Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Hey guys! I have a question I hope someone may know the answer too. I ... Android Smartphones forum

robcross72 no está en línea Stack level 3

Motorola Photon Q and Custom Roms... Need Help

Advertisement

Hey guys! I have a question I hope someone may know the answer too. I have the Motorola Photon Q and Ihave unlocked the bootloader so that I could root and try custom roms. However, the problem I am facing is that the few custom roms for cdma photons do not work for me. To be more specific, everything works except for the data network (3g). My phone never shows up with 1x or 3g or anything and when I open the browser or chrome I receive a message I am not connected. Any other apps I have that rely on the internet also tell me the same. So, when I go back to the stock rom everything works as supposed to but just not on the custom roms. I have posted several times on xda where the roms are but all I get is one guy saying he knows for sure it works for cspire cause a cspire friend of his tested the rom. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that guy to help. As a matter of fact, I was treated so rudely buy him and several others I completely cancelled my membership with xda. If someone here knows a solution then I greatly appreciate the help. If not, its totally understandable since most folks seem to have the iPhone or S3. I think I should have stuck with the iPhone but I just had to go back to Android. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hopefully one of our rooting experts will be able to give you some tips. I have a 'Droid, but am far from an expert on rooting. In fact, I had to have somebody root my device for me! lol

Maybe Cooley can help? Jay?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm sure jfcooley will be all over this. Just up his alley. Just be patient, Jay works. So, as soon as he has the time, he'll be trying to help.
    You rooted Rog? Wow! That took some doin'...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    It was shipped to me that way, Del.
    Delfim likes this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I may be able to help but I've got Emma for a few more hours.

More info please. What carrier was it originally etc.
    Will get back. She's fussing.
    RogerG and Delfim like this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    It was shipped to me that way, Del.
    Now I remember. You better not touch anything then...

Was the phone a cspire device or did you flash it to cspire?

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Was the phone a cspire device or did you flash it to cspire?
    Forgive me.... I've been tied up in meetings. Just now getting to where I can reply to you. To answer your questiion I purchased the Photon Q from Cspire when it was 4.0. Took forever to get the bootloader unlocked but did. Then the update to 4.1 rolled out and I updated. I had tried one of the custom roms but was unable to get data working. I made the mistake of not doing a backup before I flashed the rom and thought I was screwed. Luckily I found some advice on using rsd lite and going back to stock. I am not at home so I can't say the specific file I used. That got me back to stock 4.1. I have since tried 3 or 4 custom roms (supposedly all for cdma) but still have the same issues. I am making a guess but I think those roms may only work with Sprint network. I say this because after flashing the custom roms I type in *#*#4636#*#* and it brings up a menu with Phone opitons (or something named similar) and when I click on it to make sure phone is set to CDMA/LTE, it says "Sprint" near the top. When I am using my home wifi to redownload all my apps, all the custom roms say "Sprint" on the lockscreen in the same place the lockscreen says "CSpire" on the stock rom. I really am no expert so I may have screwed something up. Unfortunately since th bootlaoder is unlocked I can't swap for another one. Anyway, i hope I have given you enough info. If not just let me know. I am trying to think of everything you may need to know. Thanks again. Especially for the friendly replies from everyone. I found other forums to be so rude. Stackers are the best!

Edit: Did a search and found the file I used with rsd lite to revert back to stock. It was "asanti_c_cspire-user-4.1.2-9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-7-8-release-keys-cid9.xml.zip" Don't know if that info is important or not. Thanks again.
    Last edited by robcross72; 06-26-2013 at 06:20 PM.

1st, Roget may want to move this to the cellular south thread, I know thos guys are familiar with flashing sprint ROMs.

Let me look around. I know with the s3 once its flashed to metro/cspire a sprint ROM will work. I admit I've only glanced at those threads and will review them in a few.

The "Sprint" on the lockscreen and pull down are irrelevant. A simple edit can change them and it has no effect on service.

As for service, I'd look at system/about phone/status will tell you what's going on. Should see imei, cspire user name for data, MIN, phone number, whether its connecting, and an iccid(lte).

With sprint if any of those are borked you can ##data# reset, and reactivate the device.

If the dialer codes work, and are similar to cspire (would bet they are) you could call customer service and just have them run you through the fix. If the codes work, cspire techs need not know your rooted, or on a different ROM. Doesn't matter, and they can't tell. Just know whatever version of android its supposed to have so you can feed them the right answer if they ask.

If you're lucky you'll get a tech that doesn't care.

About XDA, it is going downhill. Depends on device but mostly you'll get "did you search?" Or other drivel because for some its too hard to help. Some complain about "useless posts" as if they pay for the bandwidth. I usually only post to help, or within threads that show mature posters. The Sprint S3 forums aren't as harsh as others I've seen.

Hope helps and I'll look around. Try simply activating first.

Hey jfcooley! Thanks for the help. I did not think about calling a tech. I will have to try that. In the meantime here is what I did. I went ahead and installed a custom rom. I then went to the system/about phone/status and here is what I found. Network = Sprint, Mobile Network State = Disconnected, ICCID = Unknown, IP address = Unknown, Phone number does show my number, MEID and IMEI both show a number. I did the *22801 dialer code but nothing. I will call a tech and see what happens. Thanks again.

Remember, I'm not familiar with your device.
    Are there radios for your device that need to be flashed?

Still trying to read up but Emma is wound up today. Keeping wife and I busy.

Hey jfcooley! Thanks for the help. I did not think about calling a tech. I will have to try that. In the meantime here is what I did. I went ahead and installed a custom rom. I then went to the system/about phone/status and here is what I found. Network = Sprint, Mobile Network State = Disconnected, ICCID = Unknown, IP address = Unknown, Phone number does show my number, MEID and IMEI both show a number. I did the *22801 dialer code but nothing. I will call a tech and see what happens. Thanks again.

Hey jay I have called c spire tech support and all they did was tell me they would refresh my data in their system and told me to dial *228. Which I did and nothing. Look, I have read through different posts trying to find something and I am starting to see cross eyed. Please don't waste your time trying to research a solution. It is not that big of a deal. I do appreciate your willingness to research a little. Sounds like you have way more important things to worry about. Spend time with your wife and kids. Thats whats important. Thanks again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=241

I'm thinking this post is on to something. Try finding way to back up apns from your cspire ROM and restoring to the sprint ROM.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...NBackupRestore

Pay ATTN to special instructions in the description. The app needs to be a system app. TiBu can handle this.

Don't stress it. I'll help when I can. Emma was wound up today so she needed to play with her daddy.

Sound asleep now, but I will be before long. Try the apns. I read a little about the prl causing issues. That will require more than I'm capable of, but I think the cellular South thread would be helpful. Those guys tend to keep to themselves but they're good folk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast