The Wall Street Journal is the first with a real, hands-on, extended test and review ... Android Smartphones forum

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

The 1st REAL iPhone Review, and the Verdict Is...

Advertisement

The Wall Street Journal is the first with a real, hands-on, extended test and review of the iPhone.

Everybody's biggest question surrounding all the iPhone hype, was the virtual keyboard. Casual users that have had a few minutes with the iPhone keyboard, have pretty much dismissed it as a viable way to quickly input text.

The WSJ reviewer initially experienced that same frustration: "After 3 days I was ready to throw it out a window in frustration... but 5 days in I found I could type as fast as I had been typing on my Treo for years... "

Check it out: WSJ iPhone Review

More reviews if you are interested:

MSNBC

NY Times

USA Today

Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 06-27-2007 at 01:05 PM.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: OK Skeptics... The 1st REAL iPhone Review, and the Verdict Is...

i want to see him type on it like you would on a bb or any smart phone with a REAL qwerty keypad. oh that right you cant. and im hearing you cant send mms messaging? you have to flip over to add commas? and periods? the list of negitives are higher then the positives. just my 2 cents

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It lacks a removable battery. Batterry problems are very common, what happens when it dies. Do you go buy a new unit or send it to apple for repair.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

most likey send it back to apple and pay $100 plus dollars for a new battery. Kind of like the ipod

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: OK Skeptics... The 1st REAL iPhone Review, and the Verdict Is...

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX
    i want to see him type on it like you would on a bb or any smart phone with a REAL qwerty keypad. oh that right you cant. and im hearing you cant send mms messaging? you have to flip over to add commas? and periods? the list of negitives are higher then the positives. just my 2 cents

Take a look at this video...you can type fast after you master it...not unlike when people moved from the older version BB keyboard layouts to the 8700 series, and complained, then to the 8800 series, and on and on. The software learns your vocabulary and changes the size of the keys for hitting accuracy. The guy is faster than most people I know on their Blackberries, but maybe not you. At the end of the video he is typing like he is on a Blackberry...with two thumbs!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard.html

StarmanDX no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B010CC

Yeah, but you'll notice he never types anything that requires punctuation, as the on-screen keyboard has no punctuation keys without 'flipping' it. Honestly, that's just ridiculous. Even the SureType BBs have punctuation keys.

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

First of all, I don't want everybody here thinking I'm some iPhone/Apple fan-boy... love my BlackBerry, always will. But, as an engineering design person, I'm intrigued by the incredible industrial design and software development of the iPhone. Just look at the user interface, and appreciate what it would take engineering-wise, to do what the it does. If you can't see that or appreciate it, believe me... all the folks at corporate in Waterloo, are certainly paying very close attention.

The good news is, great product design and competition benefits everyone. I'm sure the design teams at RIM will be inspired and motivated to create even greater BBs as a result of the iPhone.

Now back to the topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDX
    Yeah, but you'll notice he never types anything that requires punctuation, as the on-screen keyboard has no punctuation keys without 'flipping' it. Honestly, that's just ridiculous. Even the SureType BBs have punctuation keys.
    StarmanDX- Look beyond what "conventional" keyboards are restricted to: keys with predetermined legends and functions. The amazing thing about this design, is that it's all in the software!

Many of the functions that the iPhone may have wrong or missing when it is released, can be updated with new software releases. Need a different way to input punctuation? Design another button in software, assign it a location on the touchscreen and bam... your device evolves.

Certainly you can't update hardware changes like GPS and 3G support without a new handset, but issues with searching contacts, calendar sophistication and keyboard problems can all be addressed and developed with software updates.

It's difficult not to recognize that the iPhone is a revolutionary device in terms of industrial design... I'll take one 8300 in silver and one iPhone in black please!

Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 06-28-2007 at 02:53 AM.