Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by ReggieSmith 1) Looking at the comments in that article posted by camshafter, ... Android Smartphones forum

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
    1) Looking at the comments in that article posted by camshafter, it seems that HTC has firmware issues (again)? That may be a recurring problem when you release a device that isn't locked into a specific carrier. At some point they will release a firmware update to fix it, but how will they communicate that to the masses? How will the update be handled? (God bless them, Apple has iTunes to distribute those sorts of things and that takes the guess work out of it for the majority of the casual users.)

2) Does Google have a centralized update mechanism? If they don't, they sure need one. Until they do, they will never surpass Apple & the iPhone for user satisfaction. (99% of the issues people complain about in reference to the iPhone are network related, NOT usability/functionality related.) They need to make it easy for the average user to use, maintain and update the device. This is where Apple has an edge. By limiting and controlling the HW, they make it much easier on themselves to keep the OS updated because they don't have to deal with as many HW variants as Android & WinMo.
    I agree, you've brought up some very good points. Here is how I predict they will be handled.

1) Firmware is a fact of life when it comes to smartphones, updating it is very easy as long as one knows what they are doing. HTC does not have a "firmware issue" but rather, they've created a better rev since they were given the initial code for the OS. I don't know a single person that is not a smartphone enthusiast, that even knows what an unlocked / unbranded phone is, therefore they are not going to buy one and have a problem. The enthusiasts know how to get firmware updates. I have more unlocked unbranded GSM phones, than locked-to-carrier domestic (USA) phones on the three carriers I use. (at&t, t-mo, verizon) I've updated firmware left and right without a problem and these other world phones are fantastic to use. Yes, to Apples credit they have made a good mainstream product that is very easy to use, therefore the non-tech non-smartphone people love them. Not to mention Apples brilliant marketing schemes and practices.

2) Let's remember we are talking "GOOGLE" here! While not invincible, they have a better than average chance of turning Android into something very special. Let's also remember this is version 1.0 and already it's better than anyone ever expected. To compare the N1 to any other phone is a huge mistake, just as it is to compare an iPhone to a BlackBerry (who have been at this for years). We have reached a point in mobile computing and communications where variety & choices are the norm. Different phones for different target markets.

At the end of the day there is a veritable explosion happening around Android. With GOOGLE as one of the major players, this will be one very fun project to watch.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Boy! I am so glad I got a Droid, there is way to many issues with Nexus, I don't even want one now, just give me 2.1 OS and I'll be happy until the Nexus II w/keyboard or without...
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Dont know, im very happy with my N1. Not one issue that i can see. I hold 3G all day long, it only switches when i go to wifi. maybe im lucky, who knows. if it is a firmware issue thats an easy enough fix. For now though, i couldn't ask for a better device. there are some things about the OS that im having to get use to but that comes from this being my first android and coming off an apple and BB. nothing major just having to learn a new system. I thinks its very easy to use everything on android so far as you want to take the time to learn how to do it and dont b&%ch because "its so easy on the apple or BB". guess what,its not an apple or BB, if it ran like one thats what it would be. This is where its going, GOOGLE is rising fast and making everybody take notice. I like the droid but IMO it doesnt look like a high end device or feel like one. It looks and feels like a great OS in a cheap shell, kinda like a ferrari engine in a mustang. other than that i think the droid is an awesome device. Still choose my N1 though

This whole "No Support Issue" is gonna kill the Nexus, they really need to try and fix that, I feel for those that purchased the unlock Nexus and the only Support from Google is via Email (and we know what that means - take a number...)

PIN/ID
    Apple
    For sure, the whole support for the phone thing should have been thought through a little more. As much as the world is turning to the internet and mobile for just about everything, for the average person that purchases a smartphone it is nice to be able to go to the local store and talk and show a person in person what exactly your compliant is. Even if 90% of the reps have no idea what to do other than what they have been trained to do. It at least satisfies the persons need to try and get the issue resolved. Personally, i don't need support, thats why we have the stacks,lol. What I want to see is how verizon is going to handle it, they have some of the best CS in the business. It will be interesting if they start training thier reps for support on this device and if they do, that will draw a huge amount of customers away from T-mobile who want this phone and ATT who want the iPhone or N1 but hate ATT service. we will see.

I'm pretty sure Google is learning and will prepare the next Carrier with a lot more training, but I still think I'm gonna wait on the Nexus II, so far from what I'm reading and hearing the Nexus is basically a Droid on Roids in a New Suit

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    All great points but IDK? Something that has always stuck out in my mind about Google is their lack of ability to finish off anything before releasing it. It's always been bare bones, fast and easy. (which is good)

I can't put my finger on it (finding the right words) to describe it but someday I will. There has always been something missing.
    I just can't put it into words at the moment...........

It's almost like they have no marketing div, sales, PR, etc. I just can't find the correct words to describe what I mean but something is missing and it has nothing to do with the phone.

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    T-Mobile acknowledges 3G problem.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...nius+Report%29
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    good find...you know with everything said i want one even more now

T-Mobile acknowledges 3G problem.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Here's what I know. Totally unofficial from a little bird flying around the Google Campus. They have shipped a "few" phones that have a bad chip that is causing the problem. They are in the midst of identifying who these were shipped to and will be sending them new phones. It's all rumor, but I do believe it's a pretty solid one. So if you have one that is acting up and can be a bit patient (Google has a special team working 24/7 on this) you may get a new phone very soon.

But what do birds know? .....heh!

SiNJiN no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well my problem is that I bought the phone subsidized. Unfortunately Google hasn't activated my phone yet. Emailed 2 departments and I haven't received any kind of response.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Nexus One Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    That's a shame. How long have you had the phone? (hours or days?)

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Looks like there have been complaints about touchscreen calibration as well http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/18/s...npage_engadget

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Looks like there have been complaints about touchscreen calibration as well http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/18/s...npage_engadget
    OUCH!! well maybe i will get the 9700

While there are some that are having issues, there are many like myself that are not.

It's also important to remember that most people that are happy and not hard core enthusiasts as we are here, are NOT going to join a forum to tell people how happy they are with their Nexus One.

For those that are having problems, that's the good news because it will remind Google that they are not perfect, cannot assume anything, and just like RIM (who has plenty of problems) must take action to keep their customers happy.

Finally let's remember the facts: Google is not a mobile phone company. They are beginning at ground zero and have a lot to learn. They have tons of cash to remedy whatever needs attention, and are highly motivated to "rule the world".

Even if the Nexus One project fails, we all win. Competition is what keeps the others on their toes, especially when it's competition from Google.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12