Well, several higher-ups here at my company are drooling over the Droid and Nexus One, ... Android Smartphones forum

Vrmithrax no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3133AA47

Question Push email for Android yet?

Advertisement

Well, several higher-ups here at my company are drooling over the Droid and Nexus One, and want to consider moving away from the flaky Blackberries they are dealing with... With the N1 coming soon to Verizon, the pressure is on to look at these phones from a business perspective, but most reviews I can find are just general and fluff. What I need to know is, how does it work for business? Particularly for email. If Android doesn't directly support a push email system to give us our company Exchange mail, it's a no-go. And I don't mean through a 3rd party app, and I definitely don't mean by forwarding through gmail or some lame system like that. If Android can't handle push email as easily and efficiently as a Blackberry, then we won't be considering it viable.

So, is the Android platform still lagging behind the rest of the smartphone world in this? Or have they matured enough to be a competent business phone option? Any pitfalls regarding official company email systems that I should keep an eye out for?

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Android 2.0+ support Exchange ActiveSync out of the box.

PIN/ID
    3133AA47
    Good to know! Does it require manual sync requests from the phone, or does it push automatically to the mobile like Blackberry? Been a long while since we've had any Windows Mobile phones in our company, so I feel like a newby when it comes to some of this stuff.

I forgot to specifically ask earlier, are there any issues with setting up mail folders and/or signatures for multiple email accounts on Android 2.0+ at this time?

Moe2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Good to know! Does it require manual sync requests from the phone, or does it push automatically to the mobile like Blackberry? Been a long while since we've had any Windows Mobile phones in our company, so I feel like a newby when it comes to some of this stuff.

I forgot to specifically ask earlier, are there any issues with setting up mail folders and/or signatures for multiple email accounts on Android 2.0+ at this time?
    Droid and Nexus One are not Windows Mobile, they are Android phones.

PIN/ID
    3133AA47
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe2005 View Post
    Droid and Nexus One are not Windows Mobile, they are Android phones.
    I got that... I am posting in the Android forum, after all.

My point was, the last time I had to deal with ActiveSync was when we had early phones based on Windows Mobile - you know, the platform ActiveSync was designed for in the first place? I just don't have any experience with platforms other than those early Windows Mobile devices, and don't know how they handle the whole ActiveSync handshaking and such. That was my question, does ActiveSync happen all the time, or does it have to be manually polled to receive email when on the road?

somephoneguy no está en línea Stack level 1
    Droid will connect with MS exchange server and do OTA updates or "push" to the phone and you can set the time interval at which this takes place. This and other options are available when you setup email accounts and can also be accessed from the account settings area on the device. Droid was developed with ability to connect to this type of email setup. In fact, it is actually easier to setup an account with Xchange than try the other work arounds that you have probably been reading about. These are only relevant when there is no server to sync to. I work with many of the android handsets and have set up many of these accounts personally. If you have any other questions just put them up here.