The Droid looks awesome, I'm soooo tempted. But still many questions.....gonna ask one now: On ... Android Smartphones forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Questions about email on the Droid

Advertisement

The Droid looks awesome, I'm soooo tempted. But still many questions.....gonna ask one now:

On a device like that, if not on an exchange server, do messages get pushed at all, even every 15 minutes? Or do you only know you have email if you open your email and check it like on my iPod Touch on wifi? I really havent looked/asked about how email on a non BB device works.....
    Last edited by azstar; 11-04-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    It looks awesome, soooo tempted. But still many questions.....gonna ask one now:

On a device like that, if not on an exchange server, do messages get pushed at all, even every 15 minutes? Or do you only know you have email if you open your email and check it like on my iPod Touch on wifi? I really havent looked/asked about how email on a non BB device works.....
    gmail,which i use,gets pushed. i believe all others get pulled. there may be a work around to remedy that but since i use gmail i haven't looked into it.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

OK, next question...is there support for push from multiple gmail accounts? If I have 2 would they both get pushed or would I have to set up a forwarding system to one primary account? Haha, I'm gonna move these since I'm hijacking your thread
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Mitch R. no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31B8E46E
    Good news was released this morning. The $30 data plan for the Droid will include Exchange sync. No extra $15 for Exchange.

I thought I read somewhere that the Droid supports multiple Gmail/email accounts.

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    it does support and it can automatically retrieve emails every 5 minutes is the quickest setting.. and it would be a scam if verizon charged extra for exchange

I saw a report on BGR that they will charge $30 more per month just like they do with BB and other smartphones, the extra 15 will be for business accounts or something to that effect.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    OK, next question...is there support for push from multiple gmail accounts? If I have 2 would they both get pushed or would I have to set up a forwarding system to one primary account? Haha, I'm gonna move these since I'm hijacking your thread
    yes you can have multiple gmail accounts
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    How does the Droid work with plain old IMAP email? I have an IMAP host (Rackspace) that sends email to/through my BIS account. And it works instantaneously (no wait from 3/10 minutes). Will the Droid do the same thing? Literature says it works with POP, IMAP, etc. VZW's interactive guide seems unnervingly simple and appears to do this. Anyone set up IMAP?

Also, is there a desktop manager equivalent to sync contacts and calendar with desktop Outlook? Owner's Manual does not mention this, and only references a transfer of this data via an export to Google or Gmail, which then moves to the Droid. Pain in the butt if that's the only way to sync. Especially if you don't use Gmail. Automatic OTA sync is mentioned but only for Exchange. So it appears there is no support for common Outlook. Maybe Google is trying to force migration to their own apps?

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Imap will work as a regular pull account so you will have to wait at least 5 minutes.

As far as synching, it syncs your contacts calendar to gmail. You can then export your contacts to outlook if that's where you'd rather have it. If you don't have a gmail acct you have to create one to activate the phone anyway
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/DRC92) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    Do you know if there any Android apps that work like Desktop Manager and interface directly with the phone, instead of having to port data through Gmail? For security, I (and probably most business users), don't want our data parked in a Gmail account. Maybe that's a fundamental reason why BB's may be the only solution. Of course, the Droid's interface with Exchange could be a solution for those users that HAVE Exchange.

Edit: apparently this company is working on it http://www.companionlink.com/android/index.html
    Last edited by IHateMyTreo; 11-07-2009 at 01:56 PM.