Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I finally had it with Android handsets. After two years of using Android handsets. I'm ... Android Smartphones forum

vel4769 no está en línea Stack level 2

Is there a damn Android phone with decent battery life!

Advertisement

I finally had it with Android handsets. After two years of using Android handsets. I'm just tired of poor battery performance. I understand all makes and models of phones are going to use up the battery but Android phones are notorious for poor battery performance. I've had the following Android phones within two years. Original Droid, My touch 4G, LG optimus, and the LG G2X. I've also tried all remedies to maintain decent battery life. Trained the so called battery by completely charging and depleting it numerous times, keeping the phone on 2G only. I've tried app killers, which is mostly BS, I've tried dimming the screen, rooting the phone. I've also tried turning off apps and or removing unnecessary apps, and Turning off wifi. I can't even remember how many other things I've done to improve battery consumption But I've had it... Just having the damn phone on standby is a challenge. I've got myself a BB 9780 and even though it may be dull it does the job. I may miss angry birds but I just want the phone to last a full day without reaching for the electrical cord to charge it. I thought I would never go back to BB but the hell with it. I won't come back to Android until a decent handset with good battery performance comes out.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I've had the HTC Incredible since last summer. The mere fact that it has a larger screen the most BB's means it's going to use up the battery faster than most BB's. I've also had a heck of a time keeping it charged and tried many, if not all, of the things you mentioned above without success UNTIL I turned off the GPS. I was using it in conjunction with "Follow Me" (for example) in Weather Bug as well as several other apps. As soon as I turned it off opting to use the network instead, my battery life soared and I can go all day without recharge with my "normal" usage. I can't go back to BB - the Android is too fast comparatively and I'm still weary of thinking about looking at that dam' hour glass on the BB.

(BTW, the lithium batteries DO NOT have memo like the old NiCad ones so your the 'completely charging and completely draining the battery' exercise is old hat and doesn't apply any more.) Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    a thought, don't you have the android phones because they have so many more options/apps/screen size speed than blackberry, so now you are turning off the GPS, follow me in Weather Bug etc, and improving battery life, get a blackberry I use a torch, I have BerryWeather on it using GPS for my location, I use Google Maps with latitude etc, and I also use it as a phone (perish the thought ), the battery normally goes down to about 30% after taking off of charge at 6 am, and putting back on charge at 1 am. I must admit I only turn WiFi and BlueTooth on when I need it, but that is so easy to do, it is not a problem.

Good luck with your new 9780. And yes I can understand the liking the bigger screen, faster cpu, more apps, nor battery pulls, better integration with Google etc, the most important thing is to be happy with your phone and to be able to use it for the functions you require.

Thanks for the replies and input everyone. I appreciate it. I forgot to mention that in addition to my battery consumption frustrations my job requires me to have a phone that is reliable. As in good signal and charged. I don't have the luxury to be in a car, office and carry around extra batteries or cables. I did get the Android handset for the screen size, speed, better apps, etc. However If keeping the phone on standby is a challenge I must seek a phone other Android. Thanks .......

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Vel, re: "...as in good signal...." The signal is almost totally the result of having a carrier that is good in the areas that you frequent. I have traveled quite a bit in the US and never lost a signal to my knowledge with my BB OR Android - same carrier and it's not AT&T or T-Mobile. @ Dushavj, as for turning off the GPS, I don't miss it. Weatherbug follows me fine using the newwork. I don't need my location within a square yard and I don't want to post my locations of FB or Twitter ever. I'm sticking with my Android for now.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

True that JBfish. I didn't mean to say that Android phones have bad signals. I just mean my employer wants me in have a reliable phone. Meaning one with good reception and good battery life. One out of two isn't making it for me. Don't want those overpriced batteries that are thicker and prolong the life by two hours either. However I will return to Android someday just need one to have a kick *** battery lol. Thanks for the input....

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    One of my classmates has two smartphones. His work-issued BlackBerry is on BES and provided by his employer.

His personal device is an HTC Evo on Sprint. He does not need to worry about the battery, since he does not use the Android for work.

Perhaps, you will get a chance to enjoy an Android device again in the future if you do not need to use it for work.

yes lak that's a good idea. Two phones would solve the problem. I wish my job would provide me with a phone but it doesn't. I will return to Android in the future unless I leave my job sooner lol. Thanks for the info......

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by vel4769 View Post
    yes lak that's a good idea. Two phones would solve the problem. I wish my job would provide me with a phone but it doesn't. I will return to Android in the future unless I leave my job sooner lol. Thanks for the info......
    That is too bad your employer does not provide a phone. Good luck with the BlackBerry and your job. Who knows? Perhaps your employer will provide a phone in the future, or you will get a nice raise and be able to get another phone for personal use.

tHANKS LAK.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Droid X was rated #1 in battery life among Android phones and it won by a mile. You have to know what to look for in a phone. If you fall for gimmicks like a super colorful screen, or front camera you'll never use, then you probably overlooked the DX. But it has been the workhorse of Android devices. Best build quality, battery life, and runs the latest version of Android. The Droid X2 is the only phone I'd trust right now if I were upgrading. But I have no need to upgrade because the original DX is as solid as they come. I need function over gimmicks. Granted I am rooted, but I get a day & 1/2 easy.

I'm also hearing great things about the Droid Charge battery life.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

rdills I see your point. I never tried the droid x or droid x2. Being that the phones run on Verizon wireless i doubt it would've have done me any good. I had the Original droid with verizon wireless and the reception became poor within a two year period near my house. I gave it up and went with another carrier. Seems like Verizon wireless has all the good Android phones with good battery life. Well cant get a droid x , droid x2 or droid charge if I don't get good reception at home. Thanks for the info though.....

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    DROID x with zombiestomped custom ROM is awesome
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ok, my 2 cents...
    Ive had them all. Android, BB, iPhone, Symbian.
    And tested most of them, including the latest. And owned them too.
    My verdict ? Battery life on all, and I mean ALL, suck !
    But I must say the BB is the best for a simple reason: since its the simplest of the lot, WE SPEND LESS TIME tinkering with it. If you do, the battery sucks just as much.
    iOS and Android - we cant help it ... Its a plaything. But if you leave them alone, the battery is as good as any other.

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Lol..... We all know how hard it is to leave them in our pockets and not play with them.
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast