Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

So when I went through the initial setup on my Inc2 it asked me to ... Android Smartphones forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Problem with Gmail Sync

Advertisement

So when I went through the initial setup on my Inc2 it asked me to associate my device with a google account, so I used my primary gmail address, and then added my other two accounts (used for business purposes) as well. For some reason my primary email was associated with the Gmail app, and the second and third addresses were associated with the Mail app. They all worked fine, however, the two associated with the Mail app were syncing every email I had ever sent/received which is HUNDREDS.

Since I couldn't delete these emails without them being deleted from the server too and I need them kept, I simply went into the Mail app and removed the accounts, then went into the Gmail app and added them there instead. I thought that would resolve the overabundance of email, which it did as I can now use their Tags to control which ones I see and which ones I don't, but now I'm realizing that mail isn't being pushed to my device unless I manually go in and hit refresh.

This presents as a major problem because two of the three emails I use for business purposes and I need the emails to come through straight away without my having to manually refresh every hour or so.

So does anyone know how I can go about correcting this without my being flooded with old emails?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

What's an Inc2?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I see the problem, and you will find it difficult especially if you want Push mail working.
    Besides the need to "use" your Gmail account to set up your phone, and after it does, go to Accounts & Sync and in your Gmail, opt out of mail sync only. Let all others (if any, like Reader, Picasa, Contacts, Calendar etc) sync normally.
    Go to Add Account and choose "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync" and open the account there. Set it up with your normal Gmail details etc as normal, but change the domain to \your mail account name (for instance \javabratt) and your Exchange Server to m.google.com.
    You'll see that the next screen will prompt you to fine-tune your settings. And that means PUSH MAIL and access to your Gmail folders. You can do this for every Gmail account you may have. I suggest you don't sync calendar and contacts with this, or else you´ll be doubling up your lists.
    Good luck.
    dushdavj, jfcooley, lak611 and 1 others like this.

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    What's an Inc2?
    Incredible 2

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    I see the problem, and you will find it difficult especially if you want Push mail working.
    Besides the need to "use" your Gmail account to set up your phone, and after it does, go to Accounts & Sync and in your Gmail, opt out of mail sync only. Let all others (if any, like Reader, Picasa, Contacts, Calendar etc) sync normally.
    Go to Add Account and choose "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync" and open the account there. Set it up with your normal Gmail details etc as normal, but change the domain to \your mail account name (for instance \javabratt) and your Exchange Server to m.google.com.
    You'll see that the next screen will prompt you to fine-tune your settings. And that means PUSH MAIL and access to your Gmail folders. You can do this for every Gmail account you may have. I suggest you don't sync calendar and contacts with this, or else you´ll be doubling up your lists.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply delfim!

I'm thinking it must have been something hanging-up with Google or something inadvertently got changed because my mail was suddenly working fine not long after posting this. I had a couple friends who were helping me tweak settings because my battery was/is draining like crazy, so something may have got changed that fixed it too. I'm not sure to be honest, because my new device seems to have far more settings than my old BlackBerry did, but it appears to be working okay for now.

But thanks again!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thanks Del, learned something.
    I only use 1 email so I would have been worthless.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Actually Jay give Exchange Server a go. It's worth it...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    That's the way I have all my Gmail accounts set up.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Just off this thread´s topic Roger, I notice I'm crawling closer to your post count. I'm just short of another 10.000 or so...
    RogerG likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I am going to try and get my daughter to follow Del's advice on the exchange server, she has to sync her e-mails on her Android rather than them pushing to it. She has been living with this for a year now (never mentioned it to me), she said it isn't that big a deal as she does not e-mail much, but she wants to move back to BB at the next upgrade since she said she gets a far better battery life with it, and she wants BBM again
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Heck Dave, this topic has come up before... And you let your daughter go through all the suffering?
    Seriously, it's the best there is. It equals or betters BIS after I left BB. This was the reason I searched for this solution.
    Remember its good for iOS as well, even on the iPad.
    And she can download the battery saver app I published today.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, I have chastised her for not letting me know she had a problem!! I think she will find the batter app far more useful though since she is not really bothered so much by e-mail, uses the photo function, Facebook, Google+ and messaging far more, plus of course the browser. Her major push at the moment is to keep her GPA at it's current level so she can graduate with honors early next year
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Facebook app is the problem, if she's using the official. It's poorly coded and sucks a battery dry. The website is actually faster then the app, even on Sprint.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thanks Jay, I will tell her to do that, she did say last week that she was finding the App a problem.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    And another thing Dave. I'm sure your daughter will get the honors expected. Just don't you go and offer her an iPhone as a prize, like Roger did.
    Geez...

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ Prize, what's that, I am loaning her the money for the college, plus helping in other ways, I have been a Dad for too long to be tricked into the prize promise No Iphone's for her, either Android or BB10, whichever is better when her upgrade comes round, of course if the IPhone 5 is so innovative that it can outshine every thing else on the market I am sure she will look at it, but she is a little jaded about Apple since her Ipad (the original one) will not run some of the Apps anymore and the new update is unlikely to work on it, which means after forking out several hundred dollars it is out of date after 18 months of ownership. My wife who has had her IPad2 for a year (top of the range 64 Gb 3G) is also wondering how long before she will have to buy another one. I don't like the built in Obsolescence with Apple. Yes I know every tech item has it's day but really 18 mths is not long enough when you are paying so much money. My Playbook is now working on 4G thanks to the Mifi unit I have, and it is definitely fast enough processor wise, plus RIM will be updating it to BB10. My DEL notebook is now 5 years old and still working well with 4 Gb of memory OK it was the top of the range XPS when I bought it, but I have got my money's worth, plus I can still add more memory which I could not do if I bought the new MacBook Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast