Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

My wife and I have had the same T-Mobile Family Plan for about 12 years. ... Android Smartphones forum

Keep your Plan - it pays off

Advertisement

My wife and I have had the same T-Mobile Family Plan for about 12 years. We were thinking of jumping to AT&T or maybe Verizon because we've been eyeballing the iPhone 5, but instead we got a pair of Sammy Galaxy S3 machines. So to make a long story short, by staying with our Family Plan and getting the S3s, we pay $59 for two lines (1000 minutes each), $5 per line for unlimited text, and $10 per line for unlimited data. The data plan is 2 Gigs per month high speed, then after that unlimited but throttled - that's a total of $89 per month. The rep told my wife that we're "grandfathered in" with the great price because we've stuck with them for so long. It pays to not jump around!

The first four days on the unlimited data I've used 97.09 megs with heavy "toy" usage (a lot of it is playing with Google Earth) and downloading necessary apps so it appears the 2 Gigs of high-speed will work quite nicely. Also, the phone defaults to WiFi when it is available.
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 01-26-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Speeling erorrs.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wish Sprint was so kind.
    I have unlimited data with no throttling, but speeds are laughable. What's worse is the i81 corridor through my home town hot LTE last month but its no where to be seen in Charlottesville. They haven't done any of the "Network Vision" upgrades around here either.

Not my choice, and Jefferson can't be choosers so we will stay. I've used as much as 500mb in an evening downloading ROMs. Just takes all night. I shouldn't complain.

Glad to hear you dig those S3s Mark.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

That's great, but lemme plug Solavei once again. If you switched you would get unlimited voice, text and data for 49/mo each line. That's about 9/mo more than you're paying now. You don't use it but you'd be throttled at 4gb. Even better than what you have now.

Now here's the biggest differences. First, you are locked into a contract with TMO. No contracts with Solavei. Second, if you refer just three people (your wife would be the first), you would get 20/mo back, cutting your bill to 78/mo, and so forth. Neither TMO nor AT&T will do that so eventually your bill would be non-existent, and you might even be making money off the deal.

Make sense?
    Last edited by RogerG; 01-26-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

That's great, but lemme plug Solavei once again. If you switched you would get unlimited voice, text and data for 49/mo each line. That's about 9/mo more than you're paying now. You don't use it but you'd be throttled at 4gb. Even better than what you have now.

Now here's the biggest differences. First, you are locked into a contract with TMO. No contracts with Solavei. Second, if you refer just three people (your wife would be the first), you would get 20/mo back, cutting your bill to 78/mo, and so forth. Neither TMO nor AT&T will do that so eventually your bill would be non-existent, and you might even be making money off the deal.

Make sense?
    I had never heard of Solavei until now - I went to the website and watched the introductory video, very interesting

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I´ve been trying to get information about Solavei here, in Europe. It´s a vast market as we know, but worse than the US each country to its own. Different bandwidth rules and restrictions, different regulations and so on and so forth.
    Apparently as long ago as 6 years ago something in Solavei´s vein has been attempted here. It died. The big operators made it too expensive for it to take root, although a different "branch" of an operation was capable to launch in France and lately EE in the UK. And that apparently is making quite a dent. They are creating a network of their own, with no alliances. It cost billions for them to buy the bandwidth and financing came from the Middle-East I believe.
    Now, Solavei has said it would expand into the EU. I´m skeptical that they can. I don´t think they can associate themselves to any carrier. And the controlled "bandwidth air space" here is so damn restrictive and "Mafia type" distribution controlled, Solavei will not be able to penetrate. As for "profit sharing" with their client base, forget it. The sharks here eat everything, even the left over morsels.
    Now, Solavei in the US has been running for quite a while and I´m glad their customer base is already running into the hundreds of thousands already.
    I´ve had the opportunity to talk about it here on Pinstack a few times but apparently it didn´t garner any interest. Plus all the stuff RogerG keeps on posting on Facebook, Google+ and even Path. Pity. It was done for you all to see, and to go and discover... I still think it´s a grand idea, and profit sharing is always a good objective, especially in todays economic climate.
    Cheaper is always better. If you can make a buck or 2 it´s glorious.
    But its not for everyone. Not for me, definitely. The Atlantic Ocean is too vast to cross.
    But, for you guys over in the US...it´s an opportunity. Gone by it seems...
    Last edited by Delfim; 01-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Best news for you, Mark is that Solavei is a T-Mobile MVNO.

