Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

I noticed that there isn't a thread dedicated to the phone (in the samsung android ... Android Smartphones forum

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3

I'll start it.......Samsung Galaxy S2

Advertisement

I noticed that there isn't a thread dedicated to the phone (in the samsung android phone section), so I thought I would get one going.

I have been a blackberry user for about 8 years and have had multiple of damn near every model. Well, in the last year I am on my 4th torch (warranty replacements), I made the decision to leave blackberry in the dust and take the plunge.

I did a good bit of research and landed on the Samsung Galaxy s2. Although all my friends told me I was inane to pass up the new iphone, I didn't see anything that really wowwww'd me, over the S2 that is. So after selling my torch on ebay last nite, and ordering the S2 this morning(walmart.com $144.99!!!!), I sit hear impatiently waiting!!!!

Soooooooooo. Is there anything that you guys recommend as a "must have" regarding android...remember, I have never had an android phone.

Some things that I am curious of are:

1. Can i do periodic back-ups like I did via desktop manager with blackberry?
    2. Is there a type of software like Desktop mgr for android? To do backups, device switches, restores?
    3. Can I easily swap contacts and email accounts to this new phone like I could with blackberry. I would get a new phone(blackberry), plug it in, and restore everything from my old phone.
    4. My fav apps are: Poynt, nrange golf gps, bloomberg mobile(stock market ap), accuweather, pandora, Scoremobile, shazaam....just to name a few......does anybody know if these will be available for android?

That's all I can think of right now........For those of you that have this phone, or a newer android smartphone, what do you love about it best????????

As always, thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Just in case no one answers, I will a bit later. Just got off work and beat.
    Congrats on the galaxy. Del has one and loves it.

I'm sure there's software that will back up. You could just copy your sd card contents periodically. Your contacts, calendar are backed up to Google whenever you add a new contact, reboot. If you're using Gmail your emails are actually kept on their servers. You can delete them but they remain in the trash on the server until you go online and delete.

As for restoring, shouldn't need to. A factory reset will wipe it all so don't unless you're sure. If you don't root then its doubtful you will do anything to need a restore. Since you can't access system folder without root. Root only apps (usually) wont run without root, so pretty safe.

As far as swapping, you wouldn't do anything assuming you stay with Android. When you first booted your SG2 you had to run setup. On a new phone you would do the same, using your Google login, which would auto sync all your contacts and emails and calendar.

As for apps just search the market. Best weather is BeWeather (free is good but buy that one). As for the others I'm sure you will find most.

I use a rooted Evo 3D, and a rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    I love that its mine. HTC or Sammy (or Google) tells me how its gotta look, what I can use, etc. Both my devices run smoothly stock and with their custom ROMS.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 10-18-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: shower does wonders.

Jf, thanks for the great info...I didn't realize google was such a big part. It's nice that I can use google and set everything up...

I do have one question, I hae seen a lot of references to "rooting". I have not clue what that means or is. Is it something that needs to be done, should be done, or not a good idea for anyone that's not a wizard..lol....thanks again!

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    hey,also you can drop it from six feet onto concrete with very little damage!
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Rooting should NEVER be done unless you understand the potential risks and you can accept them. It doesn't need to be done.

I'd suggest simply Googling "what is rooting" or "rooting android" . There are plenty of explanations online. Also look up S-OFF.

What rooting allows is complete access to your phones system. With S-OFF you will have an unlocked bootloader (another term) which will allow nandroid backups (a backup of your phone EXACTLY as it is at the time), change radio versions (sometimes better reception), chande ROMs (custom versions of touchwiz, or vanilla gingerbread, change kernels (the core of Androids Gingerbread), run Apps that do these things for you (ROM manager, kernal manager), back up all your apps (Titanium Backup), or overclock your device.

The risks could be bricking your phone (exactly as it sounds) and you'll void the warrenty.

I root, but its a choice not a requirement.
    riffman likes this.

wow, I figured it was over my head....the only kernals I know of come from corn cobs and vanilla gingerbread sounds delicious...so unless these are what you're talking about I think I'm gonna pass on rooting. Thanks though for the info, I am very interested in learning this kinda stuff, even if I don't do it or know how...

Of course if root you will get Ice Cream Sandwich earlier. Sammy is notoriously slow to update.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    mmm ice cream
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Nix what I said about Sammy. Seems they've resolved to be faster with updates once ICS is released.

Is it pretty easy to do an update? With my bb I just connected to desktop mgr and clicked the update button and it took me through the process.....sorry I keep bringing up the desktop mgr stuff, I'm leaving it behind but it's all I know.....

You'll get used to it.
    Updates are pushed over the air. You will get a notification, then you just download it. Best done over wifi if you can.

riffman no está en línea Stack Professional

Galaxy SII (AT&T)

Hey Nova,

I just recently got tired of Apple dragging their heels while everybody waits for yet another iPhone to show up. That 3.5" screen got old when I compared it to the availability of over 4" on the Sammy. I also got an even MORE enticing deal at Walmart. At the local store here in Spokane (Wa) the sale price on a Galaxy SII with a qualified upgrade was $98, and for a week prior to Valentine's day, they would turn around and hand you a $50 Walmart gift card, bringing down the price to $48! I couldn't pass it up.
    Most of the apps you listed are available, either for free or at most, $1.99. Most of those listed are free though, from what I recall.
    One major aspect I love about the Galaxy SII is the presence of 12gb of "USB storage" before even putting in an sd card. SWEET!
    The pc just treats it like another sd, even calling it such.
    I rooted mine the day after I got it, but having rooted/jailbroken so many phones, I was aware of the implications. Rooting took me less than ten minutes, and I had a custom rom loaded inside of 45 minutes, including the web to pc download. Here are the best rooting instructions, with a great video-http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1301682. And you should find a rom you like here http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1304 .If you need any hints/help don't hesitate to get ahold of me- chris.covell60@gmail.com.
    But anyway, you should really love it once you are used to it.
    Chris
    Delfim and jfcooley like this.
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    " I do many things well- none of which generate income"
    - riffman

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Welcome back Chris. Nice...

Nova, there's not much to add. Stock SII OS with Touchwiz is enough to belittle everything else.
    Regarding apps, backups etc. Google takes care of that. Just take the step to use Google Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Docs etc. and when you find the need to do a hard reset (probably never) and after you sign in all this lot will be restored on your phone. And quite quickly too.
    If you have any questions just give a holler.
    In the meantime, enjoy it.

Just want to say that SG2 (sprint) with ics is amazing. Official leak, quick with few bugs at moment. Touchwiz on ics isntt bad at all, device is quick and responsive.

Finally have near complete ics.

riffman no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm Dl'ing the Bautista Foxhound rom for GalaxySII for At&T, and after I have it loaded and running a while, I will offer up info on it. According to Derick at over at galaxys2root.com, and he looks at all of them out there,he considers this one of the best, so I consider his recomondation very high. I will keep you posted. :-)
    RogerG and Delfim like this.
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    " I do many things well- none of which generate income"
    - riffman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast