I just purchased a new N1 (c'mon Google, ship it NOW!). I currently have a ... Android Smartphones forum

artcarney no está en línea Stack level 3

Reinstall Apps on New Nexus One?

Advertisement

I just purchased a new N1 (c'mon Google, ship it NOW!).

I currently have a mt3g with a lot of apps on it. After I switch my data plan from mt3g-Android to just Android (it's a T-Mo thing), and I setup my new N1 by logging onto my Gmail account, will the apps just load themselves or should I go to the Market and hit the downloads section and do it myself manually?

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Anything purchased will show up in downloads but anything free you will have to search and re-download

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Congrats on the new device! I have not changed device types so I have not experienced that, but if I factory wipe and reactivate my phone all my paid and free apps automatically get redownloaded. If you are rooted now and plan to root your N1 right away then maybe do an app backup with Titanium and then copy the backup to your new device once rooted.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Not rooted and don't intend to be in the immediate future. Well, I might root the mt3g for fun after the N1 arrives.

I have backed up all my current apps with Astro, they live in backups/apps on my SD card. I may transfer them tonight to my Mac, then transfer them to the N1 when it arrives (tomorrow? It shipped, they claim tomorrow!).

This would seem to be the easiest way unless someone sees a potential flaw in my plan.

The one big negative with that it that the Market does not recognize that you have the apps if they are installed from an Astro backup so you won't be alerted to updates. You would need to take the time eventually to go back to the market and redownload them all.

But when you activate your new phone, see if it starts syncing your apps on it's own, wait about 10-15 minutes after activation to see if any of your old apps appear in your app drawer. While waiting, don't go into the Market....for me, entering the market before all my old apps are restored after a wipe seems to interrupt the download process. If some of your free apps are restored, wait until you get the notification that your apps are restored before going to the market. If after you wait none of your old apps are restored, go to the market and check your downloads page, if none of your old apps are listed there, then Astro to the rescue. That's what I would do anyway
    Twitter? My Apps List

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    The one big negative with that it that the Market does not recognize that you have the apps if they are installed from an Astro backup so you won't be alerted to updates. You would need to take the time eventually to go back to the market and redownload them all.

But when you activate your new phone, see if it starts syncing your apps on it's own, wait about 10-15 minutes after activation to see if any of your old apps appear in your app drawer. While waiting, don't go into the Market....for me, entering the market before all my old apps are restored after a wipe seems to interrupt the download process. If some of your free apps are restored, wait until you get the notification that your apps are restored before going to the market. If after you wait none of your old apps are restored, go to the market and check your downloads page, if none of your old apps are listed there, then Astro to the rescue. That's what I would do anyway
    Sounds like a plan azstar. Thanks!

(C'mon Fed-Ex, drive FASTER!!!)

I got my N1 this AM.

After setting it up I waited but no apps came in from the Market. I ended up checking out to see what was on my mt3g and reloading via the market what I really wanted and used.

I was able to search my Gmail account for links to my non-market paid apps and I was able to restore all but one.
    Last edited by artcarney; 06-09-2010 at 11:38 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Appmonster Pro. The best way to back up apps. Allows for one press install of all your apps from the SD.

When restoring from Appmonster do the apps get recognized as dowloaded in the Market and notify you of updates?
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Yes. Backed up and recognized. There are two versions. Free and paid. The paid is the way to go. It will automatically make a back up on your sd everyone you install a new app so no need to worry if you have a back up or not. Then you can always open the fodder and move it to one you create for older versions of apps.
    Last edited by BHP77; 06-10-2010 at 08:32 PM.