Don't Despair, Del. EU is coming in Q2.
    Last edited by RogerG; 01-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post

Best news for you, Mark is that Solavei is a T-Mobile MVNO.
    What's MVNO?

Is your Google broken?

Solavei runs on the TMO network.

MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator.

Lots of them out there under various names.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Layman terms Rog, please.
    Carriers that contract unfilled internet bandwidth and cellular space from the major carriers to fill niche markets. They have lower prices and offer equal service to capture clients.
    I suppose that's about it.
    RogerG likes this.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    My wife and I have had the same T-Mobile Family Plan for about 12 years. We were thinking of jumping to AT&T or maybe Verizon because we've been eyeballing the iPhone 5, but instead we got a pair of Sammy Galaxy S3 machines. So to make a long story short, by staying with our Family Plan and getting the S3s, we pay $59 for two lines (1000 minutes each), $5 per line for unlimited text, and $10 per line for unlimited data. The data plan is 2 Gigs per month high speed, then after that unlimited but throttled - that's a total of $89 per month. The rep told my wife that we're "grandfathered in" with the great price because we've stuck with them for so long. It pays to not jump around!

The first four days on the unlimited data I've used 97.09 megs with heavy "toy" usage (a lot of it is playing with Google Earth) and downloading necessary apps so it appears the 2 Gigs of high-speed will work quite nicely. Also, the phone defaults to WiFi when it is available.
    For $20 more, you can both get truly unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    For $20 more, you can both get truly unlimited data.
    While true, very few people ever even get close to using 4gb of data every month. Plus there is NO other carrier that pays you back to refer its service in the manner that Solavei does so that you can actually EARN money by using your smartphone. And mobile service is just the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned.

I still have a value family plan on T-Mobile and I did get my i5 and my daughters 4S unlocked before the unlocking 1/26 debacle, so I am wondering if I should just keep the i5 and move them over to T-Mobile and wait patiently for the re-farming to light up in Portland, OR or stay on ATT. The only problem with ATT is that we have to share 1gb of data and we are paying for two carriers, but I would have to pay two ETF's with ATT at $325 each to make the switch Trying to figure out what would be the best move since with our T-Mobile plan, you have to pay full price for a phone and it ups the contract another two years. We have unlimited voice, text, data on TMO

You have to pay full price AND commit to another two years with TMO? That doesn't seem right. At least with an MVNO, while you have to pay full price for a phone, you're not under any contract. Even paying full price for a phone, you're still saving money in the long run. Plus, by being paid back for referring people, it not only can cover your phone bill, but you can also earn bonuses that would cover your ETFs.

The TMO refarming is going pretty quickly now, and they've said that by the end of the year, they'll have 200,000,000 people up on LTE. Go to www.airportal.de. It's a map that shows you the refarming progress.

Ya, unfortunately the value plan saves you monthly on your bill, but you are kind of screwed when you want to upgrade. If we bring over our unlocked ATT phones, we won't have to pay full price or up the contract. So, I guess if you add full price of two phones at $600 each $1200 plus another two years vs paying $650 for ATT ETF's and no contract upgrade, it seems like a better way to go. That's why the Nexus 4 seemed like a great deal, because it is unlocked, full price affordable, vanilla and we could just pop our sim in and go. So many decisions, it is making me dizzy.. Roger, if we weren't on contract, the MVNO would be a good way to go.

On another note, if I exchange my i5 for a different device, I would be locked to ATT because now it is illegal to get an unlock.. Wish I was out of contract with all and didn't need to worry about all this crap..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast