Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is what I found on the news today. Comments? http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...22?hub=SciTech... Android Smartphones forum

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2

Iphone outsells Blackberry?

Advertisement

Here is what I found on the news today. Comments?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...22?hub=SciTech

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

djdeerock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Publicity. Just think of how much more media and social attention is whoring the IPhone to everybody and their mother! RIM runs minimal advertising...doesn't have other products on the market that draw attention to their sell phones...and they are STILL competing very well with apple. Hopefully the storm, with all its increased media attention and hype will deliver a massive blow to the over-hyped piece of crap IPhone. I mean...honestly....it doesn't even have cut/paste!!! LOL

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Why folks are always comparing or constrating Iphone and the current Blackberry eludes me, when in fact they are to completely different devices. The Iphone is not a Business Smartphone, so there is no contrast to any current Blackberry. It, the Iphone is a consumer based supposedly Multimedia phone.

Now, if you want to compare or constrast Multimedia phones, then give it a few more weeks and one can do that with the BB Storm and the Iphone, and considering what I've read and seen of the forthcoming Storm, its a no brainer. With the storm you will have all and more of the current Blackberry, and the Iphone 3G.

So, unless one is a die hard Mac fan, I'm sure given an Opportunity, one would choose the Storm over the Iphone every time.

And that's my Story, and I'm sticking to it!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Why folks are always comparing or constrating Iphone and the current Blackberry eludes me..............
    DJ, I think it's because they are both smart phones and they are at the top of the list, sales-wise. No other reason. Remember, logic doesn't have to apply in a comparison - it's phones, and news we're being sold.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jayjay7411 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3189BF5E
    Storm thanks to verizions amount of advertising!!will so make blackberry #1 again!!~via BB (wap.pinstacj.com)~

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I think that most of the holdouts to buying BB devices last quarter were people that have one now and are looking at upgrading to the new devices (Bold, Flip, Storm, etc...) that haven't actually launched yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see RIMS Q4 sales numbers climb higher with the launch of the highly anticipated units here in the states.

Which reminds me, I need to sell my shares of Nokia and buy RIM while it is under $50.

Zo

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Plus US sales I'm sure are pending on release of several newly released or soon to be released BlackBerries. Now that the 8220 flip BB is out, the Bold finally is being released in the US, and the upcoming release of the Storm will bring a big boom in sales especially with Christmas coming.

I think many people due for an upgrade have been patiently waiting for these new devices, so the BB sales boom has been slowed by device release delays.

EDIT: Hey Zo, quit stealing my thoughts while I type
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

j2bbdev no está en línea Stack level 1
    the problem i have here is that they are comparing two completely different types of devices. blackberrys in general are targeted for business consumers and professionals whereas the iphone is targeted toward the average phone consumer. by numbers, there are more average users than business users. so one would expect the sales of devices to be higher.

this would be like comparing ibm server sales to dell laptop sales. two unique markets. yes, there is overlap. but clearly you would go in expecting laptop sales to be much higher because average consumers buy laptops and not servers. some average users do purchase servers for their own personal use, but they are generally the exception not the rule. businesses buy servers, while businesses and average consumers buy laptops.

I would consider statistics of blackberry storm sales to iphone sales of more use and credence. because the storm is the first device in my opinion solely targeted for the average consumer, with business users second (even though it still has all the features of the standard blackberry). the pearl was always the cute business alternative to the brick devices IMO. However, regardless of how well the Storm does, it has quite a bit of work cut out for it. RIM crossing over into this market will require them to change how people view blackberry devices; i.e. not just for business anymore.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2bbdev View Post
    the problem i have here is that they are comparing two completely different types of devices. blackberrys in general are targeted for business consumers and professionals whereas the iphone is targeted toward the average phone consumer. by numbers, there are more average users than business users. so one would expect the sales of devices to be higher.

this would be like comparing ibm server sales to dell laptop sales. two unique markets. yes, there is overlap. but clearly you would go in expecting laptop sales to be much higher because average consumers buy laptops and not servers. some average users do purchase servers for their own personal use, but they are generally the exception not the rule. businesses buy servers, while businesses and average consumers buy laptops.

I would consider statistics of blackberry storm sales to iphone sales of more use and credence. because the storm is the first device in my opinion solely targeted for the average consumer, with business users second (even though it still has all the features of the standard blackberry). the pearl was always the cute business alternative to the brick devices IMO. However, regardless of how well the Storm does, it has quite a bit of work cut out for it. RIM crossing over into this market will require them to change how people view blackberry devices; i.e. not just for business anymore.
    On the sales side that image has already begun changing. I have people buying BB devices as a "status" symbol. More moms are buying it to keep in touch with their kids (especially if their kids have one already). The image has been on a consistent change to a consumer device and not just a business device since the launch of the Pearl. The new advertising that BB and Verizon have been doing for the Storm should help really push that new image.

Zo

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    I think the Stackers here have covered it. With soon to be released in the U.S. models, RIM's sales volume will increase tremendously

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    My concern is that the iPhone 3G has such a head start in sales, backed by the Apple advertising machine, that RIM has too much catching up to do. To make matters worse they have brainwashed AT&T to throw all their focus into this one device. I read an article today regarding the huge cost to AT&T to carry and sell this phone. And yet they have a talking points memo for the sales people to twist the customers arm and get them to believe the buggy iPhone 3G is far superior to the Bold.

After all the only new BlackBerry that's "cool" so to speak is the Storm. Personally I could care less about cool, however I do not represent the general public and their rather vain desires, and lemming like behavior. This is combination with AT&T's laser like focus on the iPhone at the expense of any substantial attention going to the new Bold, is worrisome at best. Unless there is some sudden shift that happens on Nov 4th at AT&T showrooms everywhere, the Bold will be a very soft launch which is further exacerbated by the price sensitivity when compared to the iPhone at 50% less cash outlay.

The momentum that Apple has going presently is rather disturbing. After all look at the today's news that Congress wants the iPhone... hello? Anybody home? Toys for the Congress men and women... surely you jest. But then again, I do understand they have bought into the hype. They live lifestyles of wealth, power, and image. It's not about functionality, it's about being seen with one in your hand. Speaking for myself whenever I hear a phone described as "sexy" I want to puke. It's plastic boys and girls? It's this lifeless object? If that's sexy, I'm glad that I don't see it that way.

Time will tell...

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Apple is selling a lot of iPhones. No one is arguing that. But then again RIM is just doing nearly just as many BlackBerrys. Comparisons aside I think RIM has a few advantages that will prove they are better at the phone game.

First is expertise, email and connectivity simply can't be beat. I don't care how many 3's or G's you have nothing beats a phone that works well when you need it.

Next is variety. Let's see you have iPhone and iPhone 3G (I might have to come back tomorrow this is a little overwhelming). RIM on the other hand has well the Pearl, the Pearl Flip, Curve, Curve 8900, the 8800 series, Bold and Storm. Spanning every network in this country and many more across the world. Some of which haven't been out long or just plain haven't been released yet. I see this holiday season being a pure explosion for RIM. At&t will stop screwing them over and finally a fair comparison will become available with the Storm. What will Apple have? Maybe a steaming hott update that ruins your jailbreak (oh let me get one of those!). But seriously no. They won't have a new phone entering this holiday season. No big deal if its the best phone ever, but I hear that's not what EVERYONE thinks.

In short it'll take some time before its clear which one is just plain better. People have argued that the iPhone would be the end all device and RIM and all others should just step aside. But what has happened? Well some other feature intense phones have come to market to stop that from happening. Like the Winmo phone people might actually want the HTC Touch HD, or the Google G1, the BlackBerry Storm to name a few. Each are unique and similar. Question is which one fits your needs the best. I know its not the iPhone because "its too advanced to be compatible with anything else!"

Personally I wouldn't even worry about which one you think is the best. In about a year something else will become available that will spark a whole new set of posts on blogs like this. Get what you want and use the crap out it until then!

BERRYCURVE no está en línea Stack level 5
    That's great if they sold, what 6.9 million Iphones, the funny thing for me is I don't really see anyone with them. I have a large group of friends I hang out with, we party often and I travel as often as possible. Yet I saw someone with an Iphone for the first time going to the movies a few months back. It makes me wonder just who is really buying these devices. Then again the Apple stores stay flooded full of those learning how to use their new device...

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    It is interesting to see what the sales will be once the Bold is released in Nov. Do you guys think that it will drive the numbers up or remain relatively the same? And to what effect will the slow release and the hold up will cause RIM?

Do you guys think with the launch of the Storm and Javelin help RIM out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast