to add/remove screens, have hidden dock bars with your own favorite apps and many other features. A couple of the good/reliable ones right now are Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher.

Have fun learning Android, play with a crapload of new apps(way more than your BB could ever handle ) and let us know if there is anything you are looking for or need help with
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    To be rooted means to have unrestricted access to nearly all aspects of the Android system. Why we love it? It allows you to load custom ROMs and much more. I'll explain.

Custom ROMs:
    A stock ROM is the version of the phone’s operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it.

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc – everything you need to operate the device, except it’s customized by someone in some way.
    So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.

Why you want custom ROMs

Using a custom ROM usually results in more frequent updates that fix bugs and introduce new features because the developer behind the ROM doesn’t have the same procedures and red tape that the manufacturer+carrier combo does.
    A quality update can be churned faster because it doesn’t involve the bureaucracy of 30 different project managers, 15 vice presidents, and 5 dozen marketing departments.

Better Performance And Efficiency

Custom ROMs are oftentimes faster, more efficient, and use less memory because
    the developer ripped out useless garbage, such as carrier installed apps or
    the developer optimized the kernel. For example, an undervolted kernel can provide a much better battery life than the stock one.

Ability To Install Apps To The SD Card

Most custom ROMs nowadays come with the ability to install applications to the SD card, called Apps2SD (or A2SD).

ROM Manager and other apps that take advantage of root access.

Its a paid app, but well worth it. Its one of the biggest innovations for the Droid community and Android period. It brings ease and sophistication to changing ROMs and themes. It also has many other features. But you must root 1st.

Edit: Azstar you beat me to it!
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Great responses! I was wondering if someone would explain overclocking?

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Overclocking is taking the CPU and running it at a higher specification than rated by the manufacturer. Devices can be overclocked when certain kernels are installed on the device. In the case of the Moto Droid, Motorola underclocked it to 550mhz, but it has the potential to go much faster. Actually its stable Up to 1.25 GHZ. The easiest way to do this is with an app called SetCPU. With this app you can set different profiles to your liking. For example, you can set it to automatically overclock to 1ghz when using your phone, and have it drop down to 250mhz in stand by. This results in outstanding battery life and increased performance.

Heres a benchmark to show the major difference between a Stock Droid 2.1, and one thats rooted, overclocked, and running a custom 2.2 ROM.

Stock Droid is down at the bottom, but the rooted Droid is at the top, and is the fastest Android device on the market!
    Last edited by rdills; 07-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    When you have root access you have access to the lower levels of the system. All the way down to the kernel. Once you have this access you have the ability to do all the things listed above and more. Jailbreaking is and isn't like rooting a android device since you still don't have access to to root of the device. Just unlocking more of the potential of apples OS. Overclocking is just the same as it always has been. Taking the set clock speed of the CPU and "over clocking" it to a higher speed. It should be noted that this isn't always advised and one should read and educate ones self on this. The droid is very capable of handling clock speeds well into the 1 GHz range. Custom kernels really bring out the performance of the android system. This is one reason that we see people like cyanogen making roms. They start at the kernel. You shouldn't just install a different ROM like a bb as they are all different while still trying to achieve basically the same thing. Congrats on the move to android, you have a awesome device. Enjoy andblet us know if you have further questions.

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    I appreciate the answers. So far so good. Still trying to figure out some of the idiosyncrasies of the device. Will require more looking around. As always, the stackers come through!!!!
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    What is the best way to root my droid x running the upgraded os 2.3 and what is the best rom to use? Is there step by step directions?
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Z4root is the best method to root your DX. Here's the link with instructions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

After you're rooted, to flash custom ROMs, you'll need to flash a custom recovery image 1st. For the X you need what's called the Bootstrap Recovery. It comes in the form of an app which will flash it for you. Here's the app:

http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motoro...XBootstrap.apk

Open the bootstrap app and click bootstrap recovery. It will ask your permission to use root. Select "always allow". It will tell you "success" if all goes well. I've never seen it fail.

Best ROM is a matter of opinion. I can tell whats best for me. I don't care for Motoblur except for a few elements like the media dock screen and the Facebook integration. I also hate the preloaded apps that Verizon forces on us. So I use a ROM that give me this and the rest is vanilla Android. Its called the Apex ROM. I highly recommend it unless you just love Blur. Its faster, smoother, and has better battery life than stock. Also many issues that came with Froyo seem to be gone with this ROM. Here's the link to all the info on this ROM with instuctions to install:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all...ml#post1982670

Since you're new to flashing ROMs, let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Just pay attention to detail and you'll be fine. After your 1st time it becomes a breeze.

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thanks again....I will be in touch
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    No problem at all. Anytime man!

Abdul Mateen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    5C46CA32
    Wow i have a EVO and was wondering what Rooting was. Thanks

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Mateen View Post
    Wow i have a EVO and was wondering what Rooting was. Thanks
    Yeah, it's cool to do. I believe unrevoked will work for the EVO 4G. Be sure to read all of the disclaimers and instructions. It can be found at unrevoked.com.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    OK, Rooting was a snap...I am just having a tuff time getting a ROM to install. Any tips?

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    OK, Rooting was a snap...I am just having a tuff time getting a ROM to install. Any tips?

For the DX, you need the Bootstrap recovery to flash ROMs. Do you have that? If not, here ya go: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=135KQZHX

Download it to your sdcard and install with astro or whatever file manager you use. Let me know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast