OK, so I would love The Air Dock but currently backordered. So I decided to ... Android Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Homemade Wireless car charger 1.0

Advertisement

OK, so I would love The Air Dock but currently backordered. So I decided to make my own to hold me over.

I bought a cheap holder at Wally World ($11) and got to thinking.

I took the head of the holder off and removed the clamps that grip the phone. Only took removing 4 screws. While I had it off I attached the Nexus 5 (Google Qi Charger) to the head and ran some electrical tape around it just to be sure. Its not elegant but serves its purpose. Then I reassembled the head but screwed it to the body just before, again to make sure the cheap crap didn't drop my Nexus while I was driving.

I bought a Belkin, or Griffen (can't remember) 2 amp USB car charger plug. Its important to note it has to be 2 amps or it won't work. You also MUST use the cable that came with the Qi charger from Google.

I have a cubby hole that was just wide enough to wedge the holder in securely. I didn't want a permanent install since I do plan on getting an Air Dock. Pictures show the final, if slightly ugly, install.

Initially it holds tight and charges about the same. I suspect that while streaming it won't charge as fast.

I tried the tablet and it sits there and charges but its way to unstable to keep and use.

I intend to pretty this up a bit. Will update.

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Very innovative to say the least. Hey whatever works, and I'm sure you can clean it up a bit and somebody will ask you where you bought it.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Drive to work, stayed put. Damn plug light was blinding. Not sure why such a bright led on it. Covered it, but going to replace that led....