Hey all, Anyone here had actual time experience with the Q? I have some questions ... Android Smartphones forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Q Users? Anyone here tried it?

Advertisement

Hey all,

Anyone here had actual time experience with the Q?

I have some questions and looking for general information, user comments, etc.

Please let me know.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Q Users? Anyone here tried it?

I touched a "Q" one time, lol. Thats the extent of my experience.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Yeah, I played with one yesterday in the Verizon store, but having it inside a store and actually using it out in the real world are two totally opposite ends of the spectrum. That's why I am trying to find someone who has used it out in the real world. Like I said, we need to start up a "Rent A Cell" store.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Talk to MsBrenda. She had one for awhile, gave it up and came back to Blackberry.

chadgrice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f5bcde

hi there i work for a company that sells cell phones and plans for carriers here in canada. i have sold a few moto Qs. what the question you have maybe i can help

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

1. How quick is the email received on the Q? I understand it does not have a push technology, so do you have to set intervals for it to check for incomming email? If so, how does that effect the battery life of the device?

2. Instant messaging. Is it included in the operating system, or do you need to purchase a 3rd party application in order to use it?

3. Operating System. How stable is it really? I have heard stories about crashing, freezing during phone calls, etc.

4. Multimedia. Lets use cnn videos for an example. Am I able to view videos directly off of webpages, or can you only view video that is stored on the memory card? Also, how well do programs like those on handago work that allow you to view live tv on the device? On that same note, I am aware that the Q can "slingbox" tivo and xm radio, correct? Is this only in certain areas or avaliable all over the verizon network?

5. Are you able to change themes, like you can on a Blackberry, or are you stuck with the main screen the way it is?

6. What is the build like? Do keys wear over time? The trackwheel wear over time?

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I have a good friend who has one currently, I will ask her your questions and then give you her perspective on it.
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

chadgrice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f5bcde

ok heres your answers as best i can

1)the Q uses an application simular to BB after the BB getting sued scandle the coprights changed a little bit. the application the Q uses is called "IP-Push" i believe. so it does not need to be set to sync such as other devices like a palm treo. this radio useage of course does use some battery lif as it does on the BB but is taken in to account whaen the battery specs were made.
    2)as far as i know it doesnt have like BB messenger kind of messaging out of the box it of course does sms. but sometimes things are different between here and the states so it might have something down there. 3rd party is robably the way you have to go. it does in canada however use msn messanger.
    3)stability ... its windows... need i say more... acctually its not as bad as previous windows based units such as pocket PCs but it does have its flaws. it sshould work for you most of the time you ill have that odd annoying bill gates glitch.
    4)this might be a hugh differents between canada and the US. in canada you can only watch videos off the memory card and not online. the handago programs are choppy at best and have always been in myexperiance trying to watch tv. as far as slingbox with tivo and xm on verizon i have no clue. just having a slingbox has only ben around just under a year in canada and we dont have tivo. however on the telus network here they have xm radio and some streaming TV channels they cost extra on top of your plan but acctually work pretty good. mostly the streaming xm and TV work best in EVDO coverage zones here and are slightly choppy in 1x covrage areas.
    5)you cant change the theme of the phone as far as the blackberry way. but you can change the background picture to a photo different preloaded pictures and even basic animated pictures.
    6) the build is acctually pretty good look to have the same approxamate usage to wear out rates as blackberry.

hope that helps anything else?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    How about a Cingular 8125? Ever tried it or any info?

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~N8, I've only played with a friend's Q for a couple hours once. I thought it was pretty cool and really like the form factor of it, but would never trade my berry for one. I can't really answer any of your questions, but regarding Push e-mail, I read somewhere a while back that VZW has something in the works to get the exact same Push technology as on BBs very soon, but I don't know what that actually means as far as a time frame. Come on brother, you know you're a BB user for life and too important to this site, you can't cross over to the dark side of the Q.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

here is some info from a friend of mine who owns a Q

Here you go...

1. You can set it on intervals to check for incoming email - not sure how that affects the battery life considering all its other applications, but I address battery life in general in #3.

2. I don't use instant messaging on my Q (only text messaging), but I know you'd have to download the application (AOL IM, GoogleTalk, etc.) to have IM capability.

3. This is probably my biggest complaint with this phone. Yes it does crash from time to time, and goes off for no reason. Sometimes it gets stuck on the opening Verizon welcome screen, so I have to remove the battery, reinstall, and boot up again. Battery life is generally not that great, as it starts at three bars when fully loaded in the morning and is down to one bar by that evening (and I do an average amount of text messaging/phone calls). You can tweak certain setting and apps to save battery life, but someone suggested that I just purchase the extended battery.

4. I'm sure you can view videos off a Web page, but I haven't tried it since the browser doesn't condense the page to fit in the Q's screen to make it perfectly viewable (Yahoo, for example), and scrolling around is kind of a pain. I have viewed videos off of the Windows Media Mobile, and these are fine - in fact, I'm pretty blown away by the quality. I haven't downloaded anything off of Handango yet, but I was told that the SmartTVideo service works pretty well, if you want to pay for it. I store my MP3 song files on a memory card...I would imagine videos would be the same. Not sure about the Tivo thing, but I can stream XM when I go to the XM page thru my IE, and enter in my login. I would assume I can do that anywhere in Verizon's coverage area.

5. You can absolutely change your home screen. There are standard built-in formats that you can change to, but I also know that people can customize their screens to their liking.

6. I've only had the phone for about three months now, so I really can't testify to its longevity, but I do a considerable amount of text messaging, and the keys and navigate wheel are fine so far. It's really a solidly built phone - I've dropped it a few times, and it hasn't been affected at all.
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by SuzzyP
    here is some info from a friend of mine who owns a Q

3. This is probably my biggest complaint with this phone. Yes it does crash from time to time, and goes off for no reason. Sometimes it gets stuck on the opening Verizon welcome screen, so I have to remove the battery, reinstall, and boot up again. Battery life is generally not that great, as it starts at three bars when fully loaded in the morning and is down to one bar by that evening (and I do an average amount of text messaging/phone calls). You can tweak certain setting and apps to save battery life, but someone suggested that I just purchase the extended battery.
    This problem you describe seems to be true for all Q's.
    I was using a RAZR prior to purchasing my new BlackBerry. So naturally I looked at the Q, as it features really great styling and a thin profile.

That said, I have not had good luck with Windows Mobile. Especially annoying and frankly, for me it's unacceptable to have a device that crashes. Some people I know with the Q are getting by, however they are not using it as a business device.

So I purchased a BlackBerry 7130c and I could not be happier. Being completely new to BB it's been a great experience and after just one week I'm comfortable with it.

I use mine for business and personal. I like the speed and functionality, it meets my needs perfectly.

Best of all, I have not missed a single email, text or other form of message. Now I know why people prefer using a BB.

Cheers...

gator2418 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BDDBF

I tried the Q for about 24 hours, the clowns in the store didn't have a clue on how it worked or anything. Once I called customer care and they told me it was pop 3..I took it back the very next day. I was just going thru blackberry withdrawl......lol
    " GROWN MAN GADGET"
    " WATCHA YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT"
    PIN# 249F0817

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~my brother had a Q it kept crashing not to mention the short battery life I researched it and told him but some people have to find out the hard way lol he dumped it for some lame phone guess he had enough of the madness.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I got the Q when they were first released and used it up until a month ago. Prior to that I had Symbian and other devices but never a BlackBerry, until now. I'm a phone and tech fanatic so I've accumulated a lot of experience.

1) Email is really slow, you must manually pull it to the device. They do have something like a push mail however it's really buggy.

2) IM, I cannot respond to this as I do not use it.

3) Operating System. I'm a tech guy that works in Windows, OSX, Linux and Unix, so the only point is I'm familiar. I am not a zealot when it comes to any operating system as they all have their shortcomings.
    That said, the OS on the Q is miserable and crashes way to often. They have long ways to go, to get this stable and I believe that it's the reason Q sales have fallen dramatically.

4) Video, yes you can view videos however see #3) above.

5) You may changes themes but it's a pain.

6) Build quality is not too bad, however it's nothing to get excited about.

Now for the GOOD NEWs: I now use a BlackBerry 7130c and 8700c
    I cannot believe how good these are.
    Mon-Thur I use the 8700c, then I switch on Fri and use the 7130c over the weekend. What a sweet way to go.
    No crashes. No complications. Really intuitive and easy to use.
    Battery life is great. Build quality is good and they have the best display.
    No looking back for me, I'm enjoying the fact that they JUST WORK!

Cheers...