My thoughts earlier were to go with the m8 but know I'm kinda leaning pretty heavily on the s5.Here's how I see it...
2. I like the bandaid on the back and the new bezel. Gives it a good feel in the had and could be carried naked easily.
3. I love my s4 and this could only be better.
4. Did I say it was waterproof?
1. Pretty much the same as the s4
2. No root???
1. Better build quality. Metal
2. Different manufacturer. I like HTC.
3. Different OS...or what ever you call what the manufacturer does to the Android system.
4. Better speakers. I hardly ever use them but I suppose they would help on notifications.
1. Smaller unremovable battery.
2. Slippery....Would probably use a case ,then there goes the beautiful build quality.
M8. But go see working models of both before you decide.
There are some nice clear cases and some very minimal cases available. I will be doing a review on a case this weekend, but its really neither of those. Nice though.
The M8 also has an extreme power saver feature and a regular power saver that works well. Fast Dormacey (it cuts data after periods of unused) works well.At work I have crap signal, roaming most of the time. I put power saver on and turn off data completely, usually burn only 2-5% every 4 hours or so. With power saver off I can get about 4-5 he's screen, but I'd have to try. I average 3 easily.
Hold them both, look at the UI. Read the threads for both on XDA, any issues will be magnified there.
I absolutely love this phone. Remember that it can be converted (check vVerizon forum to be sure) to a Play edition.
Also Samsung announced Knox 2.0 will be going to the S5. Knox sucks in my opinion.
Oh, rooting is pretty easy. If you decide to S-Off the M8, there are some that simply won't now. Nothing you can do to tell which ones are effected. S-off isn't that important, you can still root, flash etc.
Gotta go, will help more if any questions, but go to TS.
What is S-off
What is play edition
And you think Verizon edition can still be rooted?
I have another friend really trying to sway me towards the M8. I'm wishy washy,kinda leaning that way now. I've held a dummy s5 but haven't felt and m8. I'll be going to V today. Thanks for the opinions Del and Jay.