Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

So Del gave his "What I Say" opinion and off I remember correctly it was ... Android Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

HTC M8

Advertisement

So Del gave his "What I Say" opinion and off I remember correctly it was good but not great. So I feel I should weigh in after a whopping 2 days of ownership.

I was wrong about metal. I suspected as much after playing with Cassies M7 but was too stubborn to admit it. It does make a difference in how the device feels and, to some degree, the experience overall. I font know if it is a must have, but I do recommend it. Mine is the gun metal grey which suits me just fine. The color is perfect and lends to the metals feeling of...ahem...premium quality.

The screen is supurb, colors are vivid but not over saturated. I see how washed out my Nexus looked by comparison and I prefer it over the S4 screen. The glass is flush where it meets metal, again feeling very (sigh) premium.

The only drawback is just how slippery the damn thing is. I'm afraid I'll drop it just checking the time.

Software is better than I remember Sense being. I'm short on time so I'll get into that later. I Wil say this is the first time I've preferred an overlay from a device manufacturer over AOSP. I actually find some of the features useful.

I played with an S5 for a little while and I have to say....the HTC is a better device not only in look and feel but in software as well.
    PapaMag and Delfim like this.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Yeah I bet that kinda sucks on the metal/slippery. You want to see and feel the metal but need a case to make it easier to hang on to.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

That's pretty spot on.

Software wise, Sense has improved enough that it doesn't get in its own way. The exception is BlinkFeed which I find useless. I will say that HTC believes in bloat. I know some things like HTC back-up and the like are designed around making life easier for those who may not be as experienced, some things need to be trimmed.

Overall I find it quick and responsive. I like thebattery saving modes that are quick toggles . At work this is very nice to have since I can't get a signal. The device will turn off data after a period of inactivity.

The camera is adequate footer me. I've felt that Cassies M7 took clearer pictures than my S4, Nexus, and G2. The same holds true with this. The features included with thecamera seem mostly useful, Emma enjoys the soldier mode that shows a countdown before taking a pic.

Quick toggles are much like AOSP, colors are muted but still seems green is used a bit too much. Apps are quick to open and it seems memory is managed well.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm staying stock. Rooted, but still stock.

For those looking to upgrade to the S5, I strongly encourage you to at least look at the M8.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I'm just about convinced. If I got one it would probably be the m8. If nothing more,for the change of pace. I'm really trying to stay with my S4 and not get encouraged by all this hoopla.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Ultimately it's a matter of preference. There's no wrong choice between the S5 or M8. I think it would be wise to look at either before buying the other .

Sorry about typos. I'm tired. 6 days of 3 am wake ups and getting to bed around 10:30

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    HTC has always been a better quality phone than any other Android device. Better materials, better finishing and the best screen and sound as well.
    The closest rival is Sony. Samsung is very poor when drawn into this type of comparison.
    I'm surprised you like Sense. But I'm happy you do. For the time being...

Remember my last HTC was the Evo 3D. Not a very good device, and we had 2 end up failing. This is an exceptional device. I'm in love with it.
    PapaMag and Delfim like this.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Glad you love it JF, nothing more comforting than loving what you have.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

I never thought I would abandon AOSP for Sense of all things. I miss a few things, mostly convince mods like 4 way reboot. I'm not flashing a lot so I guess that really doesn't matter.

I don't have any complaints really. I'm just surprised at the look and feel of this device.

I didn't mention the sound. Loud is the first word that comes to mind. I won't miss a call if the volume is up and in my pocket.

Its clear and the stereo speakers produce nice deep (for a phone) sound. I actually find I enjoy having sound on while playing games. Boom Sound...well that's what has replaced Beats. From most of what I've read its equalizer software trickery.

An interesting note is that there is a line in the default.XML referring to Harmon Kardon. Now a rumor has it that Sprint has a special version including Harmon Kardon in some way. I've enabled this software but could tell little difference (if any) between it and Boom Sound. Some have speculated that this is all preparation for a future model that includes Harmon Kardon speakers, while others speculate this and all Sprint versions have said speakers already. I couldn't say, and frankly don't care. Sounds pretty good to me as is.

This is another area Sense won me over. I've used many music apps and have never really been happy. The Sense music app is fairly intuitive and simple enough but allows me to manage music easily.

I've downloaded a modified Sense ROM or two, but after careful consideration I see no reason to install. I'm pleased and.....delighted with Stock Sense 6.
    PapaMag and KTW like this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Mama, Jay is being a bad Droid! He's not ROM(ing), and he has some Sense lately.
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-28-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    PapaMag likes this.

Cassie find it funny, and so do I. Maybe I'm getting older.
    I've been wrong. Wrong about the fit and finish, and about Sense. Its far less offending than TW, and looks better than whatever LG calls its UI.

I've reexamined the One M7. I'm finding that I like it as well now that my prejudice has been lifted.

I'm not ready or interested in an iPhone, but I will admit I wonder how I would feel after using one for a little while. I doubt my opinion would change as drastically, but I would imagine it would change.

There a lesson here somewhere. I'm too damn tired to look for it...
    PapaMag, RogerG, Delfim and 1 others like this.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Good to hear JF. I know what you mean by outgrowing prejudices (was pro HTC and Android once, now use a Samsung feature(dumb) phone and loving it. I easily get a lot more than a week of battery life and it doesn't even have AA batteries! Just common practical everyday use for me. The Lumia is fantastic but I don't know why I signed a 2 year contract when I already have an S2 and a PC.

Sorry JF, I know this is your thread, just saying I've been there buddy

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Oi KTW. Jay May have been prejudiced but he's never been, and will not be I'm sure, as retrogressive (or to retrograde) as you. I don't
    think any of us will. Geez! All I need for you to tell us now is you found a cell phone with AAA batteries...

<just keeps quiet>
    Delfim and KTW like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast