Well I'm not a new user yet but still got some questions. First how do ... Android Smartphones forum

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

New user questions

Advertisement

Well I'm not a new user yet but still got some questions. First how do you load app's on the androids? Do they have an app store? Do you have to use something like itunes to make these things work?
    Been thinking about trying one since I tried the iphone and didn't like it. Last night was talking to my son in law and he was thinking about getting his first smartphone and had some questions. Never playing with an android I couldn't say much about them.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    First, hello and welcome.

As far as getting apps on an android there are a few ways.
    1. Download from the market. Each android comes with the Market, and each app can be downloaded and installed directly from it.
    2. You can also use Amazon App store to download, and they have a free paid app every day. Pretty much works like the android market.
    3. You download an app from elsewhere and use a file manager. This can be risky, not enough to be really scared, just make sure you know where it came from. Usually the ones I get like this are from xda.

There's no iTunes like program to fret with. You can get apps to back stuff up to avoid issues, but the market tracks your apps, and you can see a list of installed at any time on the market. You will also see your paid apps, and they stay linked to your account. So once paid, its yours, just go to "my apps" on the market and download again.

There are several great members here that have androids, we'll all be happy to help.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 07-25-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: autocorrect fail app=apostle????

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about trying one out but might wait and see if he goes with one. That way I can play with his and see what I think. Not that I'm going to give up my blackberry anytime soon. Still waiting on the 9900

Cool. As you know it'll be different than bb, but wouldn't blame you if you stuck with RIM.

I just love my email on the BB so it would be hard to switch. How does the email work on the droid compared to the iphone? I hated it on the iphone. Also how does the droid handle notifications? On the iphone they suck unless you jailbreak and I didn't jailbreak

I believe email is similar to the iPhone. There is an included client that allows most protocols, and you also have a Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo apps as well.

Notifications are handled through the status bar at the top. You can choose a sound of course, but when I get a new email, text, whatever it shows at the top. I just swipe down from the bar and it slides down to show you all notifications. Emails get listed by sender, texts as well. You get download notifications and most apps will give you an option of notifying by the bar or just putting an icon there.

I believe the stock text and email client will give you iPhone like numbers on the icons for each. I don't use stock, so am unsure (I know text did, but never used stock email client)

I really hated the way iphone did it and didn't want to jailbreak to see if it was better. What is rooting? Can you do most anything you want with a droid as it is or do you really need to do something like jailbreaking to get the best out of one?

Rooting is when you gain complete (or nearly complete) access to android. With an unlocked bootloader you can put different (optimized) versions of android (or ROMS) on tour device. I doubt I can explain it as well as the mass of tutorials online can. It can be as easy as dl a file, connecting through USB and clicking that file. It can be a bit more complicated. I strongly suggest researching before doing.

With root, you can overclock or underclock your device. Overclock can give performance gains (depending on your device, kernal, ROM). Underclocking can improve battery life, which can be an issue.

To get the best? Well really that depends on you and how you use it. Most devices now will come with the latest version of android, gingerbread. Depending on what you get, you could have a monster (Samsung galaxy s II, HTC sensation, thunderbolt or evolution 3d), or you could get a really great older device but still strong. If you use it for email, playing a few games and surfing, I don't think root will provide enough advantages to do.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 07-25-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: autocorrect and lack of attention ....ifail

Thanks for the help. I would do allot more reading before I tried to root one. I didn't want to jailbreak mainly because every time they updated the OS you might have to want for the new jailbreak to come out and things like that. Apple is just too much about getting as much money out of your pocket as they can and with androids there are so many companies out there some of that just isn't there. Again thanks for the quick answers, it did help

Glad I could help, and we didn't even get into customization.

Keep in,mind these are my opinions, and actual user mileage may vary.

Seems like we might not have the time to go into customization. My biggest thing is I just don't along with touch screen keyboards. The other thing is as they make newer phones the battery life keeps going down. If they keep it up we might have to plug the phone in every hour just to make it last the next hour