Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jfcooley

So, we occasionally get some new folks around here and I thought maybe I'd offer ... Android Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Newbie Android Word of the Week

Advertisement

So, we occasionally get some new folks around here and I thought maybe I'd offer a series if anyoness interested. Once a week I'll pick something pertaining to Android and try and simplify it so its not intimidating.

In some other forums if you ask a question inevitably some smart *** will complain that it's been asked 1000 times and suggest you use search. Well, simply, we don't do that round here. So if theress something you meed an answer for just ask.

Today: Nandroid.

Simply, a nandroid is a snapshot backup of your device as it is at the time you do it. You have to be rooted with a custom recovery to do one. A recovery is a software program that resides on your device and is accessed through quick reboot Alps, custom shutdown menus in ROMS, or through button combos when you turn on your device.

Clockwork Mod is one of the more popular recoveries. Once in the recovery you can choose to backup/restore.

The backup is stored on your sd card and is safe to transfer a copy to your computer. Once the nandroid is done you can revert back to it at anytime provided your phone allows you into recovery.

In a nutshell, it can save your Bacon. Say you want to try CM9. You install it, set it up, then decide you don't like it. Simply restore your nandroid and ypuree right back (provided you did it right before you flashed).

So, there. A simplified explanation. If this raised a few questions, ask. Aside from the questions from the regulars here for stating "There's no stupid question", there is no stupid questions.

(I'm hoping this is helpful and doesn't sink to bottom)
    RogerG and dushdavj like this.

I like this, good job! I'll keep up so I can learn about Android.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thanks Mark. When I was (am) learning I read and read. Seems like asking a simple question on other forums gets you laughed at or flamed. Its a shame since todays newborn could be a great developer tomorrow. One of the beauties of Androids open source.

Thinking I will start with something simpler and universal next week, like Widgets and how they don't show up in the app drawer.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well done Jay. I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Thinking I will start with something simpler and universal next week, like Widgets and how they don't show up in the app drawer.
    That's a good idea - although I speak fluent BlackBerry I'm still naive about Android and iOS. Again, great idea!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Great idea Jay, it will be postings like yours that will keep people coming back!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2