Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Will do as soon as I get my class 6 card. Even without those, I ... Android Smartphones forum

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

Will do as soon as I get my class 6 card. Even without those, I feel the phone is a lot quicker and I'm just loving it! I hope future android devices will be able to be rooted. This is simply amazing! Now I know what I've been missing out on.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRC1) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage_Man View Post
    Install Cyanogen's recovery boot img v. 1.4. Its very handy when flashing new roms and setting up backups. Read up about installing apps2sd and either compcache or Linux swap on your sd card. Both of these will give you a performance boost.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRC1) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1
    I just read up on linux swap vs compcache vs stock cm and it said the linux swap was fastest, then stock cm, then cc. Is this really necessary? What is swapping anyway?

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    Swapping is similiar to a virtual memory that's set up on your sdcard(used as a hard drive extension). It frees up your Android system's memory and it's not a requirement. Many people don't use it at all. Here's a link I found that better explains it:

http://linux.com/news/software/appli...nux-swap-space

By the way, since you rooted, you should have auto-rotate now running and mult-touch browsing working. Also, you will never be limited to installing any Android apps as alot of them require root in order to work. If you think you are missing anything that Cyanogen advertises on his roms, then maybe check all of your phone's settings and/or developer settings to ensure everything is set to function properly.

Does this have a positive effect on battery life too? I've been playing with it now non-stop for about 2hrs on and off 3g coverage with bt and wifi on and I'm still 60%+. Also, will I still need an app like taskiller to kill background progs or does cm do that automatically?

I don't know if the battery perf is better than the stock perf since I've only ever ran a rooted g1. Cyanogen has been tweaking the CM rom for 2 months+ with over 17 updates/enhancements. He has the best rom for all around speed, stability, batt life, etc.

Also, look up the Kspec Kustoms Oreo series theme on the xda site. This theme is dedicated to the CM rom and he updates about as often as CM. Just make sure the version number matches the CM rom series.

I use the free version TasKiller to control running apps. I put the widget on my homescreen and just tap it throughout the day to kill apps.

I don't know if the battery perf is better than the stock perf since I've only ever ran a rooted g1. Cyanogen has been tweaking the CM rom for 2 months+ with over 17 updates/enhancements. He has the best rom for all around speed, stability, batt life, etc.

Also, look up the Kspec Kustoms Oreo series theme on the xda site. This theme is dedicated to the CM rom and he updates about as often as CM. Just make sure the version number matches the CM rom series.

I use the free version TasKiller to control running apps. I put the widget on my homescreen and just tap it throughout the day to kill apps.
    sorry for asking so many questions, but everytime i want to add something, i'll have to "flash" it onto the phone? and is that what i need the recovery img 1.4 for?
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePearlPXL View Post
    sorry for asking so many questions, but everytime i want to add something, i'll have to "flash" it onto the phone? and is that what i need the recovery img 1.4 for?
    Yes and yes. You put the OS on and then put the theme flashed on top of it. When you download the newest os or them, put it on the root directory of your sd card). Hold down the call, end, and menu buttons to reboot. Immediately hold down the home button and in 10-15 seconds the recovery screen pops up. You can then pick the option to install any .zip from the sd card.

You can also make backups from the recovery screen using Nandroid backup. It will save you the headache of reinstalling everything if you screw up.

Yes and yes. You put the OS on and then put the theme flashed on top of it. When you download the newest os or theme, put it on the root directory of your sd card). Hold down the call, end, and menu buttons to reboot. Immediately hold down the home button and in 10-15 seconds the recovery screen pops up. You can then pick the option to install any .zip from the sd card.

You can also make backups from the recovery screen using Nandroid backup. It will save you the headache of reinstalling everything if you screw up.

Yes and yes. You put the OS on and then put the theme flashed on top of it. When you download the newest os or them, put it on the root directory of your sd card). Hold down the call, end, and menu buttons to reboot. Immediately hold down the home button and in 10-15 seconds the recovery screen pops up. You can then pick the option to install any .zip from the sd card.

ok so for example, i want to get my stock ringtones back and it's in a zip file. does that mean i have to flash it onto the phone? or that's just a simple drag and drop unzipping?
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

Thats simply drag and drop....only flash when installing the os or the theme.

Great thanks for all the help. I've since rooted my friend's G1 and we're both loving it

Awesome! It's good to finally see the Android forums waking up on the Stacks. I've had to go to XDA-Developers to learn all about the OS and it's capabilities and tweaks...it would be nice to get that chatter going on over here too.

Yeah it is getting lively. Another thing, I have to flash on cyan's rec img 1.4 or do I just drop it into my sd for later use?

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Can someone send me a link to the stock ringtones please? Either a link or PM please. Thanks.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/COC10) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    Btw.... im dying for slingplayer on android!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/COC10) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast