Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attachment 33337 Attachment 33336 Galaxy Tab 10.1 User Review Pros: Light and thin, beautiful screen, ... Android Smartphones forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Hillbilly Review- Galaxy Tab 10.1

Advertisement

Attachment 33337Attachment 33336Galaxy Tab 10.1 User Review

Pros: Light and thin, beautiful screen, wifi works great, easy to use, Gorilla Glass, Honeycomb 3.1, fast, good battery life, speakers.

Cons: Honeycomb 3.1, wicked fingerprints, some software support lacking.

So I've had this for 3 days. Doesn't sound like much, but I've been able to spend a lot of time with it.

Unboxing was a pretty straightforward event, with only the device, charger, and headphones to pull out. The Galaxy (as most tabs) can best be described as a slab of glass. Its very thin, with a brushed metal plastic backing. While plastic it doesn't take away from the premium feel of the device. There is a power button and volume rocker at the top, the only two o buttons on the device. Both feel solid and are easy to use. The power can be hit inadvertently though depending on how you hold it in portrait. Two speakers are recessed on the edges and sound pretty good for a mobile device. The screen glass is Gorilla Glass, and shows every fingerprint, however the screen mows over them easily. Its crisp and displays rich colors.

You'll see I put Honeycomb in both the pros and cons. Its a mostly good OS providing a hiccup here and there. Depending on when you get your tab, you may have 3.0 installed. Samsung then updates once you get going. I used 3.0 (which installed is vanilla) for a bit, and found that it mainly frustrated me. The biggest issue was keyboard lag online, sometimes getting words behind. Thankfully the update to 3.1 fixed that.

Honeycomb 3.1 on the tab comes with Touchwiz. This is good and bad, but mainly because I'm used to Gingerbread and Sense. Speaking of Gingerbread, its the little differences that take me the most getting used to. Setting up keyboards has extra menus in HC, and it took me a bit to grasp them. Other little differences include Sammy's screenshot button right beside the open apps toggle. My gallery is full of screenshots taken by mistake. Not a deal breaker at all just irritating

The update also added a host of Sammy bloarware, from a music media hub to yet another app store. Haven't tried to remove any of it yet, I'm guessing it won't come off.
    Along with bloatware you also get a guickbar that hides below the screen to be pulled up with a little arrow in the middle of the screen. Its a nice touch, but would like to be able to change the shortcuts, I can't find any way yet.

Sammy throws in a host of Widgets, most of which any Android user has seen before. What is different is the ability to resize some to fit your layout. I thought this a nice touch.

The browser is standard stock fare. Nice tabs and an additional speed dial startup screen with your most visited links. Again, android users will be right at home. New users will take a bit to get accustomed, but should be zipping around in no time. Video streams nicely, although it buffers a bit more than my Evo 3D on the same connection.

The device is quick. Switching screens, opening apps, all are snappy. Graphic intensive games run smoothly, but if not specifically for the tab can lack crispness. Otherwise everything runs pretty smooth and trouble free.

Software support isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it does have a long way to go. Hopefully we'll see more support as android tabs sell.

There you have it. Not professional by any means, but a review just the same. Any questions, throw em at me
    Last edited by jfcooley; 08-22-2011 at 08:19 AM.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Sounds like you are satisfied for the most part, and I'm sure it will only get better over time. Ought to be able to grab cynogenMod7 for it soon I would imagine, they have one for every other device

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Good review there Jay ! Hillbilly ? Nah...

I´m glad you're at home with it. Lots of apps that you use on your smartphone have been adapted to the tablet. Fancy or Beautiful widgets work very well. I'm going to look for the Swift X keyboard beta and send it over for you to try out. You´ll love the thumb kb it comes with. Better than the original kb.

Thanks for the review bro. LEAVE THE PAD NOW. GO AND PASS SOME TIME WITH THE MISSUS, she's complainin'

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Nicely done JFC!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Good review there Jay ! Hillbilly ? Nah...

I´m glad you're at home with it. Lots of apps that you use on your smartphone have been adapted to the tablet. Fancy or Beautiful widgets work very well. I'm going to look for the Swift X keyboard beta and send it over for you to try out. You´ll love the thumb kb it comes with. Better than the original kb.

Thanks for the review bro. LEAVE THE PAD NOW. GO AND PASS SOME TIME WITH THE MISSUS, she's complainin'
    I got swiftkey free from amazon, is it different?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Totally different And good.
    The version for Tablet. Swift key +

Cool. Send it when you can, no hurry. Installing XP on a donated computer, so hands full.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice review, Jay, thanks.

Update since Roger pulled my attention back here.

Rooted today. With a custom rom its faster and smooth as a baby's bottom. Only issue I have now is trying to theme to my taste

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Good review! How do you like it weight wise? I agree about the bloatware, its a pain! Good luck with the Galaxy Tab

Weight, yeah i forgot about that. Is pretty light to me. Comfortable to hold. I believe specs put it a little over a pound.

I killed the bloated i didn't need last night. Still kept some of the widgets since most can be rseized.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Nice review J!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

For anyone interested, added a screenshot and bad pic of device.

As well I'm thinking of doing a follow up since I've now had time to get to know this device. Some thoughts have changed..

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    For anyone interested, added a screenshot and bad pic of device.

As well I'm thinking of doing a follow up since I've now had time to get to know this device. Some thoughts have changed..
    Always nice to have as much info as possible, so please do!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah Jay, waddya waidin' fir...

xcuz brudder, a'm a tryin' to hony up on mah hillbilly phonetics...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast