Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Got my new battery in the mail yesterday, so I replaced the old one in ... Android Smartphones forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Got my new battery in the mail yesterday, so I replaced the old one in my phone and got it all charged up. Unfortunately, after getting it charged and ready to use the red battery icon came back, so apparently my battery wasn't going bad and causing the problem.

Oddly though, the icon turning red hasn't been as bad since my original post. When I originally posted this thread my battery icon was turning and staying red for majority of the day. But gradually this past week it has happened less and less. At least until I replaced it that is LOL!

Another thing... after replacing my battery yesterday and rebooting my device, I pulled down the notification area on my home screen and there is now a row of 5 icons (Maps, MailDroid, Clock, View Event & Location Setting) at the top of the notification area which were never there before. So I'm not sure where they came from or why they're there.

Anyone else have any clue as to why my battery icon is turning red?

Also, does anyone know why those 5 icons suddenly appeared in the notification area?

Thanks again to all who reply!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm sorry Java. Did a lot of reading on not only that device but others with the same issue. Battery failure was the common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    I'm sorry Java. Did a lot of reading on not only that device but others with the same issue. Battery failure was the common problem.
    No need to be sorry, I was wanting to try another battery anyway. I'm just worried because I can't afford another phone if something happens to this one. To buy one outright is just more than I can afford, and to use my free upgrade with Verizon would mean I have to sign another 2-year agreement AND change my calling plan because of their new shared data BS, which will raise my bill and not actually be free at all

Hopefully I'll get it figured out, and hopefully soon!

Thanks though jfcooley, at least you tried!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

You're rooted. Have you tried a different ROM? (If not nandroid 1st!)

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ahem ... I can't believe this . Say again?
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-23-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    I am actually in the middle of trying to install a new ROM and a firmware update, but only got as far as nandroid. Now I suddenly can't install (or update) anything without getting a "Insufficient Storage" error, and my new battery went from 100% down to 47% in four hours
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    Yeah, my foot tastes good...
    Delfim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaBratt View Post
    I am actually in the middle of trying to install a new ROM and a firmware update, but only got as far as nandroid. Now I suddenly can't install (or update) anything without getting a "Insufficient Storage" error, and my new battery went from 100% down to 47% in four hours

Will look into after work. Unless Glenn hops in.

Sorry it took me so long, but as usual this ended up being an all day ordeal, but I managed to install a firmware update and flash a new ROM (files located in post #2).

I'm not real happy that everything on my device is completely different now, but the real issue is that my tether doesn't work anymore. In fact, most of anything that needs WiFi doesn't work. I can turn it on, but the minute I try to use it in any way or connect to it, it disconnects. So with an internet allowance at home, this really screws me

Anyone want to take a stab at what can be done to fix this because I cannot be without tether?

Thanks guys (and gals)!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Kernael on that one doesn't support tether.
    I may have something that will work.

Install this:
    http://db.tt/6rmbKX5z

Settings/ms clamping may need to be checked, as will routing fix.

Setup method may need to be changed as well. Your device isn't listed in settings so I'd use generic if auto doesn't work.

Its the ROM that ist tethering, not the devices fault.

Or try this
    http://db.tt/PLrZOQCm

Seems Jellybean is causing tether issue from what I can read and understand this early.

Those are the only 2 apps I have. I scanned over the dev section at xda, looks like none of the jb Rome have working tether.

Try the cm7 ( gingerbread) unless there's something in Sense and Jellybean you have to have.

Will check in today. You should get tether back if you go back to the original ROM. I'm praying you did a nandroid

Kernael on that one doesn't support tether.
    I may have something that will work.

Install this:
    http://db.tt/6rmbKX5z

Settings/ms clamping may need to be checked, as will routing fix.

Setup method may need to be changed as well. Your device isn't listed in settings so I'd use generic if auto doesn't work.

Its the ROM that ist tethering, not the devices fault.
    Or try this
    http://db.tt/PLrZOQCm

Seems Jellybean is causing tether issue from what I can read and understand this early.

Those are the only 2 apps I have. I scanned over the dev section at xda, looks like none of the jb Rome have working tether.

Try the cm7 ( gingerbread) unless there's something in Sense and Jellybean you have to have.

Will check in today. You should get tether back if you go back to the original ROM. I'm praying you did a nandroid
    Thanks a bunch for the reply, jfcooley!!

Yeah I wasn't aware of the tether issue (lack of kernel source) until this morning, when I went back and reviewed the thread the files came from. But in my own defense, I didn't choose this ROM, my friend who helped me install it did

So I installed the app from the first link, fiddled with the settings a few times, but still didn't have any luck connecting. The log was showing errors for initializing WiFi (same as before), and for something called SoftTap (that wasn't there before). I then removed that app and installed the second one, which basically does the exact same thing as the wireless tether app I have. I'll select to turn on Wifi and within 2 seconds it initializes, turns on and back off again.

But thanks a bunch for trying!!

Now I need to figure out what to do because not being able to use tether is a deal breaker for me, so I will need to flash a new ROM (so not looking forward to that!). Problem is, I don't actually KNOW anything about this process, or choosing one for that matter. I find this very intimidating, not to mention I'm baffled as to why people think this stuff is fun LOL

I really liked the first ROM I used, Skyraider Zeus. The only reason I switched from it to this one (ViperINC) was the issue with the red battery icon. Which IMO, changing ROM's only seemed to move/hide the problem and not actually fix it (if that makes sense).

Another thing I don't much like about this ROM... I have way too many apps for 'Settings'. I don't need THAT much customization, and it does seem pretty laggy to me. And don't even get me started on the new keyboard LOL!

But I need to get something so I have WiFi within the next few days because I'm having a minor surgery on Thursday and may be laid up for a day or two.

I am a power-user, so I don't need anything too fancy, just something simple easy to use and MUST have the ability to use wireless tether. It would be even better if I can just install it too, without having to upgrade or downgrade something else turning the process into an all day ordeal (which has happened to me every time so far).

So does anyone know of a ROM like that?
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Go with CM7.

Go with CM7.
    Sorry, I have no idea what that means

In the meantime, I attempted to flash a new ROM and things haven't been going well

I flashed Magnolia 2.1.1 Final, and it seemed to work. BUT then as soon as my device was completely reloaded I got an error that "com.htc.bg" unexpectedly quit. I selected force close and immediately after got another error that "android.process.acore" unexpectedly quit working. Unfortunately selecting force close does nothing as it just immediately pops up over and over again

I just finished performing a full wipe, including data/factory reset and cache partition (3 times just to be sure), so I'm going to give it another go and see if it works this time. If it doesn't, I'll be back hunting for another ROM because this one, in it's current state, won't allow me to use my device at all

Will post again here shortly after second install... fingers crossed!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Well the triple wipe must have been the secret because it appears to be working fine now

I wanted to post some screenshots, but unfortunately the option to do so is gone from my device.

Does anyone know how I can get the screenshot option (while keeping power options, reboot, power off etc) to appear when I hold down the power button, like it was before?

Thanks!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast