Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been in love with this device since it was announced...I'm a MAJOR Google ... Android Smartphones forum

guitarfreak846 no está en línea Stack level 3

Questions about the G1...

Advertisement

I have been in love with this device since it was announced...I'm a MAJOR Google freak, I'm on T-Mobile, and have never owned a touchscreen device before so this looks like a great device to have!

However, I have a few questions to ask before I order one.

1. How is the battery life honestly? No 3G in Nashville yet, so that will probably add some hours. I don't currently use any bluetooth devices to link up to it. And i own a 120gb Zune, so I won't be using the G1 as my music source.

2. What is the upgrade price? I have owned a Blackberry Pearl 8100 since December 2007 (started contract then), so how much would it be to get the G1?

3. Should I wait or a new Android device? I saw the leaked info and pics on the new HTC Android phones and it looks to me that the one coming to T-Mobile is EXACTLY like the G1, but with a bigger screen and no keyboard (which is one of my favorite parts about the G1). I didn't see a headphone jack, but then again...I own a Zune for my music/video/podcasting needs.

Thanks in advance!!!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    2. You should be able to upgrade to the G1 in October (22 months after the beginning of your contract). Not sure how much it will cost though.

brad34471 no está en línea Stack level 2
    1) With moderate use, my G1 uses 50% of its battery in one day. This is not a problem for me, as I charge it up every night.

2) I think you could get it for the $ 179 with a two year contract extension.

3) At this point, I would wait as there appears to be multiple Android phones about to be released. The G1 has several "new release" quirks and the design is fairly low quality compared to BlackBerry.

That said...I don't regret my purchase of a G1.

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    I've heard the battery life is a bit of an issue with most G3 devices, the iPhone included. The nice thing about the G1 is you can have a spare battery if you need it. You can't swap the battery on the iPhone.

I got the curve the same time you did. They want me to pay $349 for an upgrade to a G1 at this time. I've heard of people calling T-Mobile saying they were going to cancel while on contract and being offered the G1 for $179 to stay.

I'd wait to see what the "G2" looks like.

My sister got a BB8100 the same day I got mine and she was able to get a new Samsung Behold on Christmas for $20 more than starting price just by calling T-mobile. I wonder if I can too as well with the G1...

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfreak846 View Post
    My sister got a BB8100 the same day I got mine and she was able to get a new Samsung Behold on Christmas for $20 more than starting price just by calling T-mobile. I wonder if I can too as well with the G1...
    It depends on demand and how well they like you as a customer. If you've been with them a long time and have paid your bills on time, they're more flexible. Some reps will be better than others.

Sign in to the T-Mobile site. It will tell you how much they want for an upgrade on all their devices. You can start from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmc View Post
    It depends on demand and how well they like you as a customer. If you've been with them a long time and have paid your bills on time, they're more flexible. Some reps will be better than others.

Sign in to the T-Mobile site. It will tell you how much they want for an upgrade on all their devices. You can start from there.
    We (my family) have been customers since T-Mobile was Ariel Wireless (that came before Voicestream) and have paid bills and such. I don't think it'll be a problem. I'm going to call when I get my last bit of money for it which should be this week.

We (my family) have been customers since T-Mobile was Ariel Wireless (that came before Voicestream) and have paid bills and such. I don't think it'll be a problem. I'm going to call when I get my last bit of money for it which should be this week.

How many family members are with T-Mobile? Anyone in the family have an expired contract? Re-up them and trade sim cards.

If not, you're in a good position to negotiate.

My dad possible is on his 2nd year...but we are still in contract. I'll see what I can do, and i'll definitely post what all happens.

Ok. I ordered one. 179.99 no upgrade fee or anything. I'm so pumped!!!!

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I hope you like it, however I DO recommend a spare battery. With moderate/heavy use, my G1 died before the day was over, every day.

Thank God for car chargers.

brettxw no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I'm sorry guitarfreak but I think once you get to playing around with it, you're going to send it back. Let me tell you why. I ordered one as well around nov. 12ish. was so excited to get this as it was my first touch screen as well. Well, when I received it, I was bored with it the first night and kept experiencing problems with for a week and then I decided to put it back in the box. The battery life sucks on that phone. I would unplug it around 230pm...by 6pm, the phone was dead. That was with me not doing much on it besides talking on AIM. now AIM was another issue. YOu sign onto AIM, it would not show your buddies, it would sign you off ever 10 minutes. In order to sign back on, you had to pull the battery. This was with every AIM app there was for the G1. and that was a major deciding fact in why I did not like the G1.

You may like the G1, I guess there is a update coming out for the G1 that improves the battery life. Give it a week and see how you like it. Just wanted to give you the reasons why I didn't like it.
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
    BlackberryOS
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Curve 8520
    Blackberry Curve 8320

How were you able to get it for $179 while being under contract? What did you say to them?

Apparently after like 11 months into your contract, you can get a 2 year contract extension in which you pay the normal price for the phone.

Apparently after like 11 months into your contract, you can get a 2 year contract extension in which you pay the normal price for the phone.
    I know there are discounts after 11 months but I didn't know they'd give the "new customer" price. Nice deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast